Advice on correct brake pads please.

Westindieman

Dec 10, 2019
I have never replaced the pads yet since I have discs but think I need to now looking at them and the performance. My bike is a 2016 Giant road E+2, the brakes are specified as TRP Spyre Mechanical Disc. Can anyone advise if these 'TRP HYRD HY/RD Spyre SLC Hylex Hywire Semi Metal Resin Brake Pads' on ebay would be a correct replacement?

Thanks for helping.

Semi metal resin pads have pros and cons, the pro is that they do stop better in less the idea weather conditions, BUT the con is they don't stop as well in dry conditions and are subject to brake fade under hot conditions, and that heat could come from outside temperature or from excessive braking like running down mountain roads. So unless you'll be riding in a lot of rain type of conditions or mud stay with organic pads like the ones that Shimano has.

Another con to semi metal pads is that due to the metal it will wear out your rotors faster.

So you have to get the brake pads that are suited for your riding conditions.

Most suggestions are for the average rider who won't ride much in the rain and doesn't ride in muddy conditions, and the suggestion is that organic pads are the best all around pad.

Semi metal resin pads have pros and cons, the pro is that they do stop better in less the idea weather conditions, BUT the con is they don't stop as well in dry conditions and are subject to brake fade under hot conditions, and that heat could come from outside temperature or from excessive braking like running down mountain roads. So unless you'll be riding in a lot of rain type of conditions or mud stay with organic pads like the ones that Shimano has.

Another con to semi metal pads is that due to the metal it will wear out your rotors faster.

So you have to get the brake pads that are suited for your riding conditions.

Most suggestions are for the average rider who won't ride much in the rain and doesn't ride in muddy conditions, and the suggestion is that organic pads are the best all around pad.
I agree with you pretty much with the stipulation that very few people ride hard enough that they could tell the difference in any brake pads. Disks are so strong a brake that you are in more danger of locking the wheels than you are of not having a powerful enough brake.

I agree with you pretty much with the stipulation that very few people ride hard enough that they could tell the difference in any brake pads. Disks are so strong a brake that you are in more danger of locking the wheels than you are of not having a powerful enough brake.

You could lock the wheels up before with rim brakes so not sure what your point was. And technically all rim brakes are are disk brakes.

Another common issue with semi-metallic pads is noise. Although it's not a given, I've seen many cases where nothing will stop them from squealing, even with brand new rotors and pads. Organic pads don't typically suffer from this problem unless they get glazed. That's easily fixed by sanding them lightly.

I don't think you meant 1/4", considering that the braking material on new brake pads is less than 3/32" thick (~2mm).