Advice on Imflating Tyres I managed to Deflate mine

Sherer

Guest
Hi

I've made abit of a c**k up in inflating my tyres so thought i'd ask for some advice from the
experts. I've just got a Topeak Road mini pump and have IRC Redstorm tyres on Vuelta rims. When I
connected the pump i managed to deflate my tyre totally!

With the valve do I need to press this right down into the tyre to pump it up or it is just a matter
of connecting the pump and locking it then pumping away ? should i move the vavle to the top or side
or at the bottom

With a flat tyre how long shound it take to pump up.. i've been going 10 mins but still not much
change.. even on my read which is quite well pumped up the pressure gauge still only says 20 PSI and
never moves any higher

Regards Sherer

"Sherer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've made abit of a c**k up in inflating my tyres so thought i'd ask for some advice from the
> experts. I've just got a Topeak Road mini pump and have IRC Redstorm tyres on Vuelta rims. When I
> connected the pump i
managed
> to deflate my tyre totally!
>
> With the valve do I need to press this right down into the tyre to pump it up or it is just a
> matter of connecting the pump and locking it then
pumping
> away ? should i move the vavle to the top or side or at the bottom
>
> With a flat tyre how long shound it take to pump up.. i've been going 10 mins but still not much
> change.. even on my read which is quite well
pumped
> up the pressure gauge still only says 20 PSI and never moves any higher

I assume you have the long, thin, Presta type valves with a small knurled nut on them. This being so
I wonder if the pump is set up for Schrader car type valves? If it is then there will be a pin
inside the pump connector that is meant to open Schrader valves during inflation but is not required
with Prestas and in fact may prevent it inflating. This can usually be removed or reversed.

Another thing that can happen is the valve breaking loose in the tube when the pump is connected,
this will obviously deflate the tyre and prevent inflation, a new tube is required. Or you may just
have a puncture preventing inflation.

Nomal procedure with a Presta valve is to undo the knurled nut then press it briefly to ensure it's
not sticking, some air will escape, then push the pump onto the valve, lock the pump on with the
lever, if fitted, and pump away. Even a **** pump ought to get above 20psi in under 10 minutes.

Pete

Peter

Thanks for the info. When yoo say undo the curled nut do you mean the black plastic cover or do you
mean the metal part where i'm attaching the pump. Sorry to be so stupid here but i'm not too good
with mechanical things!

Paul "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Sherer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've made abit of a c**k up in inflating my tyres so thought i'd ask for some advice from the
> > experts. I've just got a Topeak Road mini pump and have IRC Redstorm tyres on Vuelta rims. When
> > I connected the pump i
> managed
> > to deflate my tyre totally!
> >
> > With the valve do I need to press this right down into the tyre to pump
it
> > up or it is just a matter of connecting the pump and locking it then
> pumping
> > away ? should i move the vavle to the top or side or at the bottom
> >
> > With a flat tyre how long shound it take to pump up.. i've been going 10 mins but still not much
> > change.. even on my read which is quite well
> pumped
> > up the pressure gauge still only says 20 PSI and never moves any higher
>
> I assume you have the long, thin, Presta type valves with a small knurled nut on them. This being
> so I wonder if the pump is set up for Schrader car type valves? If it is then there will be a pin
> inside the pump connector that is meant
> open Schrader valves during inflation but is not required with Prestas and in fact may prevent it
> inflating. This can usually be removed or reversed.
>
> Another thing that can happen is the valve breaking loose in the tube when the pump is connected,
> this will obviously deflate the tyre and prevent inflation, a new tube is required. Or you may
> just have a puncture preventing inflation.
>
> Nomal procedure with a Presta valve is to undo the knurled nut then press
it
> briefly to ensure it's not sticking, some air will escape, then push the pump onto the valve, lock
> the pump on with the lever, if fitted, and pump away. Even a **** pump ought to get above 20psi in
> under 10 minutes.
>
> Pete

By the way, I've just bought a Halfords digital pump that works off a car cigarette lighter socket.
You set the pressure you want and it inflates to that pressure, then stops. No use to carry on a
bike ride but great to get the right pressure before you leave. Its got three different types of
valve connectors too.

Tom

Sherer wrote:
> I've made abit of a c**k up in inflating my tyres so thought i'd ask for some advice from the
> experts. I've just got a Topeak Road mini pump and have IRC Redstorm tyres on Vuelta rims. When I
> connected the pump i managed to deflate my tyre totally!
>
> With the valve do I need to press this right down into the tyre to pump it up or it is just a
> matter of connecting the pump and locking it then pumping away ? should i move the vavle to the
> top or side or at the bottom

Here's a picture of a Presta valve: http://www.xsystems.co.uk/machinehead/images/goodvalve.jpg Have
you got these?

...Or Schrader: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/valvesch.gif ?

Make sure pump is appropriate for valve type (many have reversable heads).

For prestas, undo the little nut at the top all the way, then give the stem a quick press like you
do to release air - to unstick the valve, then connect pump. I'm not sure quite what your pump is
like, but with most, you just push on as far as will go then lock (if it has any locking device). It
that fails, try not so far down.

> With a flat tyre how long shound it take to pump up.

I can do mine in 23 seconds ....but then I have got a big pump :)

> . i've been going 10 mins but still not much change..

Should get more than 20psi pressure before two minutes, might then go on to take 5 mins+ to reach
full pressure depending on pump and your strength & fitness.

Is pumping extremely hard work? (Valve might be sticking, pump might not be connected properly).

Any hissing? (Pump might not be connected properly or might have a puncture).

Even if no noise, you might have a slow puncture. Sometimes a small amount of air can be retianed
even though the inner tube has a small hole.

~PB

yeah i found the problem.. looks like i've got schrader valves. i managed to turn the connector in
the pump the other way round and it tried it. It's pumpong air in ok.. it's taking awhile but i'm
not the strongest bloke in the world.. thanks for the help "Pete Biggs"
<pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sherer wrote:
> > I've made abit of a c**k up in inflating my tyres so thought i'd ask for some advice from the
> > experts. I've just got a Topeak Road mini pump and have IRC Redstorm tyres on Vuelta rims. When
> > I connected the pump i managed to deflate my tyre totally!
> >
> > With the valve do I need to press this right down into the tyre to pump it up or it is just a
> > matter of connecting the pump and locking it then pumping away ? should i move the vavle to the
> > top or side or at the bottom
>
> Here's a picture of a Presta valve: http://www.xsystems.co.uk/machinehead/images/goodvalve.jpg
> Have you got these?
>
> ...Or Schrader: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/valvesch.gif ?
>
> Make sure pump is appropriate for valve type (many have reversable heads).
>
> For prestas, undo the little nut at the top all the way, then give the stem a quick press like you
> do to release air - to unstick the valve, then connect pump. I'm not sure quite what your pump is
> like, but with most, you just push on as far as will go then lock (if it has any locking device).
> It that fails, try not so far down.
>
> > With a flat tyre how long shound it take to pump up.
>
> I can do mine in 23 seconds ....but then I have got a big pump :)
>
> > . i've been going 10 mins but still not much change..
>
> Should get more than 20psi pressure before two minutes, might then go on to take 5 mins+ to reach
> full pressure depending on pump and your strength & fitness.
>
> Is pumping extremely hard work? (Valve might be sticking, pump might not be connected properly).
>
> Any hissing? (Pump might not be connected properly or might have a puncture).
>
> Even if no noise, you might have a slow puncture. Sometimes a small amount of air can be retianed
> even though the inner tube has a small hole.
>
> ~PB

"Tom C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> By the way, I've just bought a Halfords digital pump that works off a car cigarette lighter
> socket. You set the pressure you want and it inflates
> that pressure, then stops. No use to carry on a bike ride but great to get the right pressure
> before you leave. Its got three different types of
valve
> connectors too.

What psi does this work up to?

I wrote

Adrian wrote:

> What psi does this work up to?

Hmm, not sure and will have to connect it up to have a look (no written instructions with the
thing). I'll get back to you on that.

Tom

"Sherer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> yeah i found the problem.. looks like i've got schrader valves. i managed to turn the connector in
> the pump the other way round and it tried it. It's pumpong air in ok.. it's taking awhile but i'm
> not the strongest bloke in the world.. thanks for the help

Now you know how to use the mini-pump, do yourself a favour and keep it for the road. Get yourself a
nice track pump to use at home.

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:
> "Sherer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Now you know how to use the mini-pump, do yourself a favour and keep it for the road. Get yourself
> a nice track pump to use at home.

Or even easier, one of those battery powered inflater things for car tyres from H@lfrods that plugs
into the lighter socket in a car. About 30 quid. I use an old motorbike battery (smaller) that's too
feeble to turn a starter motor, but still holds an adequate charge, and a socket that attaches to
the battery terminals with crocodile clips and provides a female cigarette lighter socket (a couple
of quid from a car accessories shop).

Plug in, attach to valve, press go, and inflate away with no discernable physical effort. Only
tested it to 80psi (on MTB slicks), but gauge on pump goes to about 180psi. The presta adaptor
attachment doesn't seem to work very well, but I use schraeder valves in the main. Also inflates
rubber dingies, airbeds and footballs :)

You'll probably also check your car tyre pressures correctly (i.e. when cold) more often, and
correct them more frequently too, which is no bad thing.

OK, I've got more wheels attached to motor vehicles than bicycles to check (12 vs. 6), so something
car oriented works better for me.

--

Mark Davies

Mark Davies <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Or even easier, one of those battery powered inflater things for car tyres from H@lfrods that
> plugs into the lighter socket in a car. About 30 quid.

Noisy and slow.

--
Dave...

>> Or even easier, one of those battery powered inflater things for car tyres from H@lfrods that
>> plugs into the lighter socket in a car. About 30 quid.
>
> Noisy and slow.

If got 30 quid to burn, might as well get a track pump (big hand operated floor pump). Quick, easy
and no need to plug it in!

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
>>>Or even easier, one of those battery powered inflater things for car tyres from H@lfrods that
>>>plugs into the lighter socket in a car. About 30 quid.
>>
>>Noisy and slow.
>

> If got 30 quid to burn, might as well get a track pump (big hand operated floor pump). Quick, easy
> and no need to plug it in!
>
> ~PB

<shrug>works for me<\shrug>

If you haven't got a car, then it probably won't suit. I've got a car, two motorbikes, and my wife
has a car as well (and has _never_ checked the tyre pressures), so something that does motor
vehicles is more useful to me. The fact that it does bicycle tyres as well is more of a bonus.

Just an alternative to the oft-touted track pump.

--

Mark Davies

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in news:b8ttq2$do1av$1 @ID-144931.news.dfncis.de:

> If got 30 quid to burn, might as well get a track pump (big hand operated floor pump). Quick, easy
> and no need to plug it in!

Or the equally effective Asda effort for 8 quid - decent build quality, the only thing that you
would maybe get extra on a 30 quid pump would be a dual valve head rather than the one on the Asda
pump which needs the rubber bit swapped round.

Graeme wrote:
> Or the equally effective Asda effort for 8 quid - decent build quality, the only thing that you
> would maybe get extra on a 30 quid pump would be a dual valve head rather than the one on the Asda
> pump which needs the rubber bit swapped round.

I don't know the Asda model. Does it have a pressure gauge? Is it fully rebuildable with all its
parts replaceable, and can it manage 240psi? ...or even 130psi adequately?

Silca Super Pista is one I can recommend costing under £30. Will pump a 24mm road tyre to 130psi in
less than 1 minute comfortably. Should also be good will lower pressure fat tyres as well.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in news:b8u4s4$d8cvs$1 @ID-144931.news.dfncis.de:

> I don't know the Asda model. Does it have a pressure gauge? Is it fully rebuildable with all its
> parts replaceable, and can it manage 240psi? ...or even 130psi adequately?

The name on the side is "Giyo". It has a gauge, but that only measures up to 160psi and I've never
needed to go that high (and I doubt the OP would either). The reason I bought it was my previous
pump had replaceable bits, but as soon as I broke the head I discovered that "replaceable" does not
equal "reasonably priced". So rather than spend 11 quid on just a head I spent 8 quid on a whole
pump that I think is actually better quality than the original 20 quid pump.

I'm not saying a 30 quid pump isn't worth it, but if the cheaper pump meets your needs then it makes
sense. Or maybe that's just the skinflint in me
:)

Have fun!

Graeme

yeah after finally getting my tyres pumped up with the mini pump i'm looking into getting a track
pump as well.. i can only just about get 100 PSI but that's alot of hard work "Pete Biggs"