Advice on a good hardtail.

frodge

New Member
May 8, 2004
Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff. Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills.

frodge <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good
> hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam
> of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-riding.
> Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff. Basic trail
> riding with roots and mud and hills.

http://tinyurl.com/3cglf

Not sure if you can get it for under $1000, but it looks
fun to ride.

Tom (just tryin' to help)

frodge wrote:
> Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good
> hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam
> of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-riding.
> Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff. Basic trail
> riding with roots and mud and hills.

That's a /fairly/ long inseam for your height, so it's even
more important that you enlist the help of professionals
with bike selection and fit.

In other words, visit some Local Bike Shops (LBSs) and ask
questions and take test rides.

You can get a helluva bike for a grand these days, but it
MUST FIT or you won't enjoy riding it.

Bill "go forth and shop" S.

tcmedara wrote:
> frodge <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good
>> hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an
>> inseam of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-
>> riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff.
>> Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3cglf

Seat looks comfortable.

> Not sure if you can get it for under $1000, but it looks
> fun to ride.

You pig.

Bill "a fan" S.

frodge wrote:
> Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good
> hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam
> of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-riding.
> Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff. Basic trail
> riding with roots and mud and hills.
>

> --

You're pretty new to the board, as you said. Try not to
use the word "serious", it seems frowned upon :) You can
get a great HT for that kind of cash, but like others have
said, go to your local bike shop (LBS). Even if you pay a
little more than you might mail order, that money will
more than make up for itself in advice, service work,
mojo, and other ways that will surely come up as you spend
more time on the trails.

Craig Brossman

go to your local bikeshops and look for a good deal on last
years models....most bang for the buck.

"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good
> hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam
> of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-riding.
> Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff. Basic trail
> riding with roots and mud and hills.
>

> --

" S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> frodge wrote:
> > Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good
> > hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an
> > inseam of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-
> > riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff.
> > Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills.
>
> That's a /fairly/ long inseam for your height, so it's
> even more important that you enlist the help of
> professionals with bike selection and fit.
>
> In other words, visit some Local Bike Shops (LBSs) and ask
> questions and take test rides.
>
> You can get a helluva bike for a grand these days, but it
> MUST FIT or you won't enjoy riding it.
>
> Bill "go forth and shop" S.

Heh, this is the guy that inadvertently started the brawl
over bike fit - he said his 19.5" Trek felt great, but
reading about bike fit convinced him he was wrong.

Frodge, you just bought a bike. Ride it for at least a year.
You're not going to develop enough skills, ride enough
miles, or race so much that the low-end-Trek you have won't
last. In that space of time you will have learned enough to
make your own decisions as to what you should ride. Don't
listen to us; you'll get everything from "rigid steel SS" to
"Ti FS or bust."

Chris

Thanks guys. I will check back in 6 months to a year after I have put some miles on. I guess my skills are **** right now anyway and the Trek will be o.k. for now. :cool:

"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2%[email protected]...
> Thanks guys. I will check back in 6 months to a year after
> I have put some
miles on. I guess my skills are **** right now anyway and
the Trek will be
o.k. for now. :cool:

One thing you might do---keep checking the Trek web site
looking for when the DEMO program comes to a trail within a
reasonable distance of your area... You can ride several
different sized bikes, and also get the assistance of the
Trek people in choosing the right frame size for you. And in
particular, you can try riding several different styles of
mountain bikes on real trails--you can see how you like a
good hard tail, how you like a full suspension cross country
bike, how you like an "All Mountain" bike with 5 inches
front and back suspension, how you feel about extremely
light versus extremely plush, etc. You get to do this over
real obstacles, not a parking lot where you can tell NOTHING
about how the bike will ride over technical obstacles for
you. A lot of people on this NG hate Trek, and with that in
mind, I'll add that the DEMO program can help you with what
style of bike, and does not have to be about choosing a Trek--
you may decide you like an All Mountain design, and then
gravitate to some other manufacturer for the All Mountain
bike you will actually get ( or X-country, or hardtail,
etc). Personally, I like my Trek Liquid 25....its awesome in
the rooty type of riding we have in south florida, and its
holding up well to the abuse I've been giving it ( Got it in
January, been hammering very rooty trails 3 to 4 days per
week on average since then...I weigh 212 pounds now, and I
put alot of stress on a bike frame. For the people who claim
the Treks have weak backends, I have to say this is
nonsense. I don't use it to jump off 7 foot drops onto flat
landings, but to me that is not mountain biking....If that's
what you like, get a bmx or freeride bike, start banging
your head into concrete walls for at least 30 minutes a day
to help further reduce your IQ, and try skateboarding in
your spare time;-)

Regards, Dan V

Originally posted by Dan Volker
"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2%[email protected]...
> Thanks guys. I will check back in 6 months to a year after
> I have put some
miles on. I guess my skills are **** right now anyway and
the Trek will be
o.k. for now. :cool:

One thing you might do---keep checking the Trek web site
looking for when the DEMO program comes to a trail within a
reasonable distance of your area... You can ride several
different sized bikes, and also get the assistance of the
Trek people in choosing the right frame size for you. And in
particular, you can try riding several different styles of
mountain bikes on real trails--you can see how you like a
good hard tail, how you like a full suspension cross country
bike, how you like an "All Mountain" bike with 5 inches
front and back suspension, how you feel about extremely
light versus extremely plush, etc. You get to do this over
real obstacles, not a parking lot where you can tell NOTHING
about how the bike will ride over technical obstacles for
you. A lot of people on this NG hate Trek, and with that in
mind, I'll add that the DEMO program can help you with what
style of bike, and does not have to be about choosing a Trek--
you may decide you like an All Mountain design, and then
gravitate to some other manufacturer for the All Mountain
bike you will actually get ( or X-country, or hardtail,
etc). Personally, I like my Trek Liquid 25....its awesome in
the rooty type of riding we have in south florida, and its
holding up well to the abuse I've been giving it ( Got it in
January, been hammering very rooty trails 3 to 4 days per
week on average since then...I weigh 212 pounds now, and I
put alot of stress on a bike frame. For the people who claim
the Treks have weak backends, I have to say this is
nonsense. I don't use it to jump off 7 foot drops onto flat
landings, but to me that is not mountain biking....If that's
what you like, get a bmx or freeride bike, start banging
your head into concrete walls for at least 30 minutes a day
to help further reduce your IQ, and try skateboarding in
your spare time;-)

Regards, Dan V
Haha. That last part is pretty funny. I just bought a Trek 4900 amonth ago and like it a lot. It is a little big for me because I didn't know anything until after I bought it. I know it is not a heavy duty trail bike, but for right now it is not bad I guess. I will look into your suggestions. The bike shop will not work with me with the issue that the bike i a little big. For what I am doing right now, it seems to be ok.

The fact that the bike shop sold you a bike that was mis-
sized in the first place is a concern. I'm a big proponent
of proper fitting and not assuming a certain "size" of bike
is appropriate for any person. Unless they warned you or
advised you against it in the first place, I wouldn't go
back there or give them any business.

I'm 5'9" and during this past winter we vacationed at a
remote spot in Baja Mexico. The place had several "decent"
MTBs so we toured a fair amount on the surrounding hills. On
the days that the bike selection was low, I was forced to
take a larger than preferred frame, and by mid day I always
had an aching back and numbing fingers.

My $.02

"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote:
> > "frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message

[email protected]:2%[email protected]

On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:51:41 -0700, "Gwood" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The fact that the bike shop sold you a bike that was mis-
>sized in the first place is a concern. I'm a big proponent
>of proper fitting and not assuming a certain "size" of bike
>is appropriate for any person. Unless they warned you or
>advised you against it in the first place, I wouldn't go
>back there or give them any business.
>
>I'm 5'9" and during this past winter we vacationed at a
>remote spot in Baja Mexico. The place had several "decent"
>MTBs so we toured a fair amount on the surrounding hills.
>On the days that the bike selection was low, I was forced
>to take a larger than preferred frame, and by mid day I
>always had an aching back and numbing fingers.
>
>My $.02

<SNIP>

Haven't we hashed this out already with this dude two weeks
ago? Enough! Stop whining and just sell the damn thing on
eBay already. Don't rehash the same question to try and get
an answer you like better than the last.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

[qoute]
Haven't we hashed this out already with this dude two weeks
ago? Enough! Stop whining and just sell the damn thing on
eBay already. Don't rehash the same question to try and get
an answer you like better than the last.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
[/QUOTE]
The thread was started to find out what would be a real good hardtail for $1000. NOt to "re-hash". A reading lesson would be proper for you. Read my original post. Since no-one offered a suggestion on bikes, it reverted back to the original discussion. Not my fault. You must be bored.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:51:41 -0700, Gwood wrote:
> The fact that the bike shop sold you a bike that was mis-
> sized in the first place is a concern. I'm a big proponent
> of proper fitting and not assuming a certain "size" of
> bike is appropriate for any person. Unless they warned you
> or advised you against it in the first place, I wouldn't

If it were me, I'd be taking every opportunity to tell
people to avoid this shop. You can get zero service for a
lot less money on-line, or possibly good service for the
same price elsewhere.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)

Originally posted by Bb

If it were me, I'd be taking every opportunity to tell
people to avoid this shop. You can get zero service for a
lot less money on-line, or possibly good service for the
same price elsewhere.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)
The shop has been in existence for over 100 years. :eek:
The owner was like, everybody buys a bigger bike their first time around. Next time you will go smaller, everyone does. :rolleyes:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:30:04 GMT, frodge wrote:

> The shop has been in existence for over 100 years. :eek:
> The owner was like, everybody buys a bigger bike their
> first time around. Next time you will go smaller, everyone
> does. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious why you're so hesitant to name a shop that
has appears to have an idiot for an owner...?

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)

Originally posted by Bb
On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:30:04 GMT, frodge wrote:

> The shop has been in existence for over 100 years. :eek:
> The owner was like, everybody buys a bigger bike their
> first time around. Next time you will go smaller, everyone
> does. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious why you're so hesitant to name a shop that
has appears to have an idiot for an owner...?

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)
Bennetts Bicycles

http://cyclery.com/Members/cybercycle/bikeshops/10585392941/view?state:list=New+York+(NY)&batch_start=51

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:2%[email protected]...
> > Thanks guys. I will check back in 6 months to a year
> > after I have put some
> miles on. I guess my skills are **** right now anyway and
> the Trek will be
> o.k. for now. :cool:
> >

> One thing you might do---keep checking the Trek web site
> looking for when the DEMO program comes to a trail within
> a reasonable distance of your area...

Naw - skip Trek and try out a Giant or Marin HT. Good stuff.
The Marin can be had in steel, which is nice.

[snip Trek commercial, LOL]

> A lot of people on this NG hate Trek

But that's where you're wrong. There might be one or two,
but not "lot". The fact is that Trek makes some OK bikes,
and that some of them might be acceptable to some buyers.
But to just recommend "Trek" every time a newbie comes in is
nothing but brand loyalty.

[snip continuing Trek commercial]

> Personally, I like my Trek Liquid 25

Of course you do - you bought it, so it *must* be great!

> For the people who claim the Treks have weak backends, I
> have to say this is nonsense.

And you are a materials engineer? Those carbon stays are a
gimmick, and flexy as hell. Been there, done that. Any
serious MTBer would run away. At the same price point, you
can get better bikes from other makers, including
Specialized and Marin. Four-bar, real pivots, solid and no
Bontrager craptastic drivetrain shiite.

When one of those CF stays finally lets go, I hope you don't
crash too badly, and I hope it doesn't screw up the other
parts too badly. What I'd love to hear is if Carla or Jim
have ever tested one of these flexy Liquids - I'd like to
know what a real mountain biker thinks of these bikes.

Frodge: Ride the damn bike, save your money, do some
research (not asking questions in a.m-b., but real look-it-
up research, and for gawd's sake - stay away from the LBS
that sold you that bike.

Come back after riding the thing over the summer, and see
how you feel.
--
Jonesy

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > For the people who claim the Treks have weak backends, I
> > have to say this is nonsense.
>
> And you are a materials engineer? Those carbon stays are a
> gimmick, and flexy as hell. Been there, done that. Any
> serious MTBer would run away.

What I am is 212 pounds, and even "if" JD and a few others
here can beat me up hills at elevations over 6000 feet, I'm
strong and heavy enough to put any mountain bike through
more structural stress than most 150 pound riders could do,
no matter how well they can ride.

If you rode a Liquid 25 or 50, and thought the stays were
flexy, I'd suggest what you might have had as a problem
was not the stays, but tires that had sidewalls which were
too soft for you, or insufficient air pressure, and were
not allowing the bike to corner the way it should. With
the Panaracer
2.4 FR ( freeride and light downhill tires) on this bike,
the back end feels rock solid.

At the same price point, you can get better bikes from
> other makers, including Specialized and Marin. Four-bar,
> real pivots, solid and no Bontrager craptastic
> drivetrain shiite.

Considering Trek offers Demo days are real trails on a
regular basis, and most other brands do not, you might re-
think this a bit--if they were so bad, people would be
riding them on trails and NOT liking the performance.
Instead, people riding on real trails LIKE the way the
bikes handle.

> When one of those CF stays finally lets go, I hope you
> don't crash too badly, and I hope it doesn't screw up
> the other parts too badly. What I'd love to hear is if
> Carla or Jim have ever tested one of these flexy Liquids
> - I'd like to know what a real mountain biker thinks of
> these bikes.

I forgot again. Real mountain bikers only exist out west.

My main point was that being able to DEMO a bike on real
trails is a huge big deal. In snow skiing, this is
demanded by skiiers---but mountain bikers must be so damn
timid that we just take the **** the bike industry wants
to put out, without any demo or way of knowing how good
the bike is. Dan V

"frodge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good
> hardtail to buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam
> of about 31". I will be using the bike for trail-riding.
> Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet and stuff. Basic trail
> riding with roots and mud and hills.
>

> --

As long as you're not planning to race, a good steel frame
will take the edge off for a hardtail on long rides.

A Rocky Mountain Hammer could be had for your price range.

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2004/steel/hammer.aspx

The Rocky Blizzard will cost you more for a 853 tubeset.

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2004/steel/blizzard.aspx