Advice on new bike purchase

luism

Sep 9, 2012
i am 5` 11". pants are 30-32" seam. (leg hieght). I was told either a medium or medium large. 54" or 56" bike. I am looking at 2 main but anothers caught my eye.

Cannondale caad10
giant tcr 1

others
specialized allez.
loius gaurneau.
norco has one but caint recall name right now.

i believe the giant is one of the better ones but going carbon frame for new rider better option for long run?
even though i heard it be lower quality carbon vs the most expensive ones it helps with more flex and taking up the road vibrations better?

luis

Carbon fiber does not necessarily reduce vibrations or improve comfort. Vibration reduction and comfort are functions of frame geometry, frame construction, frame design, rider fit, tire size, and tire inflation pressure (among other things). Neither bike, the TCR or the CAAD, is inherently better. You need to test ride both and then buy the one that fits best, rides best, appeals to you, and doesn't kill your wallet.

true when u get into the better quality carbon it be more stiff. but what i was told by a sales guy was the lower type norco that is not so stiff that it takes a bit out of the road. if you had choice in regards to those bikes previous which do you think is equiped better than the other and is a better bike overall?

I can't say which is best overall since I've pedaled neither. Fit and ride quality are vastly more important than anything else.

Get a "pre-fit" before buying a bike. Last thing you want is one too small or too large. I'm 5'11" and ride a 56cm. I once rode a 54cm and it was way too small.

Oh to meantion if it matters i weight in at 212-220lbs. would anything be a consideration to look at on the bike?

Originally Posted by luism .

Oh to meantion if it matters i weight in at 212-220lbs. would anything be a consideration to look at on the bike?
The real advantage of using carbon fiber when building a bicycle... is the weight saving. The four or five pounds you shave off the weight of the bicycle can make a big difference when cycling competitively (every gram can count). And of course... that weight saving comes at a price.

Please don't take this wrong. But it would appear that you could shave an easy forty or even fifty pounds off your bicycle... just by reducing rider weight. Many of us here... me included... have or continue to use cycling for weight loss/control. Cycling (with dieting) is really, really good for that.

No, you will be fine. Weight really does not become a big factor until you start approaching 300. Right now, the only thing that you might want to avoid is wheels with a crazy low spoke count, but any good quality wheel like the ones that come on the bikes that you mentioned should be OK for your weight at spoke counts of 22 or more. A fitting is usually $100 - $120 in my area. You can often get the LBS to throw one in for free if you are going to buy your bike from them.

yeah , i agree with you , The real advantage of using carbon fiber when building a bicycle... is the weight saving. The four or five pounds you shave off the weight of the bicycle can make a big difference when cycling competitively. thanks for your sharing.
18.jpg
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by luism .

if you had choice in regards to those bikes previous which do you think is equiped better than the other and is a better bike overall?
I have and older model TCR and a CAAD10. The two bikes have different geometries. Even though the bikes have been fitted on me they do "feel" different.

Like what old-n-slow said, get a pre-fit, test ride one or the other (better if your LBS will let you test both, and much better if you can do it on the road) and make your decision. Both bikes are good, and offer 105/Ultegra compenentry. In the end, choose the bike that "feels" right and is comfortable to ride.

... going carbon frame for new rider better option for long run?
Carbon fiber is the "in" thing these days. But if you're not into racing or competitive cycling, I believe that your money will be better spent somewhere else - a wheel upgrade perhaps?