Advice on 10-speed DA rings/overall

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Daniel Mendoza, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. I just destroyed my 9-speed cranks and need some to ride my bike. I know
    that 9-speed stuff is dirt cheap nowadays, but I've been thinking about
    upgrading to 10-speed. I have heard of the chainrings getting deformed
    and some negative feedback about the parts not being as strong. I wanted
    to know whether that is true or just some odd cases. I'd like to get
    10-speed sometime but I was wondering if the quality will improve in later
    versions (next year?) since I don't want to pay lots and have to replace.
    Any suggestions would be helpful, please CC (or email directly to me).

    Thanks,

    Daniel

    Tags:

  2. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    Daniel Mendoza <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just destroyed my 9-speed cranks and need some to ride my bike. I know
    > that 9-speed stuff is dirt cheap nowadays, but I've been thinking about
    > upgrading to 10-speed. I have heard of the chainrings getting deformed
    > and some negative feedback about the parts not being as strong. I wanted
    > to know whether that is true or just some odd cases. I'd like to get
    > 10-speed sometime but I was wondering if the quality will improve in later
    > versions (next year?) since I don't want to pay lots and have to replace.
    > Any suggestions would be helpful, please CC (or email directly to me).

    Gee-whiz, Daniel, there are lots of cranks out there, but if you must
    have the latest-greatest, take your chances. How about Campagnolo
    Record, Chorus, Centaur, or Stronglight/TA, FSA ...? All these can be
    had for far less money and more reliability. I wouldn't buy anything
    "9sp" (i.e., "Octalink") from Shimano as it will become obsolete soon
    (google search).

    Regarding CC or direct e-mail - sorry. It's bad form. Why can't you
    just check back here?

    Robin Hubert