Advice on my first 'real' road bike please!

Road bikes: Trek vs. Giant

  • Trek 1500

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giant OCR

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters

Weezerbot

New Member
Aug 19, 2003
I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing. I was hopping around the internet when I stumbled onto this site and thought who better to ask than fellow bikers from around the world. The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm getting it from my trustworthy LBD, but while I was there I noticed that about 90% of the bikes in their shop happened to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a Trek over a Giant or Cannondale, and Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold me. I returned home to research some more and found what could be the real reason...the LBD Team is fully sponsored by Trek/VW (check out the Landis Team on the Trek site). Now I know these guys and they have helped me a lot over the past years, but it really has my mind twirlling about this 1500. To finally end this story, before I go in tomorrow to not only get measured, fitted, and ordered, but also lay down my hard earned cash, I would like some opinions. I know there are hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest opinions would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone can suggest a better bike in this price range that would be great too!!

> The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500.

Why get a 2004 model? Around this time of year you can usually pick up a 2003 model higher in the
range for the same money. The differences between
2003/2004 models are mostly cosmetic and sales blablabla.

"Weezerbot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the
> past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing. I was hopping
> around the internet when I stumbled onto this site and thought who better to ask than fellow
> bikers from around the world. The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm getting it
> from my trustworthy LBD, but while I was there I noticed that about 90% of the bikes in their shop
> happened to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a Trek over a Giant or Cannondale, and
> Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold
> me. I returned home to research some more and found what could be the real reason...the LBD Team
> is fully sponsored by Trek/VW (check out the Landis Team on the Trek site). Now I know these
> guys and they have helped me a lot over the past years, but it really has my mind twirlling
> about this 1500. To finally end this story, before I go in tomorrow to not only get measured,
> fitted, and ordered, but also lay down my hard earned cash, I would like some opinions. I know
> there are hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest opinions would be
> appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone can suggest a better
> bike in this price range that would be great too!!

There is no "better bike". Trek, Giant, Cannondale all make good products. The best answer is
which bike fits best and feels best. It's your butt that's gonna be sitting in the saddle, not
your LBS or Lance.

I agree, go for a 2003. And be sure to get a red bike, it's well known fact that red bicycles go
faster :)

my .02?

"Ronald" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
[email protected]...
> > The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500.
>
> Why get a 2004 model? Around this time of year you can usually pick up a 2003 model higher in the
> range for the same money. The differences between
> 2003/2004 models are mostly cosmetic and sales blablabla.
>

> "Weezerbot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the
> > past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing. I was
> > hopping around the internet when I stumbled onto this site and thought who better to ask than
> > fellow bikers from around the world. The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm
> > getting it from my trustworthy LBD, but while I was there I noticed that about 90% of the bikes
> > in their shop happened to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a Trek over a Giant or
> > Cannondale, and Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold
> > me. I returned home to research some more and found what could be the real reason...the LBD Team
> > is fully sponsored by Trek/VW (check out the Landis Team on the Trek site). Now I know these
> > guys and they have helped me a lot over the past years, but it really has my mind twirlling
> > about this 1500. To finally end this story, before I go in tomorrow to not only get
> > measured, fitted, and ordered, but also lay down my hard earned cash, I would like some
> > opinions. I know there are hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest
> > opinions would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone
> > can suggest a better bike in this price range that would be great too!!
> >

> > --

The second most important factor in choosing a bike is the color. Needless to say, color is not
important. So what is the first?

fit.

make sure the bike fits you. that why you go to your local shop and get a bike that fits...
and fits you.

-Bruce

"Weezerbot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the
> past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing. I was hopping
> around the internet when I stumbled onto this site and thought who better to ask than fellow
> bikers from around the world. The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm getting it
> from my trustworthy LBD, but while I was there I noticed that about 90% of the bikes in their shop
> happened to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a Trek over a Giant or Cannondale, and
> Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold
> me. I returned home to research some more and found what could be the real reason...the LBD Team
> is fully sponsored by Trek/VW (check out the Landis Team on the Trek site). Now I know these
> guys and they have helped me a lot over the past years, but it really has my mind twirlling
> about this 1500. To finally end this story, before I go in tomorrow to not only get measured,
> fitted, and ordered, but also lay down my hard earned cash, I would like some opinions. I know
> there are hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest opinions would be
> appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone can suggest a better
> bike in this price range that would be great too!!

You're straining at differences less than the difference between GM and Ford. Get a bike that
fits and ride!

"Weezerbot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To finally end this story, before I go in tomorrow to not only get measured, fitted, and ordered,
> but also lay down my hard earned cash, I would like some opinions. I know there are hardcore fans
> of either company out there, but some honest opinions would be appreciated.

weezerbot-<< I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike
>><BR><BR>
lots snipped- << I know there are hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest
opinions would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone can
suggest a better bike in this price range that would be great too!! >><BR><BR>

Easy one, get the one that fits ya...determined by a real fit, with a real fit person. Not a
'standover, ride around the parking lot' type fit. It's pretty hard to get a'bad' bike these days,
but it is easy to get a 'bad fitting' one.

Weezerbot <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the
> past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing.

Hi, as others have mentioned, fit is number one in importance, after that it is mostly personal
preference. I do think it would be worth finding out what the dealer has in 2003's. If he sells
Trek, then he most likely carries LeMond and Klein, both are made by Trek. Some things to consider,
are that you can always upgrade components, but not the frame. So if your choice is between better
components or a better frame, choose the frame. My LBS allows test rides and if you get it down to a
couple of bikes, ride them. Have them base the seat height on your current setup, set the same way
on both bikes. I just took a look at the 1500, it is a nice bike. The one bike I would ask your
dealer about, is what he has in a 2003 or 2002 LeMond. You mightr be able to get a Buenos Aires for
your money. The LeMond is a steel frame, which may give you a more comfy ride. That is debatable and
the only way to know for sure is to ride both. I am biased towards the LeMonds, because I just
recently bought a new 2002 Tourmalet, which has the same frame as the higher end Buenos Aires.
Bottom line, buy the bike that fits correctly and that makes you want to ride. Life is Good! Jeff

I was hopping around the
> internet when I stumbled onto this site and thought who better to ask than fellow bikers from
> around the world. The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm getting it from my
> trustworthy LBD, but while I was there I noticed that about 90% of the bikes in their shop
> happened to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a Trek over a Giant or Cannondale, and
> Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold
> me. I returned home to research some more and found what could be the real reason...the LBD Team
> is fully sponsored by Trek/VW (check out the Landis Team on the Trek site). Now I know these
> guys and they have helped me a lot over the past years, but it really has my mind twirlling
> about this 1500. To finally end this story, before I go in tomorrow to not only get measured,
> fitted, and ordered, but also lay down my hard earned cash, I would like some opinions. I know
> there are hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest opinions would be
> appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone can suggest a better
> bike in this price range that would be great too!!

>. The one bike I would ask your dealer about, is what he has in a 2003 or 2002 LeMond. You mightr
> be able to get a Buenos Aires for your money.

Definitely worth looking into.

> a Buenos Aires for your money. The LeMond is a steel frame, which may give you a more comfy ride.

Definitely will.

> That is debatable and the only way to know for sure is to ride both.

No debate in my mind but there are a lot of great bikes in your price range. For $1200 you can get a
steel frame Jamis Quest that is far better riding than any aluminum at that price. Remember, for a
while aluminum was more exclusive and came on "better" bikes but now aluminum is cheap (low end
treks, specializeds, etc) while quality steel Reynolds 853 and such is exclusive now and signifies a
quality bike. I own a Buenos Aires and would not ever think of riding an aluminum frame. My bike may
be a few ounces heavier than a Cannondale with comparable components but I still can ride only
limited by my abilities not the bike's. Main thing is find something that grabs you and it will be a
great bike to you.

Already some of the 04 specs for the Lemonds are out. Zurich is a 853/OCLV, the 'cross bike is 853,
but so far everything else is aluminum in a *gasp* compact geometry.

-kurd

"Jkpoulos7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >. The one bike I would ask your dealer about, is what he has in a 2003 or 2002 LeMond. You mightr
> > be able to get a Buenos Aires for your money.
>
> Definitely worth looking into.
>
> > a Buenos Aires for your money. The LeMond is a steel frame, which may give you a more
> > comfy ride.
>
> Definitely will.
>

> > That is debatable and the only way to know for sure is to ride both.
>
> No debate in my mind but there are a lot of great bikes in your price
range.
> For $1200 you can get a steel frame Jamis Quest that is far better riding
than
> any aluminum at that price. Remember, for a while aluminum was more
exclusive
> and came on "better" bikes but now aluminum is cheap (low end treks, specializeds, etc) while
> quality steel Reynolds 853 and such is exclusive
now
> and signifies a quality bike. I own a Buenos Aires and would not ever
think of
> riding an aluminum frame. My bike may be a few ounces heavier than a
Cannondale
> with comparable components but I still can ride only limited by my
abilities
> not the bike's. Main thing is find something that grabs you and it will
be a
> great bike to you.

Go test ride a Lemond. You can get a lot of bang for your buck and a great ride on steel for
around $1000. It has a little different frame geometry than the Trek, more comfortable in longer
rides, but you will have to be the judge of that. They make great frames/bikes. (owned by Trek)
Steel vs. Aluminun.

On 20 Aug 2003 13:43:24 +0950, Weezerbot <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the
>past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing.

If you think tomorrow is the real thing, you are never going to be satisfied, not matter what you
buy. Think about it. It is not about what some marketing person in Major Corporation decided you
should like, what someone else thinks about what you are riding, whether you have the latest
fa$hion $tatement, the most absurd wheel$ or who's logo is on your jer$ey, it is about riding your
bike. Isn't it?

regards, -- Jan

Jan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 20 Aug 2003 13:43:24 +0950, Weezerbot <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the
> >past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing.

> If you think tomorrow is the real thing, you are never going to be satisfied, not matter what
> you buy.

I don't believe that. He is [hopefully] going to get a bike that properly fits him, with modern day
components, why wouldn't he find that satisfying.

> Think about it. It is not about what some marketing person in Major Corporation decided you should
> like, what someone else thinks about what you are riding, whether you have the latest fa$hion
> $tatement, the most absurd wheel$ or who's logo is on your jer$ey,

He is isn't looking at top of line prestige bikes, a $1000 is a reasonable amount to spend on a
bike, in this day and time.

>it is about riding your bike. Isn't it?
Well of course it is. And for a lot of people, myself included, having a nicely equiped bike, makes
me want to ride, even more. Since I got my new bike, I have increased my distances and due to the
better equipment, I have improved my times. Their seems to be a small faction of the biking
community that thinks that if you are also into the equipment, somehow you aren't serious about
riding. This attitude of just get any old bike, as long as it fits, and ride, dismisses another
aspect of the hobby [way of life]. I always wonder what the people who feel this way ride. In
another thread, a poster linked to pictures of his customized Paramount. It was beautiful, modern
components, custom paint, it just screams, ride me! I look at some of the bikes at my LBS, over my
budget, the Felt Fifteen, the Trek 5500, or the LeMond Arrivee and I would buy one immediately, if I
could afford it. Would it make me a better rider, maybe a little, better equipment will do that. The
point is, that it would make me happy and inspire me to ride even more. Heck, my new 2002 LeMond
Tourmalet, inspires me. I see it on the bike rack, on the back of my car, and I just want to ride
it. When I got back into biking, last year, I put new tubes, tires, and a saddle on my then 26 year
old French 10-speed and rode it all summer. This spring, I had a lot of the components upgraded. I
still have and love that bike, but it is the LeMond that I always choose to ride. so, I think it is
about riding, it is also about having a bike that inspires and makes you happy. By the way Jan, what
do you ride? Life is Good!, Jeff

> regards, -- Jan

On 20 Aug 2003 13:43:24 +0950, Weezerbot <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I

Congrats!

> the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm getting it from my trustworthy LBD, but while I was there I noticed that
> about 90% of the bikes in their shop happened to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a
> Trek over a Giant or Cannondale, and Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold

My LBS sells mostly Treks and has an employee named Brian. Hmm. Naw, they don't have a
team. Anyway...

You said trustworthy. While their reasons for selling Treks may not all be as objective as you'd
like, a trustworthy shop wouldn't sell you a bad bike. However, because they're not objective, they
may not try hard to sell you the best bike you can buy.

I wasn't interested in Trek when I was ready to drop $1000 on a road bike, so I bought the bike
elsewhere. I felt bad about it, because they always take care of me so well' but if they don't have
the product I want, then what good is it to give them my money for something I didn't want?

I never bothered to build a relationship at the store where I bought my road bike. I bring it to the
same LBS I've always gone to, and they still take care of me well.

> would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone can suggest a
> better bike in this price range that would be great too!!

I bought a Giant TCR2 instead of a Trek 1500. The shop where I bought it was more interested in
getting rid of old inventory (it was a "last year's model special") than fitting me, so I had a bit
of a time fitting myself, exacerbated by the fact that I bought the bike at the end of the season
when I was strong and flexible from riding, and barely rode it until after a LONG winter; I couldn't
even get into position on it after that winter.

All in all, I'm happy with what I did and where I am now. You will get a great bike whether you buy
the Trek 1500 from your favorite shop or the Giant OCR somewhere else.

I'd say that, as a choice-maker and a tie-breaker, buy the bike that excites you more; my brightly
colored, sleek Giant hanging on the wall calls to me and makes me want to ride. If I had bought the
boring Trek, which I wasn't too excited about visually or test-ride-wise, then I probably wouldn't
ride half as much. If the Trek is exciting for you, buy it.

--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:53:43 +0200, trg <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree, go for a 2003. And be sure to get a red bike, it's well known fact that red bicycles go
> faster :)

Bring it on! My yellow will outrun your red anyday!

Especially when I put a "Type R" sticker on it!!!

<G>

--
Rick Onanian

Nothing wrong with yellow. I use it myself for descents. But red rules for rolling!

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:53:43 +0200, trg <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I agree, go for a 2003. And be sure to get a red bike, it's well known fact that red bicycles go
> > faster :)
>
> Bring it on! My yellow will outrun your red anyday!
>
> Especially when I put a "Type R" sticker on it!!!
>
> <G>
>
> > my .02?
> --
> Rick Onanian

---

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:06:16 +0200, trg <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nothing wrong with yellow. I use it myself for descents. But red rules for rolling!

How about a big, 8" coffee can exhaust tip?

Oh, wait, we're talking about bicycles.

--
Rick Onanian

On 20 Aug 2003 10:13:45 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote:

>Jan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 20 Aug 2003 13:43:24 +0950, Weezerbot <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I have had used bikes in the
>> >past that didn't quite fit right or were old technology. Tomorrow is the real thing.
>
>> If you think tomorrow is the real thing, you are never going to be satisfied, not matter what
>> you buy.
>
>I don't believe that. He is [hopefully] going to get a bike that properly fits him, with modern day
>components, why wouldn't he find that satisfying.

I was making a connection between the two phrases "old technology" and "tomorrow is the real thing".
So "tomorrw.." translates into chasing fads and technology for the sake of fads and technology.
Perhaps I missed his point in making that connection. Perhaps my comments make more sense to you now
that you know where I was coming from?

Instead of arguing a bunch of suggestions about attitudes that you seem to suggest I have (I don't),
I am going to delete them and cut to your last question.

>By the way Jan, what do you ride?

My main ride is a Rivendell Road.

>Life is Good!,

You got that right!

regards, -- Jan

I think what our esteemed fellow cyclist wants is our view on the differences in frame materials and
componentry.

I'm also looking for a new machine but am not considering anything with less than Shimano 105
componentry on it. That's make my next bike a Giant TCR or similar.

If your bike has c'fibre in it, then apparently the ride is not as harsh as steel or aluminium. I
have no idea about how quick it fatigues tho.

Alien 1980 Malvern Star BMX 1985 Raleigh Yukon 1990 Dodsun Triaction 1992 Giant Kronos 1999
Giant ATX 850

> weezerbot-<< I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road
bike
> >><BR><BR>
> lots snipped- << I know there are hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest
> opinions would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR. Or if anyone can
> suggest a better bike in this price range that would be great too!! >><BR><BR>
>
> Easy one, get the one that fits ya...determined by a real fit, with a real
fit
> person. Not a 'standover, ride around the parking lot' type fit. It's
pretty
> hard to get a'bad' bike these days, but it is easy to get a 'bad fitting'
one.

jkpoulos-<< I own a Buenos Aires and would not ever think of riding an aluminum frame. My bike may
be a few ounces heavier than a Cannondale with comparable components >><BR><BR>

It's heavy cuz of those boat anchor heavy shimano stuff on it....

spamski-<< I bought a Giant TCR2 instead of a Trek 1500. The shop where I bought it was more
interested in getting rid of old inventory (it was a "last year's model special") than fitting me,
so I had a bit of a time fitting myself, >><BR><BR>

Do you buy shoes that don't fit that are on closeout?? Then put tissue paper in the toes to
make then fit?