Advice of chaffing..

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by oziedave, Feb 2, 2007.

1. oziedave

oziedave New Member

Been doing a lot of riding in the heat in preparation for a ride across Aus.
    Any advice on avoiding and dealing chaffing and a sweaty backside.????
    Have tried using 3B cream which does seem to help a little with chaffing. Are there any other creams or ointments that will help.????

Tags:

2. daviddd

daviddd New Member

I use Savlon or similar antiseptic cream and despite riding every day I never get sore. I have also spent many years perfecting saddle position, and I make sure all my bikes have the same position wrt pedals, handlebars etc. I have the same Rolls saddle on all my bikes too.

3. anthonyg

anthonyg New Member

Well I'm in favor of the most natural products you can come by. In the old days that would have meant using lanolin which is the oil from wool. These days I use a good quality Coconut oil which you should find in health food stores and even some supermarkets these day's. Coconut oil has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties and it works well for me.

Regards, Anthony

4. quickbuck

quickbuck New Member

Hi, sorry if this is a bit of a post dredge, but an anti-chafing cream that was recommended to me by a very good cyclist in the shop was called "Keywin".

I use it on my rides, and I have not had one problem with a chaff. Mind my longest ride is 4 hours (once) and I have 2 of a couple of hours. Just a noobe really, but this stuff seems to do the business.

The stuff it designed specifically to stop movement between your shorts and your butt. All movement should be between your pants and your seat.

Good luck on your ride there oziedave :)

Cheers.

5. Wattsy Rules

Wattsy Rules New Member

BEPANTHAN...It's a nappy rash cream, but is awesome as it's medicated so reduces chaffing and medicates the skin at the same time.

6. matt1

matt1 New Member

Assos chamoi cream works the best in my experience. Also use small amounts of fixamal on the affected areas as a preventative. Ie if you often chaff in that area put a strip of fixamal on that area before riding, it works

7. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

The best combo I've tried is Chamios Butt'r in the Chamios, and good old fashioned Vaseline on yer problem 'areas'.

Keith Bontrager - who does more KMs a year than all of us combined....offroad - uses a big tub of Vas mixed with some anti-bacterial and anti-somethingorother, and smears that all over his shorts.

It's the grossest thing ever (It's on his diary on cyclingnews.com), but his rationale is that if sweat will wash the stuff away, then it will, and then you'll be stuck with chaffing WET shorts and...well...you get the picture.

8. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

I second matt1 Assos is what I use.

9. leestevens

leestevens New Member

I'll second the bepanthen. Easy enough to get aswell. :)

10. wongaga

wongaga New Member

Do be careful with nappy rash creams - I bought some years ago on a tour, while under duress from very sore bum & bollocks, and the bloody rotten stuff ate away at my nice new knicks! They ended up see-through, so in the interests of the public good, I had to chuck them ($150 down the drain).

Sorry I can't remember the name, but try new stuff only on your cruddy old knicks first.

11. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Bepanthen does not eat away your nicks, nor does zinc and castor oil cream.

12. leestevens

leestevens New Member

Good point. I have been using bepanthen for about two years now without it affecting my knicks.

13. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

The Keywin Shammy Cream [sic] is good stuff and I have used it for a few years. It's lanolin based and has some anti-bacterial goo in it as well.