advice on buying: Cannondale Bad Boy 1/ Quick SL 1/ Quick Carbon 2/ or Specialized Sirrus Limited

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Scottycop, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Scottycop

Scottycop New Member

Howdy All,

I have been looking at the above 4 bikes and would love to hear your opinions. They all seem like very good bikes, but I'm a little confused. I realize that you get what you pay for and personal "feel" is also key to any bike marriage. That said...from a true bike frame/component value...Is it worth buying the Carbon 2 $1999 or Sirrus Limited $1899 (on sale) versus the Quick SL 1 $1399 (on sale) or BB1 $1299 (on sale).

There is quite a big price difference between the top 2 and bottom 2. I'm looking for any opinions to why one bike is better than the other from an overall value perspective (Is it worth paying $600 more for one of the top bikes for components/carbon, etc.)

I don't mind paying the extra cash for the superior product, but are the gains minimal for a solid recreation/commuter rider like myself?

Thanks in advance..../img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Tags:

2. Scottycop

Scottycop New Member

I've narrowed it down to the Cannondale Quick Carbon 2 and the Specialized Sirrus Limited. The components, etc. are nearly identical. Both bikes are around the same price.

I'm leaning towards the Cannondale. Although they are both new, and it's hard to find serious reviews out there, does anyone have any insight on either bike/company that would make the choice easier?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thx!

3. BadWolf

BadWolf New Member

Both olok pretty nice. It would be difficult for me to choose between them.
    Will you be doing your own work on them or having it done by a shop? Is it the same shop that's selling the bikes?
    I've found some shops don't like to work on certain brands of bikes and sometimes might be a bit reluctant to work on bikes they didn't sell. (it's been a minimal issue so far)

If you were to decide to change out parts on either, do both accept readily available aftermarket parts or is something about the bike proprietary? (like maybe derailleur hangers)

4. Scottycop

Scottycop New Member

Good ?'s...One of the shops sells both brands and has great customer service. The other shop just sells the Cannondale. They too have great customer service. I'm not sure about the proprietary parts, but I'll find out. At the end of the day, I think comparing the two bikes is like apples-to-apples. I'm still leaning towards the Cannondale, but I'd still like to hear any opinions re: pros/cons of either bike/brand. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

5. BadWolf

BadWolf New Member

Any chance of being able to complete a test ride on each bike?
    If you could ride them both in the same area, back to back you might notice any differences. If you don't notice an obvious difference and you don't find any proprietary items then it's all about which one appeals to you the most.
    Life's too short to ride an ugly bike.

6. Sunny44

Sunny44 New Member

All of those bikes are very nice, and I think you have narrowed it down to two good choices.

The carbon on these bikes will pretty much just act to make them lighter and able to pick up a little more shock from the road and just give you a more comfortable ride overall. To make your ride even more comfortable the Sirrus limited has the nice version of the Zertz inserts that specialized uses in their high-end Roubaix road bikes. It is little things like that that manufacturers will slap on a bike to make the price go up but at the same time the ride more enjoyable.

The Cannondale Carbon 2 has somewhat of a more aerodynamic profile, but if you are truly using this bike for just cruising around and commuting, it won't matter at all.

In addition to this I would urge you to look at the bad boy again! Man, it is one sleek bike! The lefty fork makes it additionally nice since barely no one will be riding around with it. It also has a shorter handlebar width meant to make it able to slip through tight city spaces, such as cars. I think you will find that it doesn't ride as nice as the sirrus or the carbon 2, but it is still worth your attention I would say. Everyone is different and all the features on those two bikes might not compare to the ride the bad boy could give you.

7. Scottycop

Scottycop New Member

Just when I was going to make a decision on the Cannondale Carbon, a few people said to look at the TREK FX 7.7. The Cannondale is on backorder, so I have some time to look further. Any thoughts on the Trek? I do like the thought of Shimano vs. SRAM. Overall, it seems like a comparable bike. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8. BadWolf

BadWolf New Member

Trek is a good bike, lots of dealers and probably just as good as the others with the exception of course that each brand will have it's own features peculiar to only that brand.

9. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

At the price point you are swimming in road bikes may be a better option. Have you considered them?

10. Jbanks

Jbanks New Member

Looked at these bikes as well and came to choosing between the Sirrus Pro and The Can Quick SL1.. Just waiting for my LBS to get one or the other in stock. Again apples to apples. The Trek 7.7 is closer to those two bikes from a frame and component perspective then it is to the Spec Sirrus Limited and Quick Carbon, which are both Carbon fiber frames. I turned from the carbon option simply because I understand that although carbon provides a more comfortable ride, that thye are also more delecate than the Aluminum frames. With the 7.7 being aluminum, does it really justify the price being right up there with the Carbon models? I could not justify it.. Good luck with your choice.

11. Scottycop

Scottycop New Member

The Cannondale Quick SL 1 is the best bike for the $ within this group , but that Carbon sure is nice.

12. mussman69

mussman69 New Member

Aloha from maui, I am also shopping between sirrus ltd ,bb1 7.7fx not sure which way to go? I've been trying to read as much as i can about them all ..Let me know of any one super stocked with any of these bikes mahalo mussman 69

13. Jbanks

Jbanks New Member

I guess luck was not on my side. Specialized decided not to fill my order and the SL1 might be in stock in a few week, which usually means it won't. I guess I missed that window of opportunity for ordering a bike in extra large or Jumbo for the 2012 models. Good luck to you.

14. bartsie

bartsie New Member

I think Treks are overpriced, probably due to the Lance effect. When I was getting into cycling a year ago, I just thought 'Trek!'

Comparing the 7.7 FX to the Sirrus Limited, you get an Alu frame with somewhat ugly welds on the one hand and carbon with Zertz on the other. Also, not only is the Trek missing the bar ends as standard, they can be difficult to add (I have a 2011 7.3 FX and ended up replacing the bar: Trek's IsoZone grips are great but the hands get sore in one position).

15. Scottycop

Scottycop New Member

I bought the Cannondale Quick SL 1, and it came in a few days ago. It's a great bike! At the end of the day, the Carbon models made no sense for the price, and the SL 1 is every bit as good as the overpriced Trek.

16. Jbanks

Jbanks New Member

That's awesome. I can't get that in jumbo either. LOL! Best of luck with it. I may be able to get a Badboy1. Not as excited about that...

17. andyjackoradam

andyjackoradam New Member

That's awesome to hear....I just ordered a Quick SL1. Should be here in a week. Glad to hear you like yours!

18. HiFi Willy

HiFi Willy New Member

Hello, I have owned a Specialized Sirrus Pro and found it hand numbing even after modification to stem, bar and handles. I sold that and went to a Specialized Roubaix Pro thinking an upgrade would be better but, the geometry of the bike killed my hands and back (I modified this bike as well in the same areas but bought two additional carbon seat posts). I'm in the process of preparing to sell this bike and I have looked at the Cannondale BB1, Quick 2,3's, Specialized Hybrids and Trek 7.7FX and find myself TOTALLY CONFUSED.

I'm a cancer survior having gone through numerous surgeries that require I find a COMFORTABLE bike for fitness and distance. I'm not a candidate for a road bike and trying to find a fast comfort bike which led me to the hybrids.

Any thoughts for my search here... I now own several custom saddles and carbon posts and would simply like to get myself back on a bike and get in shape.

Thanks for your thoughts.

19. andyjackoradam

andyjackoradam New Member

So I'm not even close to a riding expert, but...I've had 3 back surgeries and the lower three vertebrae in my back are fused. Plus both shoulders rebuilt. So I get the need for a comfortable fit. To make matters worse, I have a long upper body and very short inseam, so legs for an XS, and upper body for a S. Otherwise I end up with massive compression in my lower back at the end of a ride.

I know the savior of my mountain biking days was the front suspension, so I would think the BB1 would be the most forgiving road trended/style bike you could go with. And getting an expert fitting. Having solid bike shop support is so important.

I've ended up using a S frame and adding or subtracting components after every couple 100 miles or so until I found the ones that worked. Pretty trial and error and an expensive way to go, but it was worth it...eventually. In that case it was a Klein Attitude (pre Trek). I was riding 25-40 mile cross country rides on that.

I just bought a Small Quick SL1 and should have it in a week. Already prepared for having to change out some things.

I know this probably isn't much help, but there are others of us out there with similar issues. If you find an easier way to do it or a "best" bike for comfort, I'd love to know.

20. zimmer1

zimmer1 New Member

I have a Cannondale SM 500 Mountain bike from my early days of mountain biking...in the 80s, and just purchased a Cannondale Synapse 105 after an endless trial and error search for the right bike. I have some arthritis in my neck and have bulging L5, 6 but have done strength training rehab which helps quite a bit.
    For me, the synapse, with a bit longer stem, and a proper fitting, has allowed me to ride relaxed road bike and benefit from the speed and handling as well avoid the backaches one gets from a more aggressive posture. I learned how to keep my neck and back in a neutral position (neck problems come when you arch the neck to look forward on the bike) and we did the fitting around the neutral position. The longer stem allows me to stay neutral but still keep the advantages of the drop bars.
    It works for me but I'm still curious about how the Quick Sl will ride. I may get one later in the year so I can ride local bike paths with my wife and commute to work on some days.