Advice on buying a new touring bike sought

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I would be grateful for any advice on the following topics. I have been invited to join a cycle
    touring group in Ireland in May. I don't think that my heavy, old mountain bike will be much use on
    the trip. I am planning therefore to buy a touring bike. I was thinking of a Dawe's Galaxy but only
    because friends have mentioned this make. I can spend up to £800 but have no wish to spend that if I
    can get some adequate for less. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the Galaxy or other
    touring bikes in my price range. I would also welcome any advice on where to buy a bike. I live in
    Brighton and I have been told that Evans bikes at Gatwick airport is very competitive. Are there any
    other recommendations about how and where to buy. Any good cyber shops for example. Thank you for
    any advice and assistance andy

    Tags:

  2. Dawes Galaxy are the choice of many :)

    Before you part with hard earned cash, get hold of a few copies of Cycling Weekly, Cycling Plus
    etc., and trawl through the ads - bargains can be had, plus you'll get an idea of the range of
    suitable bikes available. A good web page for lots of links on cycling (including shops) is the
    Cycle Northumbria links page at http://www.colinpercy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/links.htm All sorts of
    good information can be gleaned using that page as a staring point.

    Hope this helps a bit.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I am planning therefore to buy a touring bike. I was thinking of a Dawe's Galaxy but only because
    >friends have mentioned this make. I can spend up to £800 but have no wish to spend that if I can
    >get some adequate for less.

    The end-of-stock 2002 Dawes (no apostrophe) Galaxies are going for L599 - not a bad price at all.
    I've seen them advertised in Cycling Plus & Cycletouring.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    andy wrote:
    > I was thinking of a Dawe's Galaxy but only because friends have mentioned this make. I can spend
    > up to £800 but have no wish to spend that if I can get some adequate for less.

    How heavy is the tour? The Galaxy is a damn fine bike, you really can't go wrong with one, but if
    it's relatively lightweight touring (B&B) you could get away with a lower spec bike - Edinburgh
    Bicycle is a good source, as is Orbit. Don't forget the toolkit and luggage, either - decent
    panniers are not cheap.

    Me, I'd probably buy the Dawes and have done with it, but I am well known for spending too much
    money on bikes, and already have a complete set of panniers.

    I know this is not sufficient information at this stage, but I'm confident that as you get closer to
    laying down the cash we can all help you spend it. There's nothing this newsgroup enjoys more than
    spending other people's money for them :-D

    <plug class="shameless" target="dark_side"> Of course what you *really* want is a Trice
    XL...... </plug>

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:X2E*[email protected]...
    > andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I am planning therefore to buy a touring bike. I was thinking of a
    Dawe's
    > >Galaxy but only because friends have mentioned this make. I can spend up
    > >£800 but have no wish to spend that if I can get some adequate for less.
    >
    > The end-of-stock 2002 Dawes (no apostrophe) Galaxies are going for L599 - not a bad price at all.
    > I've seen them advertised in Cycling Plus & Cycletouring.

    There's more than one place doing them for about 500sq - even better!

    cheers, clive

  6. Dawes Galaxies are excellent BUT what's wrong with your MTB?

    Can it take a carrier? Why not put slick road tyres on it. MTBs properly adjusted, with enough heel
    clearance are fine tourers.

    I've toured on touring bikes, mtbs, hybrids, and Moulton APBs.

  7. Simon Hay

    Simon Hay Guest

    andy wrote:

    <snip>

    > I was thinking of a Dawe's Galaxy but only because friends have mentioned this make. I can spend
    > up to £800 but have no wish to spend that if I can get some adequate for less. I was wondering if
    > anyone had any ideas about the Galaxy or other touring bikes in my price range.

    A friend of mine has a Super Galaxy, and as far as I can see it's an absolutely lovely bike. The
    great advantage it has over the Galaxy is the STI shifters, which I personally think are much nicer
    than the bar-ends, but doubtless there will be plenty of people who have exactly the opposite
    opinion so you'd better look for yourself! As I can't afford to spend that sort of money on a bike,
    I went for what I saw as the next best thing in the form of the Dawes Horizon, which is their
    lower-end touring bike: still has STI shifters, albeit cheaper ones, and seems to be to be generally
    an excellent bike - see the current thread about it...

    Simon

  8. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:59:13 +0000, Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A friend of mine has a Super Galaxy, and as far as I can see it's an absolutely lovely bike. The
    >great advantage it has over the Galaxy is the STI shifters, which I personally think are much nicer
    >than the bar-ends,

    Probably true, but bar-end shifters are pretty bomb-proof and incorporate a non-indexed setting. I
    understand that STIs can be a little delicate.

    John

  9. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    > A friend of mine has a Super Galaxy, and as far as I can see it's an absolutely lovely bike. The
    > great advantage it has over the Galaxy is the STI shifters, which I personally think are much
    > nicer than the bar-ends.

    Remember that bar end shifters usually have a friction setting so when your indexing goes wonky they
    still work without the need for fiddling. Also that means you can whack any old mish-mash of gear
    components together in a hurry and it will still work. I doubt STI is massively advantageous (I find
    it a bit annoying sometimes, but that might be the shimano sora-ness) and big rear sprockets present
    some difficulty.

    Or so I understand.

    -Alex

    --
    ----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

  10. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    <snip snip snip>

    Must admit was looking round for ages for a new/second hand tourer, but my budget was way less.
    There are some decent deals occaisionally on ebay,but Iended up with an Orbit Silver medal, and very
    nice it is too. They still ahve some bargains (www.orbit-cycles.co.uk), but if you have a few spare
    parts knocking round, you can pickup a caraway frame+forks for about £80 from gearshift.

    As for the Dawes, as nearly everyone will tell you it's a great bike (never had one but friends
    have), and for aroubd 500 quid, it's a pretty good deal

    Bryan

  11. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    My Galaxy is fitted with Sora STI and a Megarange cassette.I find it a great improvement over the
    bar-end shifters and never had a minutes problem ( shouldn't have said that! ).I find the Galaxy a
    splendid machine but like a previous poster suggested,customise it a bit to your own liking.It will
    last you years.

    Sam Salt "Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > > A friend of mine has a Super Galaxy, and as far as I can see it's an absolutely lovely bike. The
    > > great advantage it has over the Galaxy is the STI shifters, which I personally think are much
    > > nicer than the bar-ends.
    >
    > Remember that bar end shifters usually have a friction setting so when your indexing goes wonky
    > they still work without the need for fiddling. Also that means you can whack any old mish-mash of
    > gear components together in a hurry and it will still work. I doubt STI is massively advantageous
    > (I find it a bit annoying sometimes, but that might be the shimano sora-ness) and big rear
    > sprockets present some difficulty.
    >
    > Or so I understand.
    >
    > -Alex
    >
    > --
    > ----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Sam Salt wrote:

    > My Galaxy is fitted with Sora STI and a Megarange cassette.I find it a great improvement over the
    > bar-end shifters and never had a minutes problem

    I do know of a report of someone (someone I know, that is) who crapped out of Paris-Brest with an
    STI failure, which would be a massive bummer. I am no longer entirely certain that this wasn't an
    urban myth put about by crusty old-timers who think that bar-ends are a dangerous novelty and we
    should all go back to downtubes, but I am fairly sure it's correct.

    It's really a question of how much you're prepared to trust the components, I suppose, and how
    inconvenient it would be if something did break. I find Shimano stuff very reliable and robust, but
    I don't like to run the risk of failure during a ride (especially a commute in the dark) so I use
    bar-ends. I also find that the bar-ends give extremely accurate and fast shifting, probably because
    the speed the cable moves is faster.

    I've had to spend hours fiddling with the 9-speed STI on the 'bent and the 7-speed thumb shifters on
    the MTB, but the bar-ends on the tourer are as close to perfect as you can get and always have been.

    I am considering changing the 'bent to bar-ends because of the faffing about.

    --
    Guy
    ===