Advice on crankset

thegrayson

Mar 23, 2009
After a bit of an off on Friday I need a new outer and middle chain ring. As there has been some creaking from my bottom bracket as well I see this as an opportunity to replace the crank set entirely. The bike is a 2002 Kona Fire Mountain with a Truvativ 5D crank set. What would you guys recommend as a suitable replacement? The chain is knackered too so I'll also need a new one of those.

thegrayson said:
After a bit of an off on Friday I need a new outer and middle chain ring. As there has been some creaking from my bottom bracket as well I see this as an opportunity to replace the crank set entirely. The bike is a 2002 Kona Fire Mountain with a Truvativ 5D crank set. What would you guys recommend as a suitable replacement? The chain is knackered too so I'll also need a new one of those.

A shimano triple is a very nice piece of gear. Great BB bearings, long lasting chainrings, much better than anything from sram(truvativ) or FSA.

Some of the Shimano crank sets that I have seen so far say they are for nine speed cassettes, mine is eight speed does this matter? Can I take it for granted that the left crank is included as well?

thegrayson said:
Some of the Shimano crank sets that I have seen so far say they are for nine speed cassettes, mine is eight speed does this matter? Can I take it for granted that the left crank is included as well?

Doesn't matter.

Yes, the left comes with the right.

Looking at the cranksets and bottom brackets, would should I get a newer Shimano crankset with Hollowtech BB or an older type and stick with square taper?

thegrayson said:
Looking at the cranksets and bottom brackets, would should I get a newer Shimano crankset with Hollowtech BB or an older type and stick with square taper?

Both work just fine, but parts availability is better for the newer system.

Remember be very careful when you choose the crank length..

Too long and you can damage your knees.

Most common available at bike shops for some reason are 172.5mm cranks but most people need 170mm cranks (or shorter) and most bikes are sold with 170mm cranks.

Check what you have before buying new cranks.

Evilbofh said:
Remember be very careful when you choose the crank length..

Too long and you can damage your knees.

Most common available at bike shops for some reason are 172.5mm cranks but most people need 170mm cranks (or shorter) and most bikes are sold with 170mm cranks.

Check what you have before buying new cranks.

How is it that most people need 170mm cranks or less? There is no reliable method for determining appropriate crank length.

thegrayson said:

Doesn't matter and yes crankset means left and right arm.

Match the length with what you have now.

alienator said:
How is it that most people need 170mm cranks or less? There is no reliable method for determining appropriate crank length.

170mm cranks usually suit the average sized person..

Use one of the cranks length calculators on the net to help you find what is most suitable for you.

I have a 170mm crank at the moment. I haven't checked the bb size as yet because I don't have a tool to remove it.

There is a new Alivio crankset on order along with a new chain and cassette, I stuck with a square taper BB. I could have spent more on parts but given the age of the bike it didn't seem worth getting more expensive bits. Its also my first time doing all the work myself so I consider it a learning experience. If this goes well the coming months might see new derailleurs and possibly brakes too. Next year might see an entire scratch built bike as I don't like what I'm seeing in the lbs, any of them. Actually by way of buying the parts I wanted locally none of the shops were much help, they had either parts that were either bargain bin or way out of my price range, nothing in between. Pricing for fitting them was all over the place, very much "well i can maybe do it for...". One even said they now only work on one brand of bike, so if it isn't a Giant they won't touch it. Asking to have the BB shell faced to accept an external bearing was like asking for something unmentionable, hence still using a square taper. Wish me luck.