advice on buying a road bike

surgtech1956

Apr 10, 2007
I need some advice on buying a road bike. I was looking at Raleigh, but the entry level doesn't sound all that great. I would like to spend between $500 - $600. I want to get in shape, not any racing or distances over 50 miles. Should i be looking at something like a fitness bike - like the Trek Fx? Can you give me some advice? Thanks

I bought a Juji Newest 3.0, I like it a lot. MSRP $630, bought it for $395, last years model and the bike shop is moving. Same frame as thier $1500 bike. I'll just upgrade the componets I want, already changed seat post, but so far, its pretty solid in most other areas. My put a lighter crank on it.

probably a $600 bike is a $600 bike, the differences between the makes at this level are fairly insignificant so try a few and pick the one you like best

often people buy a bike at this point and upgrade the primary contact points (saddle and pedals) almost immediately. Good shorts and good shoes go a long way to making cycling more comfortable

domaindomain said:
probably a $600 bike is a $600 bike, the differences between the makes at this level are fairly insignificant so try a few and pick the one you like best

often people buy a bike at this point and upgrade the primary contact points (saddle and pedals) almost immediately. Good shorts and good shoes go a long way to making cycling more comfortable
I'll conditionally agree with that statement. Most bikes at this price point are going to have virtually the same components, pretty much all Shimano Sora, which works just fine, even if it isn't flashy or ultra light. Spend more time looking for the right fit and geometry for your body and style of riding, and try to find a bike shop that doesn't mind mind spending time with you to make sure of that.