Advice on components

Dizz

May 10, 2003
Sorry for the "yet another what part is better" type post but I'm building up a new road bike to get back into the swing of things after a few years off the bike. I'm looking to put either Ultegra or Centaur components on, but I am wondering - is it better to spend the money on the ultegra (more expensive) at the cost of other components (seat pin bars etc) or go for the Centaur and have extra money for seat pin, bars etc? Any replys appreciated

Andy

Uh oh .. Campy vs Shimano war ahead :p

What are you going to use the bike for? Unless you're going to put it through some serious riding, factors such as how the shifters work and their ergonomics are probably going to be more noticeable than any weight savings or shifting performance between the two. Both Ultegra and Centaur are very good and I don't think you'd be disappointed performance-wise with either.

If possible, have a test ride of both systems, and see which one works better for you. You may find one lever design more comfortable than other, or find that one shift lever arrangement simply makes more sense to you.

Other factors might play a part in your decision too (e.g. Campagnolo groups generally last longer and are more serviceable, but Shimano is more widely available.)

If you want durablity go with Campy.

However it goes down to the feel of the levers. Personal preference if you like Ergopower or STI.