Advice on a bike for sport touring - audax ?

riddie

Jul 28, 2009
I would welcome any advice on what bike I should get to keep up with my cycling pal, who after 2 months of cycling together to get fit, has turned Judas on me and spent £1000 on a Specialized road racer.

I have been using an old touring bike I used through Vietnam and Turkey 15 years ago and still (just) manage to keep up with him. I have caught the bug, and after a bit of reading, would like to spend IRO £1000 - £1400 on a light weight touring bike. It would mainly be for evening and weekend runs of up to 60 miles, but with the option of being able to tour with smallish rear panniers, as well as not get too worried about lightly gravelled tracks, living in Northern Scotland. I would like the option of being able to try a couple of sportives next year if I take panniers etc off, but also be able to have lights on it for winter use. I will never race cometitively- too old and fat!

I phoned a very pleasant lass at Thorns about a Mk 3 Aurax, but was disappointed they only have drop handlebars - I have a fused neck after an accident- and am keen to have butterfly bars that will allow mainly an upright position, but be able to bend down if I am feeling very brave or it is too windy.
I am not sure if a steel frame is needed (? Reynolds 853), but I would also like to keep it as light weight but versatile as possible.

I would really welcome any suggestions. Should I buy the frame and forks and build up, or (with the benefit of the "cycle to work" scheme), go for a made up one.
Lastly! Are disk brakes too much for road biking?
My mountain bike has hydraulic disks and they are a dream!

Many thanks

I have a "sport touring" road bike, which is really exactly a classic audax kind of bike... but from what you say, it sounds like what you need is one of those flat bar hybrids which are marketed as flat bar road bikes. Put bar ends on it and off you go.

I'm not going to make any argument about flat bars versus drop bars, even though I could...