Advice on good 29er with brakes?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by duncan, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. duncan

    duncan Guest

    Hi,
    I'm looking for my next uni. I want to be able to ride fairly long
    distances (1-20 miles) , mainly on (not so nice) roads with lots of
    steep sections, some very steep. So far, I've been riding a 24," and I
    feel that I really want a brake on my next uni (though I've never tried
    one).
    How are brakes for descending long, steep hills? Do they work like
    I'm imagining (enjoyably cruising down the hill)?
    I'm thinking of buying a used Yuni 29er w/ Big Apple. Has anyone
    mounted a brake to a Yuni 29er?
    The other option I'm considering is a refurbished Coker from uni.com,
    but the brakes they offer for it are out of stock. Does anyone know how
    they mount brakes to these Cokers? I have read long threads about the
    difficulty (impossibility) of mounting brakes to stock coker frames.
    I would also appreciate any other recommendations as to other 29er's
    that would work well with a brake.

    -Cheers

    --
    duncan - The only unicyclist on the island
    duncan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6518

  2. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    I had brakes added to my 29er by Dave Stockton. Below is link to a
    picture.
    http://tinyurl.com/2luf3

    I found the braking somewhat poor with this brake set up. It does slow
    you down on descents, however, I really wanted more braking power. I
    got spoiled with my Magura Hs33s on my MUni so that’s what I expected.
    If you go to the album here http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq12
    , it will show you a profile of the lever set up. It was designed with
    a drag brake. The lever was a shifter lever that ratcheted from
    position to position. It worked okay, but I later replaced it with a
    stock brake lever and shortened the cable. This helped a bit, but the
    flex in the stock miyata seat base reduced it’s efficiency. When I
    pulled up hard on the brake lever, the seat would flex downward negating
    the leverage that was needed. In one last effort to modify this set up,
    I will replace inexpensive brake pads with something more expensive that
    would have a better compound. Hopefully that will help out.

    Dave, while working with Ben Plotkin Swing, recently, came up with a
    very suitable set up. This is a far better setup than mine. The thread
    is here
    http://tinyurl.com/27bxj
    I would suggest going that route.

    --
    teachndad - The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  3. jagur

    jagur Guest

    dont waste you money on a hydralic Magura brake for a 28/29er. Pitbull
    and V-brakes are plenty strong and clear a fat 29er tyre easy.

    so either drill a hole through the crown for a Pitbull or weld on some
    bosses for a V-brake. dont settle for a side pull brake,they suck when
    you have only one wheel.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    [image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/godzilla.gif]-Forget_Your_Life-

  4. Hey, I'm after exactly the same thing in a 29er and I am currently
    saving up for the Dave Stockton Endurance 29er in the thread above. Dave
    is very VERY friendly and helpful and has answered many of my silly
    questions with full in depth answers from everything on price and
    shipping to functionality and asthetics and getting the unicycle to suit
    me.

    I definately recommend asking him.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  5. duncan

    duncan Guest

    Thanks for the advice.
    > I found the braking somewhat poor with this brake set up.

    Teachndad, what's the big advantage with Magura brakes? The only reason
    I think I want brakes is for long, steep descents. I don't want to make
    this a thread about Magura vs. V brakes, but I didn't think I needed
    Mag's, so I want to hear more about why you're not satisfied with your
    setup (as that looks like what I wanted! although I would definately
    want a Big Apple tire)

    Also, why did you originally leave that long coil of brake cable like
    that? I haven't yet messed with installing brakes; is cutting the brake
    cable to the right length going to be a problem?

    > This helped a bit, but the flex in the stock miyata seat base reduced
    > it’s efficiency. When I pulled up hard on the brake lever, the seat
    > would flex downward negating the leverage that was needed.

    How is this so? You didn't mount the brake handle to that bar where you
    mounted the original shift lever? (shown in your pic)

    OWS,
    How much is Dave charging for his Endurance 29er? Is he basically
    adding a brake and handle to any 29er frame you want? Or what exactly
    is he selling?

    -thanks

    --
    duncan - The only unicyclist on the island
    duncan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6518

  6. I was estimated that the Endurance 29er as shown would cost around
    US$999. It's not just the brake, but the custom airseat and wheel etc.
    He can do the Sem XL frame shown or Hunter or GB4 frames too. Pretty
    much anything I think, there's so much choice!

    It's best to ask him tho, I contacted and got everything I needed to
    know very quickly- he is very nice. I'm definately getting the uni- I'm
    sooo tempted by the Hunter frame!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  7. duncan

    duncan Guest

  8. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Duncan,

    "Teachndad, what's the big advantage with Magura brakes? The only
    reason I think I want brakes is for long, steep descents."

    Originally, when I wanted to buy the 29er, I wanted to use it off road
    for cross country riding - fire roads and the like. I wanted some
    brakes for the descents, which could be steep. So, in my ignorance, I
    assumed that the braking would be similar to the Maguras on my Muni.
    I'm not recommmending them for the 29er, I just mentioned it as a
    reference for stopping power. The current set up on the 29er probably
    reduced leg braking by 25 percent. It's noticeble, but you still have
    to pedal with back pressure.

    You only need a drill press to drill into the frame and then the brake
    mounting hardware.

    I still want to try different pads, but I am afraid, that might not
    happen for a while. So, I can't give you any feedback on that. Ask
    Dave what he thinks.

    "Also, why did you originally leave that long coil of brake cable like
    that?"

    I left it long like that only because, I never got around to it. At
    the time I took the picture, I was busy and figured I would get to it
    someday. Sadly, it hangs in the garage most of the time. I probably
    have only ridden it 6 - 8 times. One of which was off road.

    "is cutting the brake cable to the right length going to be a
    problem?"

    I actually didn't cut the cable, I had an old pile of junk MTB frame
    lying around and took the cable housings off that. I found a piece that
    was just long enough.

    "How is this so? You didn't mount the brake handle to that bar where
    you mounted the original shift lever?" (shown in your pic)

    I ended up cutting that bar(bar end extender) shorter. I took one of
    the brake levers off the old mtb and mounted it on the shortened bar
    extender.

    I will post a photo of the revised brake handle set up so you can see
    what I mean. That should happen in the next few days - sorry for the
    delay. We are traveling this weekend.

    Dave built the wheel also and recommended the rim, and spokes. Thats a
    WTB motoraptor tire. Originally, it was a 28er, but I went to the
    29"tire to get more support for offroad.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    teachndad - The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  9. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    here is the link for the photo of the revised brake lever set up

    http://tinyurl.com/2fzr9

    | Attachment filename: mvc-001s.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/217942|

    teachndad - The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  10. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

  11. duncan

    duncan Guest

    Tchnd,
    Thanks for all those answers.

    I just ordered my new Yuni w/ Big Apple from uni.com. Can't wait!

    I'm impressed with what Dave is doing to 29ers, but I can't spend a
    grand on one.

    I really do still want a brake, but I'll have to see what I can do
    myself. The
    'Rad V Brake Mount'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=566) looks doable, too
    bad it's out of stock.

    I guess I'll just be riding brakeless for now, I'm super stoked about
    trying this new uni though, esp with the BA.

    --
    duncan - The only unicyclist on the island
    duncan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6518

  12. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    duncan wrote:
    > *Tchnd,
    > Thanks for all those answers.
    >
    > I just ordered my new Yuni w/ Big Apple from uni.com. Can't wait!
    >
    > I'm impressed with what Dave is doing to 29ers, but I can't spend a
    > grand on one.
    >
    > I really do still want a brake, but I'll have to see what I can do
    > myself. The
    > 'Rad V Brake Mount'
    > (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=566) looks doable,
    > too bad it's out of stock.
    > *

    A lot of bike shops will braze on brake mounts for you. I've seen a yuni
    frame with the mounts brazed on and it looked fine. I think it costs
    about £20 or so if you only want the brazed on bits for standard
    v-brakes and don't want painting or anything else doing to it. Tell them
    you want v-brake mounts brazed on to a front fork.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde