Advice on eyewear?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, May 9, 2003.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    Am looking to get some eyewear, as my hayfever feels like it's just a round the corner.

    Any advice on where to look for deals, what to avoiud etc appreciated.

    My main cycling is towpaths & roads, both day & night. I presume a replaceable lens system is the
    best for me ..

    TIA

    Nick

    --
    ___________________________________
    www.local-hotel.com www.local-pub.com www.local-restaurant.com

    www.local-serve.com

    Tags:

  2. Antihistamines??

    Work for me :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > Am looking to get some eyewear, as my hayfever feels like it's just a r=
    ound
    > the corner.

    > Any advice on where to look for deals, what to avoiud etc appreciated.

    If you're not actually needing prescription lenses you've got a huge=20 choice, and a choice that
    starts out quite cheap. Most bike shops=20 should be able to sell you simple clear shields for
    around =A310-=A315, a= nd=20 as long as they seem comfy no real reason to spend more.

    > I presume a replaceable lens system is the best for me ..

    The really nice thing about replaceable lenses is that you can use the=20 same expensive
    prescription insert with various relatively cheap lens=20 setups, but without the insert you lose a
    fair bit of the point. You=20 can get a couple of pairs of basic sunglasses for about the same
    price=20 as the spare lenses so it's not like you're saving money... Since it's=20 hayfever that's
    the problem I'd just get some cheap clear lensed ones=20 and leave the expensive stuff to people who
    wear specs and/or are=20 fashion victims (I have Bolle Vigilantes, I do wear specs, I'll leave=20
    the fashion victim bit to other people's judgements!).

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Am looking to get some eyewear, as my hayfever feels like it's just a
    round
    > the corner.
    >
    > Any advice on where to look for deals, what to avoiud etc appreciated.
    >
    > My main cycling is towpaths & roads, both day & night. I presume a replaceable lens system is the
    > best for me ..

    I use yellow Skyper Uvex safety specs during the night and on cloudy days and dark brown ones when
    it's sunny. If you want a pair of each from our stores (we've got 100s) foc, send me an email at
    home with your QTH. http://www.qsl.net/w5www/qcode.html

  5. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > I use yellow Skyper Uvex safety specs during the night and on cloudy
    days
    > and dark brown ones when it's sunny. If you want a pair of each from our stores (we've got 100s)
    > foc, send me an email at home with your QTH. http://www.qsl.net/w5www/qcode.html

    Better than the normal post-it's ... :)

    Must admit that their marketing looks more like 'James Bond meets Village People' ...

    http://www.uvex.com/pdf/Skyper.pdf

    ;)

    p.s. you have mail :)

  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > I use yellow Skyper Uvex safety specs during the night and on cloudy days

    I use safety specs because they are cheaper so no need to worry about them, and they come in nice
    styles now.I bought a pair of quite ereasonable looking clear ones for 2-50 last week.Industrial
    safety equipment suppliers sell them. TerryJ