Advice on Kiddie Trailers

Probably too late for this info to be useful to robalert, but for anyone else, if you are going to be using your trailer on a regular basis (ie 3 or more times a week), you can’t go past the Chariot. I bought the Cougar 1 (1 child). It would be an expensive toy, but it is a very cheap second car.

We had our baby in it from about 4 months with loads of padding around his head riding very slowly on paths only. Chariot makes a nice sling for use in pram mode (although I have seen it used in trailer mode and the baby looked very secure).

The only problem is, I have not been able to get my two year old out of it, and onto a bike seat so I can get my next child into it. I am loathe to buy a double as I really enjoyed the manoeuvrability of the narrower model.

If you know anyone who is in the US, get them to buy you one and send it over. They work out hundreds of dollars cheaper. I tried to order a double online recently (from the online store where I bought the single) and found that Chariot won’t let that retailer sell them internationally anymore. I would boycott them on that basis, but nobody else does one with suspension so I may sell my soul.

There are a couple of obscure retailers in Canberra (Australia) that sell them now.

Hauling the trailer with child and shopping has done wonders for my hill climbing. You only notice the drag once you unhitch it.

As for the basic models, the only recommendation I ever go was for the Pacific (about $400) and everyone is perfectly happy with it.

We have used the Giant Peapod for a couple of years and love it. I ride almost daily with my 2 and 4 year old on board. We are happy with the space (several friends have the Pacific and found there 3 year olds are already reaching height capacity). Our 2 year old was strong enough to wear a helmet from 6 months so began her riding life in there. I do, however, raise caution against putting children in bike seats/trailers too early (we did and are now the wiser!) as all those unsupported bumps are bad for developing necks and spines! So perhaps, consider models with suspension. I would certainly consider that as a prerequisite, even now with the children older.

Both my husband and I switch the peapod between our bikes but have been disappointed that Giant couldn't provide a second bracket set to make swapping over far easier.

A couple of friends are keen to buy the Giant peapod but have been told Giant are no longer making them? Anyone know about this?

robalert said:
I got a 6 week old baby.. and starting to research Child trailers. I know he need to learn to sit first, but an approx 4 month lead up to purchase is reasonable. If there is a good deal, then I'll snap it up first. I would like to cycle with my wife again so I think the solution is to bring bub along.

Anyway, does anyone have a trailer here and do you have a friend who has one? How much did it set you back? How is the quality?

I've checked out a few on the internet. I am only planning to use it for weekend rides with my wife rather than serious commuting. I am considering the $500-$700 price ranges... so the top end burley or chariot stuff is out... (>$1000) unless you think they have serious merit for my purposes.

For the money, I've seen these around...

Pacific Alloy (distributed by Bikecorp)

Phillips Kiddicarrier

Croozer

Burley Bee

Giant PeaPod

* After some preliminary research, the Burley seems to be the goer....

Any comments on these or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Great to hear others feedback

Croozer has been going strong and it is very well made, very solid but also quite heavy

All in all, it simply allows us, the whole family to go riding together, which to me is the main point of the trailer. It is hefty to ride with a trailer and then you add the kid, nappy bag etc... so I don't worry about the trailer's weight.

Seen a chariot parked near parramatta river and it certainly looks very nice and light
One thing common to all trailers, cars give you alot of space and you get alot of attention from non-cyclists.

robalert said:
Great to hear others feedback

Croozer has been going strong and it is very well made, very solid but also quite heavy

All in all, it simply allows us, the whole family to go riding together, which to me is the main point of the trailer. It is hefty to ride with a trailer and then you add the kid, nappy bag etc... so I don't worry about the trailer's weight.

Seen a chariot parked near parramatta river and it certainly looks very nice and light
One thing common to all trailers, cars give you alot of space and you get alot of attention from non-cyclists.
Yep, when I am out with an ordinary stroller the mothers look it up and down. When I am out with the trailer, the blokes look at it too and then want to talk specs.

Am going to have to go the double. Does the Croozer have suspension?

trailertrash26 said:
Yep, when I am out with an ordinary stroller the mothers look it up and down. When I am out with the trailer, the blokes look at it too and then want to talk specs.

Am going to have to go the double. Does the Croozer have suspension?
We've the Cougar 2 and it's a brilliant piece of engineering. To be honest, if we didn't already have a pram and an umbrella stroller, we'd go on to buy the Cougar 1 as well for use as a stroller.

has anyone thought of buying a used one from north america? (burley are made in the u.s. and chariot in canada). looks like shipping costs are about 150 u.s. there are a few burleys on e-bay for prices b/w 50 and 205 u.s. with the aus dollar the way it is it may be a viable option. some of the sellers will ship to aus. if it's under $1000 aus. it bypasses the customs charges.

I'm seriously thinking about it. there are 4 solo burleys for sale in the u.s. on e-bay at the moment.

will update if we do go that way.

helen mc