Advice on heart rate monitor/cyclometer

eric-pac

Jun 8, 2003
I am looking into different heart rate monitors and cyclometers.

First I own a Vetta 100 cyclometer and I like it. Now, I am looking for a HRM for myself. Currently I am training...planning on racing next year. Nothing too fancy, but not cheap either.

Second, I am looking for a HRM and cyclometer for my girlfriend. Would you recommned a combo or buy them seperate. She enjoys biking and running and is doing a triathon or two this summer. I read that some of the HRMs cyclometer functions are not worth it. I am thinking the seperate would be more functional.

Lastly, what cyclometers do you recommed? Like I said, I have a Vetta and I like it. There was a good deal on Performance and I went for it.

I would like to know what are the most important functions in HRMs and what are good but not that important functions. Is downloading to a PC neccessary.

Any other info I left out, let me know.

eric-pac

I mtn bike, road bike and trail run and decided I wanted to get a better handle on my HR. Wanted something simple and useful for both biking and non-biking activities. I purchased a simple Polar HR A3 monitor at REI to learn more about them and try it out. I paid $80 and am very pleased with the results. No need to upgrade.

It has a clock/timer, basic HR, % of max, and ET displays, target zone info, etc. It also saves the data for later review. Nothing but the basics. Wear it constantly when doing activities and train more effectively. I do not like complicated multi-function devices anymore - the simpler the better, so you can focus on enjoying your ride, run or whatever.