Advice on Cycling Glasses needed. Cheers.

Spaghetti

Jul 3, 2013
Hi everyone. Title pretty much says it all. I need some cycling glasses to be used mostly in daylight. Preferably non-tinted (although I'm told yellow-tint does aid night visibility). I think aviator style would look cooler, but would that style/shape work as well for cycling? Also, what are your opinions on the video glasses available? (I might be buying a cam too, so perhaps I should buy both in one.) I'm buying from the UK and am willing to pay that bit more for a product I will be happy with. Cheers, Spag.

I'm slightly short sighted and for years have worn standard sunglasses sometimes with contact lenses, sometimes without. Anyway recently I decided to bite the bullet and bought some Oakley prescription Flak Jacket XLJ Sunglasses. I went for the Grey transmission lenses which are clear enough to use at night but react to UV light so they can be used on a sunny day. The clarity of vision is stunning - very expensive but probably my best ever cycling purchase. Bought from RX Sports who were great to deal with.

hitman said:
I'm slightly short sighted and for years have worn standard sunglasses sometimes with contact lenses, sometimes without. Anyway recently I decided to bite the bullet and bought some Oakley prescription Flak Jacket XLJ Sunglasses.
i also made the jump into Oakley a year ago, the high price was compensated by a spare set of lenses in the box, which means in theory double life for the eyewear, mines are the fast jacket,

Spaghetti said:
Hi everyone. Title pretty much says it all. I need some cycling glasses to be used mostly in daylight. Preferably non-tinted (although I'm told yellow-tint does aid night visibility). I think aviator style would look cooler, but would that style/shape work as well for cycling? Also, what are your opinions on the video glasses available? .
sounds to messy for me, i would attach a camera to my helmet or directly into the bike,

I would hold off on glasses with cameras for now. The technology is not quite there yet. I would opt for a good pair of cycling-specific glasses and GoPro on the helmet or even better on the handlebars.

I’m a cyclist and have been a sports optician for 17 years so here’s what I recommend: As far as frame style goes, you want something that stays on our face while you’re in the cycling position, ones that are helmet compatible, and that have rubber nose and temple grips to keep them from sliding around while you’re riding.

As for lenses, rose copper lenses are great for cycling; they increase contrast and your ability to see in and out of shadows, track potholes, tree roots, and other obstacles.

Here are a couple articles on what to consider when buying cycling sunglasses and some frames that are tailored specifically for the sport.
Cycling Sunglasses: Vision Is Important. Get the Right Pair.
Best Cycling Sunglasses

Cheers and happy riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsGeek .
Here are a couple articles on what to consider when buying cycling sunglasses and some frames that are tailored specifically for the sport.
Cycling Sunglasses: Vision Is Important. Get the Right Pair.
Best Cycling Sunglasses

Those aren't articles. They're just links to a place to buy glasses.

I wear cheap glasses from eyebuydirect. No point in big spending if my next accident will irreversibly bend the frame.
They look really nerdy, but you can keep a nicer off-bicycle pair.

Originally Posted by urge2kill

Those aren't articles. They're just links to a place to buy glasses.

I wear cheap glasses from eyebuydirect. No point in big spending if my next accident will irreversibly bend the frame.
They look really nerdy, but you can keep a nicer off-bicycle pair.
Hi, there! Sunglasses that have frames made with quality materials will be harder to damage in your next accident. For example, Oakley's O Matter material is super durable and a lot more flexible than your run-of-the-mill plastic frame, making breakage more difficult. O Matter also forms to the shape of your head over time, providing a more comfortable and secure fit. Plus, if you're a prescription-wearer and have Rx sunglasses, better vision on the bike may help prevent that next accident!

As for the links, one provides useful information about what to look for when you're in the market for good cycling glasses. The other offers specific examples of high-quality, cycling-specific frames. Where they are purchased is entirely up to the reader.

Happy riding!

Originally Posted by OpticsGeek
Hi, there! Sunglasses that have frames made with quality materials will be harder to damage in your next accident.
Awesome! So now it's OK to have an accident!?
big-smile.png

Quote:
Happy riding!

and happy accidents!?
big-smile.png

I get a 10 pack of tinted safety glasses from Sams club for $10. They look like regular sunglasses and last me at least one season.

Originally Posted by Volnix

Awesome! So now it's OK to have an accident!?
big-smile.png

Quote:
Happy riding!

and happy accidents!?
big-smile.png
Hi, Volnix. By no means is an accident ever welcomed! What you quoted was an excerpt from a response to another rider who mentioned breaking sunglasses in their "next accident." Happy accident-free riding! :)

Originally Posted by urge2kill
Maybe I should get glasses that block UV. Ultraviolet light might cause cataracts.
I thought that pretty much all sunglasses block UV nowadays. I know that my cheap polycarbonate safety glasses do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet#Eye

Originally Posted by maydog

I thought that pretty much all sunglasses block UV nowadays. I know that my cheap polycarbonate safety glasses do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet#Eye
I wear glasses for vision, but there are special kinds of lenses that cost extra.

Bummer, I would spend the extra dough for UV blocking lenses. When wearing sunglasses, your pupil is more dilated than it would be without, if your lenses let UV through unchecked you are actually exposing your retina to more UV than if you didn't wear glasses.

Reactions: urge2kill