Advice on a flat handlebar bike

Terry Davis wrote:
> Does anyone have opinions on the Marin Highway One?

Looks like a decent bike. Obviously you'd want to test ride it first.

As always, buy the bike that best fits your needs. What do you want to
use it for?

Terry Davis wrote:
> Does anyone have opinions on the Marin Highway One?

I do. I rode a Marin flat barred hybrid for years, slowly turning it
into a flat-bar-road bike through various changes, which I still have.
It's going to continue on this winter as possibly a single-speed. If
you're a city rider, and need to keep your head up at all times, flat
bars are the way to go, IMO.

However, if you've got miles and miles of "nuthin'" I'd consider a drop
bar, as there are more ways to put your hands. It all depends on how
and where you ride.

I like Marin. Solid, durable bikes.

Oh, and BTW, thanks to all for the advice on the fenders. I bought some
SKS 35mm fenders and they fit fine. 45mm fenders could probably fit.

Cannondale mounting tip, because they offer no cross-bar to screw a
fender into, but instead use a threaded insert in the seat-tube:

Take the rear fender to the drill press, or use a hand drill, and drill
a screw hole 1.5 inches above the existing mounting holes or however
high you need to make it for the mounting hole in the fender. Deburr
with a pocket knife. Slide the brake crossbar hanger onto the fender.
Take one of the long screws, and one of the nylon insert locking nuts
and put the screw through the fender (pointing in the direction of the
seat tube) and thread the nut onto the screw, almost all the way - do
not tighten, the screw must freely rotate.

Take another nylon insert nut and thread that onto the screw leaving
about 1/4 inch of threads exposed. Mount the fender to the bike with
the brake crossbar hangar. Take an allen wrench and screw the lower
assembly into the seat-tube threaded insert up to the nut. Take a
wrench and tighten the nut up to the threaded insert. Continue to mount
the fender as per the directions in the package.

IIRC someone back there asked if there was enough room to not hit your
foot on a SKS front fender on a Cannondale 800 style bike.

Yes and no. DO trim the mounting rods flush with a bolt cutter. Ow.

Overall results: Excellent. The rain from the other day would have
left road crud all over my bike and my back. I'll never go without
fenders again. Sheldon was right.

--
BMO