Advice on kid's bikes-Schwinn or other

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Julie Datt, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Julie Datt

    Julie Datt Guest

    Hi,

    I need buy a bike for my 8 year old. I have not researched or looked around much yet. At the
    local bike shop are some nice looking bikes in the $150 plus price range. However the local
    Target has a Schwinn Falcon for around $70. From what I know about bikes(not too much yet)
    Schwinns are pretty good.

    Anyone have any feedback on the Falcon or suggestions for any good boys bike? I bought his first
    bike at ToysRUs and it was so inferior. I do want to buy a better quality bike this time, but do not
    also want to spend a fortune.

    Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks so much,

    Julie

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Julie Datt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need buy a bike for my 8 year old. I have not researched or looked around much yet. At the
    > local bike shop are some nice looking bikes in the $150 plus price range. However the local
    > Target has a Schwinn Falcon for around $70. From what I know about bikes(not too much yet)
    > Schwinns are pretty good.
    >
    > Anyone have any feedback on the Falcon or suggestions for any good boys bike? I bought his first
    > bike at ToysRUs and it was so inferior. I do want to buy a better quality bike this time, but do
    > not also want to spend a fortune.
    >
    > Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks so much,
    >
    > Julie

    A BMX for the next couple years, and then an MTB when he fits a 13/14".

    Pete

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Julie Datt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need buy a bike for my 8 year old. I have not researched or looked around much yet. At the
    > local bike shop are some nice looking bikes in the $150 plus price range. However the local
    > Target has a Schwinn Falcon for around $70. From what I know about bikes(not too much yet)
    > Schwinns are pretty good.

    These days Schwinns are hardly better than Huffys. Schwinn went bankrupt and sold their name to a
    taiwan manufacturer....

    A bike from a shop will be of better quality and will be assembled properly by trained staff. The
    bike shop will also provide mechanical support which you will never find at Target. If you know how
    to repair bikes yourself, then you could double-check the workmanship at Target to be certain the
    bike was assembled properly. If you aren't familiar with bikes, I wouldn't depend on the department
    store clerks knowing how to properly assemble them. Horror stories about assembly mistakes in the
    department store bikes are in abundance in this newsgroup.

    > Anyone have any feedback on the Falcon or suggestions for any good boys bike? I bought his first
    > bike at ToysRUs and it was so inferior. I do want to buy a better quality bike this time, but do
    > not also want to spend a fortune.

    Spend a bit more for the support, the build quality and proper assembly. A bike shop bike will hold
    a much higher resale value in the long run.

    -Buck