Advice on new bike for road and light trails

JayEIndiana

May 8, 2011
I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. I am considering buying a bike to be used primarily for exercise. I am 61 and for several years have been walking at a local park, very boring. Recently I have decided to get a bike and to try that as hopefully a more enjoyable way to keep up my exercise routine. The majority of my riding woudl be on paved roads, However, I have a small farm that is 7 miles away and would probalby ride to there an back once or twice a week and while there ride around the fields to check on everything. The only other riding might be some mild trails at a nearby state park. I stopped in at the LBS and the salesman recommeded either a Giant Escape 1 ($400) or Giant Cypress ST ($290). I like the feel of the Cypress ST the best. Would both of these be good choices? The price range is what I was looking to spend. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. JayE

Hi Jay and welcome!

Here's a link to a site that lists the MSRP and specifications of most bikes, and it looks like your bike shop is selling for a little less then the MSRP:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bikes.aspx?Year=2011&Brand=Giant

Just click on the model and you can see the details.

The Escape is equiped better than the Cypress, but they are both on the low end of the entry level bikes that Giant offers.

Have you checked around to see if there are any gently used bikes of the type and size you want for sale in your area? Sometimes you can get twice the bike for about half the price if you don't mind a bike that's a couple of years old....

64Paramount, thanks for the link. It'll be helpful as I continue my search. I have been watching for something used, however I know so very little I'm along ways form being able to make a good decision on my own. I don't have t to buy something right away though , so I'll continue to search. Thanks for your input. Jay