Advice on best lock sought



R

Rudi Lutz

Guest
Hi!
I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
bike, and this is quite an investment for me. I therefore wish to keep it
safe. Which lock do other people think offers the most security> Any advice
will be much appreciated. I was considering one of the Kryptonite New York
chains, but they are quite heavy (8lbs for what looks like the strongest).
If this really is the best I could go for then I will do it, but I wondered
if there is some lighter alternative that I haven't heard of.

Regards,
Rudi
 
J

John Hearns

Guest
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:11:00 +0000, Rudi Lutz wrote:

> Hi!
> I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
> previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
> bike,


Oooh nice.
Those big chains are good for use at home, or leave one permanently
at Uni for your bike.

Cycling Plus did a big lock test a few months ago.
The Magnum U-lock came out well in the tests. I bought one.
They are square in cross section, with a yellow plastic coating.
They are cheap - mine was less that 25 quid.
They do not have a 'sold secure' rating though.

I would go to a Local Bike Shop and ask about a Sold Secure rated
U-Lock.
Don't take recommendations from us!

Or, and I hate to say this, just don't leave the bike unattended.
Can you take a hack bike to Uni? Defeats the purpose of a lovely
new bike, and I know we should be able to leave our property locked
with the smallest of locks without scum taking them.
 
T

Treefrog

Guest
"Rudi Lutz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi!
> I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
> previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
> bike, and this is quite an investment for me. I therefore wish to keep it
> safe. Which lock do other people think offers the most security> Any

advice
> will be much appreciated. I was considering one of the Kryptonite New York
> chains, but they are quite heavy (8lbs for what looks like the strongest).
> If this really is the best I could go for then I will do it, but I

wondered
> if there is some lighter alternative that I haven't heard of.
>
> Regards,
> Rudi


Locks don't work.
They don't keep your QR wheels on the bike, or Dura Ace groupset, for the
thief with an allen key.
The best security with a bike is to never leave it anywhere. Make sure it is
with you or in a trusted room/building.

It's a sad truth these days but, if you rely on a lock you WILL eventually
loose your bike.
 
R

Rudi Lutz

Guest
"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:11:00 +0000, Rudi Lutz wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find

the
> > previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
> > bike,

>
> Oooh nice.
> Those big chains are good for use at home, or leave one permanently
> at Uni for your bike.
>
> Cycling Plus did a big lock test a few months ago.
> The Magnum U-lock came out well in the tests. I bought one.
> They are square in cross section, with a yellow plastic coating.
> They are cheap - mine was less that 25 quid.
> They do not have a 'sold secure' rating though.
>
> I would go to a Local Bike Shop and ask about a Sold Secure rated
> U-Lock.
> Don't take recommendations from us!
>
> Or, and I hate to say this, just don't leave the bike unattended.
> Can you take a hack bike to Uni? Defeats the purpose of a lovely
> new bike, and I know we should be able to leave our property locked
> with the smallest of locks without scum taking them.


Thanks for the advice. Actually, I can (and do) keep my bike in my office
when at work. Unfortunately where I live is rather too small to have 2
bikes, so the option of using a hack bike is not really on. In any case I
also want to use it for touring (lightish) as well as trips to shops etc so
issue of keeping it safe still exists. I will have a look at the Cycling
Plus review. I don't mind paying a bit more (within reason!) for a decent
lock.



Rudi
 
R

Rudi Lutz

Guest
"Treefrog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Rudi Lutz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Hi!
> > I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find

the
> > previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
> > bike, and this is quite an investment for me. I therefore wish to keep

it
> > safe. Which lock do other people think offers the most security> Any

> advice
> > will be much appreciated. I was considering one of the Kryptonite New

York
> > chains, but they are quite heavy (8lbs for what looks like the

strongest).
> > If this really is the best I could go for then I will do it, but I

> wondered
> > if there is some lighter alternative that I haven't heard of.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rudi

>
> Locks don't work.
> They don't keep your QR wheels on the bike, or Dura Ace groupset, for the
> thief with an allen key.
> The best security with a bike is to never leave it anywhere. Make sure it

is
> with you or in a trusted room/building.
>
> It's a sad truth these days but, if you rely on a lock you WILL eventually
> loose your bike.
>
>
>
>
>


I mostly do follow this advice, but there are times when it will be
necessary to leave it for at least short periods. So its more a question of
how to minimise the risks during those times.

Rudi
 
M

Mark Tranchant

Guest
Simon Brooke wrote:

> Can you carry it into your room at Uni, or is that completely
> impossible?


Why is everyone convinced Rudi is at university?

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
 
R

Rudi Lutz

Guest
Probably because my mailer here at work automatically fills in my
"organisation" field in the mail header as "University of Sussex". Also my
email address is @sussex.ac.uk which is University of Sussex.

Rudi

"Mark Tranchant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
> > Can you carry it into your room at Uni, or is that completely
> > impossible?

>
> Why is everyone convinced Rudi is at university?
>
> --
> Mark.
> http://tranchant.plus.com/
 
R

Rudi Lutz

Guest
"Rudi Lutz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Probably because my mailer here at work automatically fills in my
> "organisation" field in the mail header as "University of Sussex". Also my
> email address is @sussex.ac.uk which is University of Sussex.
>
> Rudi
>
> "Mark Tranchant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Simon Brooke wrote:
> >
> > > Can you carry it into your room at Uni, or is that completely
> > > impossible?

> >
> > Why is everyone convinced Rudi is at university?
> >
> > --
> > Mark.
> > http://tranchant.plus.com/

>
>


Ooops! Sorry for top posting in my previous mail.

Rudi
 
H

Helen Deborah Vecht

Guest
I suggest you use two locks, a reasonable D lock, and a long cable to
secure the other wheel, the saddle and a fixture. Techniques which break
one kind of lock sometime foil another.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> in message <[email protected]>, John Hearns
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Or, and I hate to say this, just don't leave the bike unattended.

>
> That's the only kind of lock I ever use with either of my favourite
> bikes. Whenever they're out of the house, they never go out of my
> sight. There's no point spending lots of money on a light bike and then
> carrying a heavy lock.


I leave a heavy Magnum lock at work for both my bikes, but if I'm out on my
best bike I am very careful about where I leave it and take only a lightish
cable lock. When I bought a train ticket last night to meet MSeries
tomorrow, I took it into the ticket office.

When I wanted a watch battery fitting yesterday I had loads of jewellers to
choose from, but opted for one out of the city centre with a window where I
could keep an eye on my locked bike while I waited.

If I go to WH Smith on the way home, I lock it outside but queue at a till
where I can see it as I wait.

I short, I will not lock it to a stand and then walk around a shopping
centre for 15 minutes out of sight unless I'm on my "hack bike".
--

--
Simon Mason

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Mark
Tranchant ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> Can you carry it into your room at Uni, or is that completely
>> impossible?

>
> Why is everyone convinced Rudi is at university?


Errrmmm... because we read his posts? Including, and this is the sneaky
bit, his /email/ /address/?

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid
 
M

Mark Thompson

Guest
> Which lock do other people think offers the most
> security


Um, the ultimate in locks would be a correctly used D-lock and a chainy
type thing. This would require a different type of large, heavy tool to
crack open.

As it's a custom bike could you specify 'distressed' paintwork? Make it
/look/ like a hack bike. That would stop 'proper' theives being
interested, while the commonal garden scally would be put off by the thin
wheels and drop bars. You could then use a lighter, less secure lock.

It also has the advantage of making you look like a much better rider
without even trying:

new kit = very good OR a wannabee. You thus have to prove yourself on it
every time.

Old, battered kit = seasoned pro, been doing it a lifetime. If you're not
performing people assume you're just taking it easy and enjoying the ride.
 
J

John Hearns

Guest
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:11:00 +0000, Rudi Lutz wrote:

> Hi!
> I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
> previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
> bike,


Oooh nice.
Those big cahi
 
J

John Hearns

Guest
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:11:00 +0000, Rudi Lutz wrote:

> Hi!
> I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
> previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
> bike, and this is quite an investment for me.

Oooohhh. Envy.

Do you mean a lock for carrying on the bike, or for use at home?
The
 
R

Rudi Lutz

Guest
"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:11:00 +0000, Rudi Lutz wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find
>> the
>> previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
>> bike, and this is quite an investment for me.

> Oooohhh. Envy.
>
> Do you mean a lock for carrying on the bike, or for use at home?
> The


Wow - strange to see an old thread reappear. I mostly keep my bike indoors
(at home and at work) and don't generally leave it locked up anywhere
outside for lon periods. So when out on runs etc I have quite a good cable
lock (Kryptonite) which is not so heavy I mind carrying it around in my
pannier at all times. On the odd occasion I am going into town (Brighton)
and am going to leave it locked for some time I use a gold standard sold
secure D-lock as well. For these short trips I don't mind the extra weight.

Rudi
 
I

Ian Smith

Guest
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:14:09 +0100, Rudi Lutz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]
> > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:11:00 +0000, Rudi Lutz wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >> I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find
> >> the
> >> previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
> >> bike, and this is quite an investment for me.

> > Oooohhh. Envy.
> >
> > Do you mean a lock for carrying on the bike, or for use at home?
> > The

>
> Wow - strange to see an old thread reappear.


Something is up with Jophn Hearn's system - it spewed a load of
messages previously posted in March, April, May. Some of them ar
incomplete, and I suspect all of tehm may be, it's just that teh ones
that look coherent have been chopped of at a coherent-looking point.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|