Advice needed Tyre Size and Recommendation

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
Going to purchase a couple of new tyres for a family friend from ProBikeKit (including into my+brothers ever increasing order), he was 700*35C wheels.

1) what is the narrowest tyre he can get away with ?
2) recommendation for a good/narrow nearly bulletproof tyre ?

thanks....

Anyone know if ProBikeKit is going to float as a public company, im going to buy shares in them.

700x30c Tioga Komodo is a good touring tyre from OEM manufacturer Mitsuboshi
:100psi & 30$ each, probably wouldn't recommend much narrower than that on a
bike with 700x35's.
Steve @ IDEAL WA

news:[email protected]...

MikeyOz wrote:
> Going to purchase a couple of new tyres for a family friend from
> ProBikeKit (including into my+brothers ever increasing order), he was
> 700*35C wheels.
>
> 1) what is the narrowest tyre he can get away with ?
> 2) recommendation for a good/narrow nearly bulletproof tyre ?
>
> thanks....
>
> Anyone know if ProBikeKit is going to float as a public company, im
> going to buy shares in them.

Then they'd have to start making bigger profits to keep the
shareholders super fund managers happy, so they'd have to raise their
prices. you sure you want that? :)

Bleve said:
MikeyOz wrote:
> Going to purchase a couple of new tyres for a family friend from
> ProBikeKit (including into my+brothers ever increasing order), he was
> 700*35C wheels.
>
> 1) what is the narrowest tyre he can get away with ?
> 2) recommendation for a good/narrow nearly bulletproof tyre ?
>
> thanks....
>
> Anyone know if ProBikeKit is going to float as a public company, im
> going to buy shares in them.

Then they'd have to start making bigger profits to keep the
shareholders super fund managers happy, so they'd have to raise their
prices. you sure you want that? :)
what! no they wouldn't... they could just cut staff, move off-shore, or is it already a 1 guy working in a shed in the basement of a beijing apartment complex ?

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Going to purchase a couple of new tyres for a family friend from
> ProBikeKit (including into my+brothers ever increasing order), he was
> 700*35C wheels.
>
> 1) what is the narrowest tyre he can get away with ?
> 2) recommendation for a good/narrow nearly bulletproof tyre ?
>
> thanks....

I've got some 28mm Vittoria Randonneurs for my tourer which have been great.

Adam

MikeyOz said:
Going to purchase a couple of new tyres for a family friend from ProBikeKit (including into my+brothers ever increasing order), he was 700*35C wheels.

1) what is the narrowest tyre he can get away with ?
2) recommendation for a good/narrow nearly bulletproof tyre ?

thanks....

Anyone know if ProBikeKit is going to float as a public company, im going to buy shares in them.

There is a good table on tyre sizes for various rim sizes here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html, about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Does your friend have 700 x 35c wheels or is that the tyre size that he is currently using? The tyre table relies on you or your friend measuring the inside width of the rim. I used it successfully when I was looking for 24 inch slicks to put on one of the kid's MTBs before a long (for her) road ride.

SteveA

SteveA said:
Does your friend have 700 x 35c wheels or is that the tyre size that he is currently using? The tyre table relies on you or your friend measuring the inside width of the rim. I used it successfully when I was looking for 24 inch slicks to put on one of the kid's MTBs before a long (for her) road ride.

SteveA

That is the size of the wheels his has, so I was wondering what is the smallest tyre he could get away with putting in there, but are you saying he may have given my the tyre value in stead of the wheel ?

MikeyOz said:
That is the size of the wheels his has, so I was wondering what is the smallest tyre he could get away with putting in there, but are you saying he may have given my the tyre value in stead of the wheel ?
Mebbe. The width of the wheel that one manufacturer makes to fit a 700c 35 tyre and labels for a 700c 35 tyre may vary from what another manufacturer makes and labels as the same size.

Get your mate to take the tyre off his rim and measure the inside width. My guess is that it could be anywhere from about 16 or 17mm to about 21 or 22mm. Then have a look at the Sheldon Brown table.

The advice from the other Steve on this thread is consistently good too (I've got advice from him face to face on occasion.)

SteveA

SteveA wrote:

> Mebbe. The width of the wheel that one manufacturer makes to fit a
> 700c 35 tyre and labels for a 700c 35 tyre may vary from what another
> manufacturer makes and labels as the same size.

700c x 35 is a _tyre_ size, not a rim size. I don't know of any 700c
rim nearly that wide.

Most 622 mm (700c in the old French system) rims will take a
considerable range of tyre widths. You should select your tyre by your
specific needs and riding conditions, not by whateve happened to come
new on your bike.

Most "hybrids" come with horrible tyres designed to look like
scaled-down mountain bike tyres, with nasty knobs that make them slow
and noisy when ridden on hard surfaces.

I'm guessing a bit here, but given that the bike came with 35s, the
rims are likely wide enough that you wouldn't want to go any narrower
than 28 mm, and 28 mm only for unusually smooth roads.

A good quality 30 or 32 tyre, however, will likely make a BIG
improvement in ride quality. Not sure what's easy to find in Oz, but
look for something with a smooth tread, made in Japan if possible. The
Panaracer Paselas are particularly nice.

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/tyres" Brown
| Like Celtic-flavoured folk/rock? |
| Check out my favorite podcast: |
| http://celticmusicnews.com |