Advice on Bike to get

Tom Lee

Guest
I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on the street, but some
off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I have to choose from. Any
advice as to which is best? Thanks...

Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain Bike
Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure Bike - Mens
Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike Jeep Renegade
Sahara Adult Bicycle

Tom Lee wrote:
> I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on the street, but some
> off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I have to choose from. Any
> advice as to which is best? Thanks...

> Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain Bike
> Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure Bike -
> Mens Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike Jeep
> Renegade Sahara Adult Bicycle

welp, the all suck. I would say Fuji sucks the least.

"Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on the street, but some
> off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I have to choose from. Any
> advice as to which is best? Thanks...
>
> Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain Bike
> Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure Bike -
> Mens Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike Jeep
> Renegade Sahara Adult Bicycle

Without having looked at any of the bikes, I'd assume they're all fairly cheap, under or around
$200-400? In the lowest price ranges, your best bet is to keep it simple. Eschew suspension of any
kind, ESPECIALLY rear. It'll make the bike heavier, prone to problems, and will make the quality of
the ride much worse. Rigid forks and frame are the way to go. The big tires will soak up the jolts.
You may even get slightly better drivetrain parts, which is where you want the money to go.

Okay, I've performed my public service for the month. /s

"Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on the street, but some
> off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points -

save your money for the medical expenses following the use of one of these POS's.

here's what I have to choose
> from. Any advice as to which is best? Thanks...
>
> Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain Bike
> Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure Bike -
> Mens Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike Jeep
> Renegade Sahara Adult Bicycle

I have the Fuji Discovery 3 (21" frame). It usually sells for $550-$660 at 6 shops around me. I
have had it for 6 months now, no problems so far. Im not a little guy either 6'2" 225. I too ride
mine to work
(3.3miles) and trail riding. I havent used it on any big jumps or drops, there arent any where I
have rode, just like 2' drops:). I will say dont expect it to be capable of anything bigger
unless you weigh like 125-150lbs. It does have Shimano Deore F/R derailleurs and shifters. The
front shocks are adjustable and rebound control for rear shock too. One issue for me is the
handlebar is not as wide as I would like it to be (22.5"). I have on order an Azonic bar 28" wide
and its blue anodizing just happens to damn near match the blue of the frame. Here are the specs
http://www.fujibikes.com/mountain/bike.asp?category_short_name=mtb&myArray=24,21,22,25,23,26,27,-
28,29,30,31,33,35,36,37,38,40,41,42,34,32,39&myArrayID=7

"Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on the street, but some
> off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I have to choose from. Any
> advice as to which is best? Thanks...
>
> Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain Bike
> Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure Bike -
> Mens Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike Jeep
> Renegade Sahara Adult Bicycle

Amex must be AFU if that's what they're peddling. You may as well get a Huffy.

JD

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:50:33 GMT, "Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on the street, but some
>off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I have to choose from. Any
>advice as to which is best? Thanks...
>
>Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain Bike
>Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure Bike - Mens
>Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike Jeep Renegade
>Sahara Adult Bicycle

If you decide to get a bicycle, you could consider asking again. Else try alt.old-iron.disposal

Peter 'trying to wake up from a bad dream' R.

"Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on the street, but some
> off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I have to choose from. Any
> advice as to which is best? Thanks...
>
> Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain Bike
> Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure Bike -
> Mens Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike Jeep
> Renegade Sahara Adult Bicycle

I think what everyone is trying to say is that you should save your Amex points for something else
because these bikes are not even worth using Amex points. Figure out a realistic budget for a bike
and try asking for recommendations again. You'll get some helpful advice - really.
--
Westie

Thanks - most of the posts weren't really helpful. I'm not really into riding (yet?) and not sure I
want to be really into it as a hobby, just want to get some exercise. Now, if some of the posts said
something about reasons why those bikes all sucked (as quakenshake was doing talking about the
derailleurs and shifters) then that would help me make a decision. Is there an issue of reliability?
That may sway me - I don't want the thing breaking apart after a month. But again, I'm not looking
to take on any jumps or anything. Am I going to be embarassed to ride it out with my friends when we
go clod hopping? No, again not a problem because I'm not going to do that. I'm not even convinced
that I need a mountain bike at all if most of the riding is on the street - I just don't want a
thin-tired touring bike. My situation is that I have a bunch of points to use up, and not really
excited about laying out a wad of cash right now.

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on
the
> > street, but some off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I have to
> > choose from. Any advice as to which is best? Thanks...
> >
> > Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain
> > Bike Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure
> > Bike - Mens Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike
> > Jeep Renegade Sahara Adult Bicycle
> >

> I think what everyone is trying to say is that you should save your Amex points for something else
> because these bikes are not even worth using
Amex
> points. Figure out a realistic budget for a bike and try asking for
recommendations
> again. You'll get some helpful advice - really.
> --
> Westie

"Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks - most of the posts weren't really helpful. I'm not really into riding (yet?) and not sure
> I want to be really into it as a hobby, just
want
> to get some exercise. Now, if some of the posts said something about reasons why those bikes all
> sucked (as quakenshake was doing talking about the derailleurs and shifters) then that would help
> me make a decision. Is there an issue of reliability? That may sway me - I don't want the thing
> breaking apart after a month. But again, I'm not looking to take on any jumps or anything. Am I
> going to be embarassed to ride it out with my friends when we go clod hopping? No, again not a
> problem because I'm not going to do that. I'm not even convinced that I need a mountain bike at
all
> if most of the riding is on the street - I just don't want a thin-tired touring bike. My situation
> is that I have a bunch of points to use up,
and
> not really excited about laying out a wad of cash right now.

Then do as John suggested in the first reply you got: get one of the Fujis.

Bill "well, except for the 'Leisure Bike'" S.

"Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks - most of the posts weren't really helpful.

Why not? Because they didn't tell you what you wanted to hear?

> I'm not really into riding (yet?) and not sure I want to be really into it as a hobby, just want
> to get some exercise.

MTBing is a strange thing. I got my first MTB because I wanted something durable to ride back and
forth to work. Whose tires would stand up to sharp rocks and uneven road surfaces. And would allow
me to take advantage of a rough dirt road shortcut.

After a while, I looked forward to that dirt road more than anything else on the ride. Because my
first bike was a real POS, I couldn't do anything with it except ****-can it and get a "real" bike.
A cheapo Diamondback, from which all that remains is the steel frame. As my current ride, LOL!

> Now, if some of the posts said something about reasons why those bikes all sucked (as quakenshake
> was doing talking about the derailleurs and shifters) then that would help me make a decision.

Cheap, heavy, not durable. It's cheap for a reason. Look at cars for an analogy - A Kia is a cheap
ride. But if you are looking for a reliable auto, is Kia the first brand that comes to mind?
Probably not.

I doubt you want to spend time and money fixing a crappy bike. Best to make a better purchase
up-front. In the end, if you end up not riding the bike, at least you could sell it to another
beginner via eBay or mtbr.com or something - and get some of your money back. With a crappy Jeep
bike, you'll get a big, steaming mug of nothing.

> Is there an issue of reliability?

Yup. :)

> That may sway me - I don't want the thing breaking apart after a month. But again, I'm not looking
> to take on any jumps or anything.

I have heard stories of cheap bikes breaking just coming off a curb. That's not only crappy quality,
but dangerous as well.

> Am I going to be embarassed to ride it out with my friends when we go clod hopping? No, again not
> a problem because I'm not going to do that.

Never say never. You may find you like riding on trails. Or not. In the end, a higher quality bike
is more fun to ride.

> I'm not even convinced that I need a mountain bike at all if most of the riding is on the street
> - I just don't want a thin-tired touring bike. My situation is that I have a bunch of points to
> use up, and not really excited about laying out a wad of cash right now.

I chose a MTB because I figured it would stand up to the abuse I might give it a little better than
a road bike. I feel it was a sound choice, then and now. Hell, I still use my beater MTB as a
commuter, knobbies and all. Some people feel the need to have a stable of bikes, and that's great,
but if you want or need one all-around bike that's going to stand up to some abuse, I think a MTB is
a good choice.

If those are your choices, go with a Fuji. And not a comfort bike. But if the bike is going to
decorate a garage wall for most of it's life, then use the AMEX points on something else. Nothing
kills a desire to engage in a new sport faster than crappy equipment.

Spider

"Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks - most of the posts weren't really helpful. I'm not really into riding (yet?) and not sure
> I want to be really into it as a hobby, just
want
> to get some exercise. Now, if some of the posts said something about reasons why those bikes all
> sucked (as quakenshake was doing talking about the derailleurs and shifters) then that would help
> me make a decision. Is there an issue of reliability? That may sway me - I don't want the thing
> breaking apart after a month. But again, I'm not looking to take on any jumps or anything. Am I
> going to be embarassed to ride it out with my friends when we go clod hopping? No, again not a
> problem because I'm not going to do that. I'm not even convinced that I need a mountain bike at
all
> if most of the riding is on the street - I just don't want a thin-tired touring bike. My situation
> is that I have a bunch of points to use up,
and
> not really excited about laying out a wad of cash right now.
>
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Tom Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm going to be primarily riding to work, 4 miles each way. Mostly on
> the
> > > street, but some off-roading. I want to get a bike using my Amex points - here's what I
> > > have to
choose
> > > from. Any advice as to which is best? Thanks...
> > >
> > > Jeep Renegade Sport Adult Bicycle Jeep Comanche Adult Mountain Bike Jeep Comanche X Mountain
> > > Bike Fuji M-500 All Terrain Bike - Mens Overland SE Mountain Bike (Jeep) Fuji LS-700 Leisure
> > > Bike - Mens Jeep Comanche Sahara Mountain Bike Jeep Liberty Sport Bike Fuji Discovery 3 Bike
> > > Jeep Renegade Sahara Adult Bicycle
> > >

> > I think what everyone is trying to say is that you should save your Amex points for something
> > else because these bikes are not even worth using
> Amex
> > points. Figure out a realistic budget for a bike and try asking for
> recommendations
> > again. You'll get some helpful advice - really.
> > --
> > Westie

OK, lets go with the points. The pros and cons of spending real money on a bike can come later if
you ever decide that you'd like something better. Part of the issue with asking for advice here is
that this is an enthusiasts group for the most part. Most of the regulars take their riding, if not
their bikes, fairly seriously. With some of the guys here it's almost like asking a Harley Davidson
owner advice about a little two-stroke Japanese motor scooter.

I'm not familiar with the bikes, but Fuji has been mentioned by some that would know. Avoid any
bells or whistles like rear suspension or disc brakes (again, I have no idea what these bikes have
on them other than they're cheap). Few bells and whistles mean that more money has been spent on the
basics like frame and bits. Don't be upset if it breaks or bits start falling off. You're welcome to
come back when you've seen the light and seen mountainbiking not just as a sport or way to get to
work, but as a way of life.... ;-)

--
Westie

Ok, I've decided to hold off and do some more research to find out what would be a good first bike.
Thanks for all the posts.