Advice on a cycling computer

AJB

Nov 3, 2007
Hi guys,

I've recently taken up cycling as a form of fitness. I'd been running daily for a couple months previously, but running really hurts! So I ditched that for a bike and haven't looked back since!

Now, I realise that there are a few other threads on here asking for cyclocomputer recommendations, and I've read most of them. However, I was wondering if I could outlay a few criteria and see what you guys think would be best?

I was going to go for one with cadence, but I really don't think I need it. Also, wireless isn't a necessity for me (but won't say no!!). I guess the two BIG criteria I'm looking for are a backlight and a big screen. Not big as in size of your head big, just a decent size. As far as other features go - I'm not overly fussed, I think I'm just after basic features (speed, odo, clock etc). Also auto start-stop would be great (but I assume that this is a standard feature of most computers?). Can I say that I've found the lack of backlight on most computers to be appalling!

So, based on those two features, what would you guys recommend? I'm hoping to spend as little as possible (prob. buy off ebay if I can). I've looked at the Sigma BC1606L's on ebay, but they seem quite small (hard to tell).

Thanks in advance!
AJB

AJB said:
Anyone, please? :(
I guess the problem is that this is such a wide ranging question and will be very much answered by personal preference.

When I bought my road bike (@ 2 years ago), I just asked them what the cheapest cadence computer was and had them fit that. Cost about $80 I think (Astrale 8) and it's been great. Nice sized screen, auto start, cadence, speed, distance, odo, av speed etc - all the things you'd expect. I don't even know if it has a backlight as I don't ride at night.

I think your choice is going to be determined by the backlight option because it wouldn't surprise me if that feature is pretty rare. If you don't need the light you could probably go to Aldi/Target/KMart and get one for $20.

cheers

//k

kakman said:
I guess the problem is that this is such a wide ranging question and will be very much answered by personal preference.

When I bought my road bike (@ 2 years ago), I just asked them what the cheapest cadence computer was and had them fit that. Cost about $80 I think (Astrale 8) and it's been great. Nice sized screen, auto start, cadence, speed, distance, odo, av speed etc - all the things you'd expect. I don't even know if it has a backlight as I don't ride at night.

I think your choice is going to be determined by the backlight option because it wouldn't surprise me if that feature is pretty rare. If you don't need the light you could probably go to Aldi/Target/KMart and get one for $20.

cheers

//k
Thanks for the reply.

I realise I'm not looking for a long list of features and thus there's a wide range of possibilities, but as you've said, backlighting is probably a rarity (as I've discovered looking at many in sports stores & lbs's) thus cuts down the possibilities dramatically - therefore I'm hoping someone can recommend a basic one that does actually have a backlight.

AJB said:
Thanks for the reply.

I realise I'm not looking for a long list of features and thus there's a wide range of possibilities, but as you've said, backlighting is probably a rarity (as I've discovered looking at many in sports stores & lbs's) thus cuts down the possibilities dramatically - therefore I'm hoping someone can recommend a basic one that does actually have a backlight.
My Specialized Turbo computer has a backlight, althought I don't use the feature since I don't ride at night. The one time I used it, the computer died - it turned out the battery was near dead and needed to be replaced.

You could get a computer that otherwise meets your needs, and add this light:

http://www.glorycycles.com/sicodili.html

I have once, and while it's not overly bright, it is bright enough to do the job.

I also had an astrale 8 at one point, and the thing was reliable and had a great feature set.

grv said:
You could get a computer that otherwise meets your needs, and add this light:

http://www.glorycycles.com/sicodili.html

I have once, and while it's not overly bright, it is bright enough to do the job.

I also had an astrale 8 at one point, and the thing was reliable and had a great feature set.
You sir, are a true legend.

Tell me - you say it's not overly bright - but it's bright enough to easily read the computer yes?

If it is, then this solves my problems & don't have to worry about the backlight, thankyou!

Does anyone have any experience with Planet Bike coputers? Are they any good?http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600082&subcategory=60001035&brand=&sku=4748&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Cyclocomputers

AJB said:
Tell me - you say it's not overly bright - but it's bright enough to easily read the computer yes?
In a perfect world, I'd want it a bit brighter, but when the batteries are fairly new it is fine. It takes those 2032 round batteries. I have a powertap, which has a 3 line display. In total darkness, I can see two of them with this light because it is kind of focused.

Enjoy!

grv said:
In a perfect world, I'd want it a bit brighter, but when the batteries are fairly new it is fine. It takes those 2032 round batteries. I have a powertap, which has a 3 line display. In total darkness, I can see two of them with this light because it is kind of focused.

Enjoy!
Excellent, thank you!

Now I just have to find a US company who will ship one for less than thirty bucks :eek: Unfortunately they're not available in Australia.

Have you looked at Garmin GPS based cycle computers? I'm waiting until January for the new 705 but good deals can be had on the current 305.

I thought the "which bike to buy" decision was tough but then came which cycle computer decisison....:) . Aren't choices wonderful!

The backlight part is the tough one for most computers.

My Garmin eTrex Vista HCx has a backlight... but is probably more than you are looking for. But if you are looking for a mapping GPS with altimeter that you can use in your car, or while hiking... It might be worth exploring.

I just bought a basic computer for 12.99 from Wal-Mart. I love it. Gives me my speed, distance, top speed and average speed. To me this is a big deal since I never owner a bike computer before. I did however have a little trouble adjusting the unit and the original settings. Manual was terrible! Lot of trial and error to get it to work.

I was really suprised by how close the magnet need to pass the sensor.

The easy (and likely readily available where you are) solution to the backlight issue is a headworn 3 LED lamp. Not only will it illuminate whatever 'puter you end up with, it doubles as an auxiliary headlight and comes in really handy for those middle-of-nowhere-in-the-dark flat repairs. Here in the US they can easily be had for $10-15 USD in sporting goods stores.