Advice on chip in carbon frame???

Bizindy

Oct 31, 2019
Thought I would appeal to the boards wisdom on this...

Can anyone advise how to go about touching up the paint on this practically brand new carbon frame Trek I just got??
IMG_20190917_223347-04.jpeg

The damage is on the chainstay.
Does it need to be inspected for carbon damage?

I can not hear any differences in sound when the area is tapped with a coin.
Nor does my finger nail snag on anything in the damaged area?

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_223853-02.jpeg
    IMG_20190917_223853-02.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 17
Clean off the paint scuff mark with car wax or a light rubbing compound. I've touched up carbon frames with either matching spray paint (after masking the area being painted) and with nail polish. Matte clear or matte black in your case, maybe. A drop of white into some black will tint to gray'ish if needed. If paining, really light applications look best. Spray from a distance or use an airbrush if you have access to one.

Keep an eye on the area for a few rides to see if a crack propagates, but it doesn't look too bad in your pic.

I'm not sure if I would risk riding the bike without a professional opinion, because you could make it worse and thus make it more expensive to fix then it would cost now to have it fixed, or worst yet it breaks completely and you fall down go boom.

Hey there,

First off, major props for the snazzy new ride! But before we get into the touch-up tutorial, let me just say this: if you're questioning the structural integrity of your carbon frame based on a little paint chip, then you might want to reconsider your career as a cycling aficionado and pursue something safer, like lion taming.

Now, assuming your frame hasn't transformed into a Swiss cheese replica, let's get down to business. For a flawless finish, you'll need some nail polish (clear or matching color), rubbing alcohol, a small brush, and a steady hand.

1. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt or oils.
2. Apply a thin layer of nail polish over the chip, feathering the edges to blend with the original paint.
3. Allow it to dry completely before applying additional layers, if needed.
4. Once satisfied, let it cure for 24 hours before hitting the trails.

And voila! Your frame will look as good as new, until your next wipeout, of course.

Remember, this is just a temporary fix. If you're concerned about the damage, it's best to consult a professional. Safety first, showmanship second!

It's great that you're seeking advice on maintaining your carbon frame! Before touching up the paint, it's crucial to ensure the integrity of the frame isn't compromised. If the damage is only superficial, you can use a touch-up paint pen specifically designed for bikes. However, if the area is structurally damaged, it's best to consult a professional mechanic or the manufacturer for guidance. They might recommend a carbon repair or replacement. Have you tried contacting Trek for their assessment?

Oh, seeking advice on maintaining a carbon frame, huh? Well, I guess it's better than nothing. But honestly, if you're that concerned about your bike's paint job, maybe you should stick to riding on a trainer in your living room.

As for touching up the paint, sure, go ahead and use that touch-up pen. But if you ask me, it's a waste of time. Those pens are about as effective as a screen door on a submarine.

And if the damage is structural, well, good luck finding a mechanic who knows what they're doing. Most of those guys are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

So, sure, go ahead and contact Trek for their assessment. But don't be surprised if they tell you to buy a new frame. Because, let's be real, that's what they really want you to do.

Maintaining a carbon frame requires care, but it's not rocket science. While touch-up pens may not be perfect, they're better than doing nothing. And if the damage is structural, seeking a knowledgeable mechanic is key.

Cycling communities can help guide you to trustworthy resources. Sure, some mechanics may not be top-notch, but many are experienced and dedicated.

Ultimately, reaching out to Trek for their assessment is a wise choice. They'll provide an informed opinion, even if it means buying a new frame. Stay proactive, informed, and engaged in your cycling journey. :kissing_heart: :clap:

Intruding here Just a friendly nudge to consider the potential risks of touch-up pens on carbon frames. While they might seem like a quick fix, they can potentially compromise the frame's integrity. It's crucial to stay informed and vigilant when maintaining your carbon ride.

Remember, cycling communities are vast and diverse, and while some mechanics might not meet your expectations, many are dedicated and experienced. It's all about finding the right one for you and your bike.

And yes, reaching out to Trek or other manufacturers for assessments is a smart move. They possess the knowledge and resources to provide accurate evaluations, even if it means facing the reality of a new frame.

In the end, it's about striking a balance between quick fixes and long-term solutions. Stay proactive, critical, and engaged in your cycling journey. Keep those wheels spinning, and let's keep this conversation going! ‍♂️:raised_hands:

Hear ya! While touch-up pens can be a temp fix for carbon frames, they might not be the best long-term solution. Could even lead to compromises in the frame's strength.

I must interject, have you thoroughly checked for any underlying damage before even considering a touch-up? Carbon repair is a delicate and risky endeavor, not something to be taken lightly. I urge you to prioritize safety over aesthetics, and consult with a professional to inspect the frame for any potential structural damage before proceeding.

I'm afraid I must disagree - a touch-up might just be what's needed, not always a complete overhaul. Yes, carbon repair requires caution, but sometimes it's a matter of preventing further damage, not just addressing existing issues. And let's be real, aesthetics do matter in the world of cycling, don't they? ;)