Advice of Californian Bases and Routes

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Kirby, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Kirby

    Kirby Guest

    Hi,

    I'm from the UK and am visiting relatives in Southern California during
    May and I'd appreciate some advice.

    I'm looking for a couple of locations which can each be used for
    several day (road) rides of 40-70 miles in length. I've previously
    stayed in Ventura and Santa Barbara and am now interested in locations
    between Santa Barbara up to about 100 miles north of San Francisco.

    Recommendations for or pointers to 'classic' rides in the area also
    appreciated.

    Regards, Kirby

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Kirby" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1143488893.987866.231420
    @j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    > I'm looking for a couple of locations which can each be used for
    > several day (road) rides of 40-70 miles in length. I've previously
    > stayed in Ventura and Santa Barbara and am now interested in locations
    > between Santa Barbara up to about 100 miles north of San Francisco.

    Try the Gold Country east of Sacramento. It might be a little more than 100
    miles east of SF. Lots of beautiful rolling (and steeper) hills and the
    wildflowers are blooming in the spring.

    May is a little early for the High Sierra in eastern California, but the
    Sonora Pass is often open in mid-May. Tioga Pass is usually closed by snow
    until the end of May. Snow is above average this year, so passes may be
    closed a little longer than usual.

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    "Kirby" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've previously
    > stayed in Ventura and Santa Barbara and am now interested in locations
    > between Santa Barbara up to about 100 miles north of San Francisco.

    Well, you certainly have a wealth of choices in that region of
    California. Not surprisingly, that's where we do all of our touring.

    I'll give you a few regions to consider:

    Solvang Area:

    Lots of quiet rolling country roads to ride on, and at least one big
    climb (Figueroa Mountain). You can easily do 3-4 days of riding here
    without running out of options. There's one ride to the coast that's
    pretty nice. It's still not too hot in May.

    Paso Robles:

    More country roads similar to Solvang, and a chance to ride along
    the coast. Paso Robles is a pleasant town to spend a few days.

    Carmel Valley:

    A very nice, quiet valley community, just a few miles from the
    tourist area of Carmel and Monterey. Several rides can start here,
    going to Big Sur, over the mountains to the Salinas Valley, or along
    the Monterey coast. We like to stay at the Los Laureles Lodge, they
    are very accommodating bike people.

    Santa Cruz Mountains:

    This is our home turf, with some of the greatest variety of cycling
    roads in one location. I'd suggest staying in one of the funky
    communities in the redwoods (Ben Lomond, Felton, Boulder Creek).
    Tons of riding options.

    Russian River:

    A peaceful, bohemian setting (the famous Bohemian Grove is here).
    Many opportunites: deserted ridge top roads, Highway 1 along the
    coast, the Sonoma Wine Country. We like to stay in Monte Rio or
    Guerneville, for their comfortable atmosphere and access to great
    riding.

    Gold Country:

    Lots of neat little towns tucked into the foothills of the Sierra. A
    little hard to use a single base camp, it's more fun to move from
    town to town every night. The riding tends to be challenging, since
    you're riding up and down creek canyons. But what a great place to
    ride -- if you're up to the challenge.

    I've left off the Sierra for consideration, since that's still a bit
    early. June is better. Riding in the Sierra is amazing, but the best
    roads open up after Memorial Day (May 29th). We had planned our
    first Eastern Sierra trip over Memorial Day weekend, but the snow
    this year might make that trip risky. So now we're moving that trip
    to the southern mountains: Los Padres Forest, Sequoia Forest, Giant
    Sequoia National Monument. Most of those roads should be open by
    then.

    Let me know if you need any more details.

    terry
    --
    Terry Morse --- Undiscovered Country Tours --- http://udctours.com
    Experience the best of California by bicycle