Advice on "blinky" lights Which one to get?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mikebike125, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Mikebike125

Mikebike125 New Member

With the daylight gwtting shorter these days I am wanting to get a blinking tail light for cars to see me better. I notice some are LED and others are not. I am unfarmiliar with which features to look for. Can you guys/girls point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Tags:

2. Eggyolkeo

Eggyolkeo New Member

I think the LED ones are the go. Last longer on batteries, more resistant to failure (no filaments), and are nice and cheap! There's one in particular that I like. Saw it in a bike shop recently and definitely going to pick one up.

It's the Basta Super Flash (http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Basta-BA209-Super-Flash-Rear-Light-pr-22633.html )

1500m visability! It's a normal flasher, but then every cycle has a superbright flash that literally blinds you - just crazy. Only seen it in Australia though, not sure you can get it, but keep an eye out for something with thie feature.

3. capwater

capwater New Member

4. firthy

firthy New Member

This looks like the Planet Bike Super Flash:

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html

The Super Flash is highly recommended.

5. dekindy

dekindy New Member

Get 2 for redundancy.

Blackburn Mars 3.0 for daytime and twilight and side visibility superiority and Planet Superflash for superior nighttime visibility.

If you are not going to be riding at night on unlit roads, get 2 Mars 3.0's.

6. dekindy

dekindy New Member

7. chainstay

chainstay New Member

8. cuervo

cuervo New Member

I workout every weekday from 5:30 to 7:00 AM, there is no natural light so to be seen it's a must. Here is what I use, good price and it really does the job very well.

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/267

I have it installed vertically, parallel to the seat post, it can be easily mounted horizontally or vertically, as you prefer.

9. kleng

kleng New Member

This is my set up but its quite expensive which is the downside, its good if you ride in high traffic and high speed areas like I do.

[​IMG]

10. Eggyolkeo

Eggyolkeo New Member

As a variation on this thread, how many lights is too many lights!? I nearly got hit TWICE last night on my commute home.

I have a spotlight and yellow flasher up front, a red 3xLED flasher out back, and wear a fluro yellow long-sleeve jacket. IMO I'm very visable, but apparently not.

I might go for a helmet flasher as well......shocking ride :)

11. threaded

threaded New Member

I have five sets of red lights on the back, a biggy on the rear rack with five leds in it, a medium sized one with three random flashing at the bottom of my bag, and 3 small single flashing leds where one is at the top of it, and two on the sides. I'm lit up like a disco.

I have near misses nearly every morning. Example of one this morning that would make my blood boil, but I'm so used to it now: just before the silly cow overtook and turned into me, when I looked over my shoulder for a 'life saver' at the junction, was actually wincing at the brightness of my rear lights.

So, it really doesn't matter, some car drivers are utter planks / homicidal maniacs and really really should not be allowed on the roads. Yet what can one do? Complain to the plod that xyz car driver is obviously driving without brain engaged: what evidence is there, there wasn't an accident...

Often think, like with helmets, you're less likely to be hit without it, due to the perversity of car drivers getting closer if you have safety things. Yet, without them the insurance won't pay out when you do get got.

12. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Good and cheap, but the mount just snapped off and now the light is ????:confused: :mad:

13. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

+1 on the Basta superflash. The bright flasher is incredible.I use a Knog for convenience on my commuter bike, but if its going to be dark, I throw on one of those.

14. Dimboy

Dimboy New Member

It's called Smart Superflash in the UK.

15. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

16. kleng

kleng New Member

I ride with the dinotte, a knog frog on the helmet, 2 x bar end lights and PB superflash on the jacket loop. Its the dinotte that really makes the difference.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I've seen at least 4 different names kicking around.

18. nerdag

nerdag New Member

I ride with a similar setup. Cateye LD1000 + knogs + barends + yellow flasher.

The two key things that make a difference in my view are:
    1) The yellow flasher
    2) Different flashing patterns.

The yellow flasher on the back in addition to the red flashers makes a huge difference, I suspect because drivers are not expecting a solitaire yellow flasher in addition to the red ones. This, in my experience, makes them sit up and take notice.

Red lights are easier to dismiss because they're so common and we are all used to seeing it.

The other thing that helps is to have flashers with different flash patterns - ie. different manufacturers - because they will all flash out of synch, again, its another unexpected item that grabs a driver's attention.

n

19. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

I think the Marpac light from Labsafetysupply.com looks pretty good. It is simply bigger than the bike warning lights I have seen.

20. vascdoc

vascdoc New Member

I have had over the years many units, but the Planet Bike unit is the best!