Advice needed

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Marcel Beaudoin, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Just did my taxes, and it looks like I will be getting a good chunk of change back. (Thank god for
    left over tuition). Anyways, for the last several years I have been getting around on rollerblades.
    However, work is now a bit too far for rollerblading, so I am in the market for a decent bike. Does
    anybody have any suggestions on what brands to avoid??

    I am looking for something that is reasonably priced (around $400(Cdn) is the highest I would pay).
    It has to be good on both pavement (repaired and pot-holed) as well as off-road, although road is a
    priority if I have to choose between the two.

    As for bike style, I would prefer a mountain bike style, as opposed to a racing style.

    Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli Remove urka-gurka to reply
    'In a lifetime, the average cat sheds
    14.95 lbs. of fur.'

  2. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    You might be a good candidate for a hybrid bike. They are sturdier than a road bike but their
    larger-sized wheels make them faster (on pavement) than a mountain bike. They will negotiate
    pavement and potholes and occasional dirt roads. They are also called cross bikes. Check them out.

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > Just did my taxes, and it looks like I will be getting a good chunk of change back. (Thank god for
    > left over tuition). Anyways, for the last several years I have been getting around on
    > rollerblades. However, work is now a bit too far for rollerblading, so I am in the market for a
    > decent bike. Does anybody have any suggestions on what brands to avoid??
    >
    > I am looking for something that is reasonably priced (around $400(Cdn) is the highest I would
    > pay). It has to be good on both pavement (repaired and pot-holed) as well as off-road, although
    > road is a priority if I have to choose between the two.
    >
    > As for bike style, I would prefer a mountain bike style, as opposed to a racing style.

    > Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli Remove urka-gurka to reply
    > 'In a lifetime, the average cat sheds
    > 14.95 lbs. of fur.'

  3. Artoris

    Artoris Guest