Road Cycling · Public discussion

Advice on Locking Bikes to Hitch Rack

Started by kc · · Last activity · 3 posts · 369 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 May 2007
Last activity
14 May 2007
Original author
kc
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
369
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Softride Access Pull Pin Rack. It's a trailer hitch rack that
    holds 4 bicycles (see it at http://www.softride.com). What is the best
    way to lock bicycles to this type of rack? It comes with a built in
    cable, but it looks as though it could be easily cut.

    I know there is no such thing as a totally secure system, but would
    like to give myself the best odds possible. Until now, I've only used
    the rack to transport the bikes for day trips, so they were never out
    of my sight. Now I'm thinking of taking them on some longer trips,
    where they will be parked in a motel parking lot overnight or at a
    rest stop/restaurant for an hour or so.

    Whatever advice/experience you've got to share would be appreciated.

  2. kc said:

    I have a Softride Access Pull Pin Rack. It's a trailer hitch rack that
    holds 4 bicycles (see it athttp://www.softride.com). What is the best
    way to lock bicycles to this type of rack? It comes with a built in
    cable, but it looks as though it could be easily cut.

    I know there is no such thing as a totally secure system, but would
    like to give myself the best odds possible. Until now, I've only used
    the rack to transport the bikes for day trips, so they were never out
    of my sight. Now I'm thinking of taking them on some longer trips,
    where they will be parked in a motel parking lot overnight or at a
    rest stop/restaurant for an hour or so.

    Whatever advice/experience you've got to share would be appreciated.

    I'd have to look at your rack, but here's some ideas. My family and
    traveled for several months with bikes on an exterior rack. We used
    U-locks (or pick your favorite secure lock) to lock the bike frames
    together by pairs, "daisy chain" style (A is locked to B, B is locked
    C, C is locked to D, et cetera), then the last one is locked to the
    frame. Then we just had cables to run through all the front wheels
    and rear wheels (we had the bikes on the carrier alternating front/
    back). The cable wasn't as secure, but these were relatively cheap
    bikes and we weren't worried about the wheels too much. You might be
    able to think of a way to lock frames and wheels together A-B, B-C,
    etc.

    Anyway, look at your set up and think "daisy chain". Yes, it might
    take a few locks but you probably would have one per bike anyway, and
    the alterntive is to carry them inside at night.

  3. kc said:

    I have a Softride Access Pull Pin Rack. It's a trailer hitch rack that
    holds 4 bicycles (see it athttp://www.softride.com). What is the best
    way to lock bicycles to this type of rack? It comes with a built in
    cable, but it looks as though it could be easily cut.

    I know there is no such thing as a totally secure system, but would
    like to give myself the best odds possible. Until now, I've only used
    the rack to transport the bikes for day trips, so they were never out
    of my sight. Now I'm thinking of taking them on some longer trips,
    where they will be parked in a motel parking lot overnight or at a
    rest stop/restaurant for an hour or so.

    Whatever advice/experience you've got to share would be appreciated.

    My own view is that I would never think of leaving my bike locked to a
    car rack out of sight for a significant period of time and certainly
    not overnight. When travleing I bring the bikes into the motel at
    night. Bike locks pretty much are designed to slow thieves down and
    not prevent them. So, if you are thinking of giving them several hours
    to figure out how to defeat your lock I think it's a bid decision.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.