Advice on buying a used bike

Ray Thormund

Dec 30, 2006
I'm looking for some advice on buying a used bike. It's a 2005 Specialized S-Works; the person at the bike shop thought it was an E5. They're selling it for a $1000. Pedals might be included; I'll have to check. I'm planning on test riding in the next few days.
It was used for one season by a local pro and it has brand new components and wheels. I was told the frame has a few small scratches, but nothing major (I think it has a carbon and aluminum frame).

I know that how a bike fits is the most important thing, but what else should I look for?
Thanks for your help.

The bike is new but, both C and Al frames should be carefully inspected for cracks. Unlike steel when C and Al fail they fail without warning. The seller might be selling for a reason.

Look for wear on brake surfaces as a sign of wear and tear. Are the wheels true?

recall notices.

Can you talk to the previous owner. Some people avoid lying by having an uninformed person sell an item for them. Is it stolen, look for etched numbers ect on it?

Does the price contemplate a compete overhaul?

Ray,

You may want to do a little more research on this bike. I've got an '05 S-Works E5, and its a very solid all metal frame. It was sold as a frameset, which leads me to believe its the same one you're looking at (since they're swapping out components). The frame retailed for something like $1200, which makes it seem like gravy to get all new components as well.

If I were you, I'd take a closer look at what you've got in this bike. Are the wheels and components really new, or are they the ones that the prior owner used? If they're used, the deal's not so good anymore: old-stock framesets like this can regularly be found for $500 or so; one that was used for a season of racing and training might be worth less. If you've got a used frame worth about $500 or less, you have to really decide whether a used build group is worth the other $500. It probably is, but something to consider--the answer's in the quality of the components and how used they are. You'll also want to check out whether you'll have warranty on a used frameset; Specialized is pretty good on this, but I think it's the rep's call.

Finally, get a feel for not only whether the frame fits, but whether it'll fit your style of riding. E5's, at least the all metal ones, are pretty stiff. Some people like this, but some find it a hair harsh on long distance rides. Take it out and give it a whirl.