Michael15 said:Hello everyone! I'm a new to the forum and would like to ask for some advice. I have been riding very casually for a few years and have recently have really picked up my riding time and distance. Currently I ride about 70-90miles a week and am starting to train for a century coming in October out here in SoCal. I have a 7yr old Specialized Ruby Pro w/Dura Ace. I really like the bike but am starting to get the itch to upgrade my ride. I've been doing some research online, looking at some bike shops and asking some friends their opinions. I've saved enough $$ and have narrowed it down to a few bikes:
Cervelo R3...not sure on components
Pinarello FP7...again not sure on my components
Thoughts? I want a bike that will be stiff and comfy as my 47yr old bones would crack with a pure race bike.
I think you've picked two pretty nice frames that should suit pretty much whatever you want to do beyond the centuries (double?!). It will be hard to go wrong. I've ridden the R3 and the Prince (same geometry as the FP7) and aside from some of the design flourishes of the Pinarello fork and chainstays it's a pretty solid machine. The Cervelo might seem a tad less resilient when you compare it to other carbon rides but it is solid where you need it (i.e. on the road, at speed etc.).
With that said you should get a good shop to set the bikes up just like your Specialized (bring it with you) and ride them around the neighborhood. This is a big purchase so don't feel any pressure. Just see which one seems to agree with your sensibilities and trust them!
As far as components are concerned I personally don't see any reason to ride anything but Dura Ace. It's light, durable and reliable. To save coin Ultegra is just as durable and reliable but I just can't let myself give up the grams...Hope this helps and good luck.