advice on cheap camera for bicycle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sebastian Wren, May 13, 2003.

  1. Hello. I'm looking for some advice. I would like to carry a small, cheap digital camera on my bike.
    I need something that I can grab and use quickly and easily (but safely) -- preferably something I
    can mount on the handlebars. And of course, it needs to be small and light. Does anybody out there
    have any advice? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Sebastian Wren) wrote:

    > Hello. I'm looking for some advice. I would like to carry a small, cheap digital camera on my
    > bike. I need something that I can grab and use quickly and easily (but safely) -- preferably
    > something I can mount on the handlebars. And of course, it needs to be small and light. Does
    > anybody out there have any advice? Thanks.

    At the bottom of the market is the Hawking Webcam. it's a 640x480 web camera that is detachable and
    becomes a very cheesy digital camera. it can hold 25 pix, and it costs $70.

    sample photo:

    http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/bike/tshirt.jpg

    note that this was indoors, and the camera is poor in low-lighht conditiions.

  3. [email protected] (Sebastian Wren) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello. I'm looking for some advice. I would like to carry a small, cheap digital camera on my
    > bike. I need something that I can grab and use quickly and easily (but safely) -- preferably
    > something I can mount on the handlebars. And of course, it needs to be small and light. Does
    > anybody out there have any advice? Thanks.

    I got a used Kodak (520?) on Ebay for $25 US. New batteries ($12 CDN) were all it needed. I since
    bought a larger RAM card for $14 on sale, so the whole thing was about $65 CDN. It has a standard
    tripod mount, so I bought an appropriate bolt and connected it to my bars with a SS hose clamp -
    works great.

  4. Tony Zipple

    Tony Zipple Guest

    Consider a film camera. With low priced cameras, it delivers much better results than digital. And
    with 1 hour photo places all over, it is pretty immediate as well. An Olympus Stylus is a great,
    small, water resistant film camera with a very good lens. At under $90 new, you also do not need to
    lose much sleep if you bounce it.

  5. Tony Zipple <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Consider a film camera. With low priced cameras, it delivers much better results than digital. And
    > with 1 hour photo places all over, it is pretty immediate as well. An Olympus Stylus is a great,
    > small, water resistant film camera with a very good lens. At under $90 new, you also do not need
    > to lose much sleep if you bounce it.

    I've got one, and I love it; it's presently my snapshot cam, good for carrying around in the pocket.

    Film junkie though I am (I've got a 100 foot bulk roll of TMY which I'll probably go through in the
    next few months) I wouldn't count digital out altogether. If all the OP is looking for is quick &
    dirty snapshots to post on the web, & maybe have the odd 4x6 print made, a very cheap digicam will
    probably do just fine. If you factor in film, paper, and chemical costs over a year, you probably
    come out the winner overall, cost-wise.

    If you're a cycletourist, though, film has its virtues; with a mechanical camera, you're free from
    the need to recharge or purchase batteries, which may be harder to find than film (especially if
    your camera uses fancy lithium thingies)....

    -Luigi who wishes 127 rollfilm was more available, so he could shoot with his granddady's jiffy
    kodak vest-pocket cam.