advice on bomb holes

probob

Aug 20, 2004
iam not very good at bomb holes, i usualy end up loosing speed on the way up and have to jump off,

can anyone give me some good advice

as common sense would tell you, gain as much speed on the descent as possible.

the tricky part is to stay seated and spin in a low gear on the climb. these obstacles (bombholes as some call them i guess) can be tricky to climb out of. on the uphill, shift into a low gear and focus on staying seated and spinning. if you stand up, your weight will go forward and the rear wheel will spin.

good luck :eek:

So you are talking of a steep decent followed by a steep acent, like going down and up a mini-ravine or something to that nature?

A lot of riders will shift way down when approaching the decent, in anticipation for the climb on the other side. They loose momentum before they even hit the decent. Their momentum carries them halfway up the other side, and they madly spin their legs in 1st or 2nd gear, as their speed drops. Even when their speed slows down enough to match the gear they are in, the rider's body weight is totally incorrect for the climb, and they have to dab.

I would suggest staying in a larger gear. Accelerate before the decent in the big gear, rocket down the decent with an even pedal stroke, and fly back up the other side, combining your pedal stroke in a big gear with your momentum.

If you are talking about a smaller "pot hole", accelerate a ways before the hole, preload on the approach and then j-hop/bunny hop it.

Cheers,
Juba