Advice on kid's bikes-Schwinn or other

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Julie Datt

Hi,

I need buy a bike for my 8 year old. I have not researched or looked around much yet. At the
local bike shop are some nice looking bikes in the $150 plus price range. However the local
Target has a Schwinn Falcon for around $70. From what I know about bikes(not too much yet)
Schwinns are pretty good.

Anyone have any feedback on the Falcon or suggestions for any good boys bike? I bought his first
bike at ToysRUs and it was so inferior. I do want to buy a better quality bike this time, but do not
also want to spend a fortune.

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Julie

"Julie Datt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I need buy a bike for my 8 year old. I have not researched or looked around much yet. At the
> local bike shop are some nice looking bikes in the $150 plus price range. However the local
> Target has a Schwinn Falcon for around $70. From what I know about bikes(not too much yet)
> Schwinns are pretty good.
>
> Anyone have any feedback on the Falcon or suggestions for any good boys bike? I bought his first
> bike at ToysRUs and it was so inferior. I do want to buy a better quality bike this time, but do
> not also want to spend a fortune.
>
> Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Julie

A BMX for the next couple years, and then an MTB when he fits a 13/14".

Pete

"Julie Datt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I need buy a bike for my 8 year old. I have not researched or looked around much yet. At the
> local bike shop are some nice looking bikes in the $150 plus price range. However the local
> Target has a Schwinn Falcon for around $70. From what I know about bikes(not too much yet)
> Schwinns are pretty good.

These days Schwinns are hardly better than Huffys. Schwinn went bankrupt and sold their name to a
taiwan manufacturer....

A bike from a shop will be of better quality and will be assembled properly by trained staff. The
bike shop will also provide mechanical support which you will never find at Target. If you know how
to repair bikes yourself, then you could double-check the workmanship at Target to be certain the
bike was assembled properly. If you aren't familiar with bikes, I wouldn't depend on the department
store clerks knowing how to properly assemble them. Horror stories about assembly mistakes in the
department store bikes are in abundance in this newsgroup.

>
> Anyone have any feedback on the Falcon or suggestions for any good boys bike? I bought his first
> bike at ToysRUs and it was so inferior. I do want to buy a better quality bike this time, but do
> not also want to spend a fortune.

Spend a bit more for the support, the build quality and proper assembly. A bike shop bike will hold
a much higher resale value in the long run.

-Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.