Advice on moulton?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by SamB76, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. SamB76

    SamB76 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2004
    Hello,

    I hope somebody can give me some advice here on what seems to be a more unusual bike-tolerant forum.
    I just bought a 16" wheel moulton mark3. Can I fit 17" wheels without modification? Also can I spread the rear forks to admit a standard hub without cracking them?
    Thanks,
    Sam

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    SamB76 wrote:

    > I hope somebody can give me some advice here on what seems to be a more unusual bike-tolerant
    > forum. I just bought a 16" wheel moulton mark3. Can I fit 17" wheels without modification? Also
    > can I spread the rear forks to admit a standard hub without cracking them? Thanks, Sam

    Stoopid Question, but why do you want to? Main thing you'll achieve, I'd think, would be making it
    far, far, far more difficult to source quality tyres...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. SamB76 wrote:

    > I hope somebody can give me some advice here on what seems to be a more unusual bike-tolerant
    > forum. I just bought a 16" wheel moulton mark3. Can I fit 17" wheels without modification?

    I think the Moulton "16" is ISO 349, in which case the "17" rim has a 10 mm greater radius. The
    tyres are likely to be close enough in sidewall height that they won't make a lot of difference, so
    the crucial things are:

    a. clearances to frame / fork / mudguards, and
    b. whether the brake blocks can be adjusted that much.

    If there's enough room for a, but not b, new brakes might solve the problem. Get out your tape
    measure... Tyre choices are much better for 369 Moultons these days, as Conti are doing the Safari
    (looks like the old Wolber but has the construction of a GP) and Bridgestone do one which is
    sturdier though not as quick. Plus my Sinister Agents say that Schwalbe are to introduce a 369
    Stelvio in the spring.

    > Also can I spread the rear forks to admit a standard hub without cracking them?

    Dunno about this.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  4. >I hope somebody can give me some advice here on what seems to be a more unusual bike-
    >tolerant forum.

    Are we a bike-tolerant forum that's full of more unusual types of people, then? 'Cos being a cycling
    forum, it isn't unusual that we are bike-tolerant.

    Does this mean to say that when I don my celeste tutu and wield a paving slab, I'm unusual?? ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  5. "SamB76" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just bought a 16" wheel moulton mark3.

    > Can I fit 17" wheels without modification?

    There were two models of Mk3 front fork. The early model had fat, round-section blades (in common
    with the later Series 2 bikes) and measured 3 3/4" (95mm) across the dropouts, while the later
    model had oval blades and measured only 3 1/2" (89mm). Either can be carefully spread to the 100mm
    width of a modern hub, and you'll need to enlarge the dropouts very slightly with a file to take a
    modern 9mm axle - unless you intend to keep the old hub. In terms of blade length, a 17" AM rim and
    tyre will fit, and the brake reach will be about on the limit for a 57mm-reach calliper. Mudguard
    clearance is minimal using the Wolber or Bridgestone 17" tyres, so you may want to consider filing
    the crown very slighty if using mudguards. A Series 1 fork will also fit the Mk3 frame, and has the
    same essential dimensions as the Series 2 save for its slimmer (and therefore easier to spread)
    fork blades.

    At the rear you've plenty of room, but fitting a brake will be an issue if the bike has the original
    Sturmey drum and you opt to replace the hub. If you leave the 'seatstay' bridge where it is, you'll
    need to reinforce it and use a longer-reach brake than at the front - or re-position it downward
    towards the rim.

    Whether or not the conversion is desirable is a common point of debate among Moultoneers. The
    popularity of the 16" format means that tyres and rims are more widely available at better prices.
    My stolen Mk3 used 17" wheels because I happened to find a pair at a very good price, but I'm not
    sure what my next Mk3 will use.

    > Also can I spread the rear forks to admit a standard hub without cracking them?

    When you say 'a standard hub' ... ? The Mk3 used a 4 1/2" (114mm) rear end, which was a standard of
    sorts for Sturmey 3- and 5-speed hubs. I've seen Mk3 rear triangles spread as wide as 135mm, but
    it's a bigger job than I'd be happy to advise on. The stay bridges will need to be removed and re-
    brazed at very least. A Sturmey S5/2 or Sprinter 5 makes a happy match with the Mk3 if you want to
    increase the gear range.

    I'm no longer a regular here, and I don't know if other Moultoneers are about, but your best source
    of further information is the Moulton list at Yahoo Groups:

    There's also a searchable archive of the old Moulton list at:

    http://www.topica.com/lists/moulton/read

    Enjoy your Mk3. With the right upgrades they make wonderful city bikes - agile and comfortable,
    with great carrying capacity. Mine was stolen about a year ago in Paris. If you happen to see it
    around ...

    http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/yosnappyj/detail?.dir=/Mk3

    James Thomson

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 30 Jan 2004 16:26:39 GMT someone who may be
    [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote
    this:-

    >>I hope somebody can give me some advice here on what seems to be a more unusual bike-
    >>tolerant forum.
    >
    >Are we a bike-tolerant forum that's full of more unusual types of people, then? 'Cos being a
    >cycling forum, it isn't unusual that we are bike-tolerant.

    Tolerance of unusual bikes is what is being suggested I think.

    http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/ might have some useful pages and/or links.

  7. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > >I hope somebody can give me some advice here on what seems to be a more unusual bike-
    > >tolerant forum.
    >
    > Are we a bike-tolerant forum that's full of more unusual types of people,
    then?
    > 'Cos being a cycling forum, it isn't unusual that we are bike-tolerant.
    >
    > Does this mean to say that when I don my celeste tutu and wield a paving
    slab,
    > I'm unusual?? ;-)

    ..... but is that a "bib tutu" ????

    Rob Tall Bloke

    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &
    > fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**[email protected]$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    RG wrote:

    > Rob Tall Bloke

    What have I ever done to you? Why do you want to rob me?

    Tony

  9. SamB76

    SamB76 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2004
    Thanks for all your advice - I've got a much better idea of what's involved now - I'm really happy to read that there are other moulton enthusiasts on this forum.

    Just to clear something up - I meant unusual bikes, not people! Although I don't consider my bikes unusual, I'm constantly reminded of what other people think!

    Just one last question - does anyone know a source for those deep section 17" HED wheels all the Japanese moultons seem to have?

  10. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    "SamB76" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for all your advice - I've got a much better idea of what's involved now - I'm really happy
    > to read that there are other moulton enthusiasts on this forum.
    >
    > Just to clear something up - I meant unusual bikes, not people! Although I don't consider my bikes
    > unusual, I'm constantly reminded of what other people think!
    >
    > Just one last question - does anyone know a source for those deep section 17" HED wheels all the
    > Japanese moultons seem to have?

    If you really want to get into Moultons, I suggest you join

    where a question like this will likely produce a torrent of replies!