Advice on New Computer

Max Phillips

May 9, 2006
I'm looking for some input on various cyclometers you've used. I'd like something that has all the basics like average speed, cadence, and such, along with an integrated heart rate monitor that can do max, and average.

If anyone here has negative feelings towards the integrated heart rate monitors/cyclometers let me know about that as well. Any advice or user preferences and experiences are appreciated.

Hello,

I think its nice to have an independent Heart R. Monitor, which you can use for winter training or whenever you are not cycling.

Regards

impakt said:
Go with a Polar CS100. Best on the market

Doesn't have cadence does it? I would never recomend a cycle compter without cadence.

I have also seen the mounts on them break. They are a bit on the flimsy side.

Max Phillips said:
I'm looking for some input on various cyclometers you've used. I'd like something that has all the basics like average speed, cadence, and such, along with an integrated heart rate monitor that can do max, and average.

If anyone here has negative feelings towards the integrated heart rate monitors/cyclometers let me know about that as well. Any advice or user preferences and experiences are appreciated.
The Polar CS range are nice...but check out the iBike Pro for something a little more effective in training.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed with my CS200cad Polar. I think it works well, in terms of accuracy of HR, speed, cadence, distance etc. But, a few things are disappointing.

First, the buttons are a little hard to press when riding with my computer mounted on the stem (with ties), as pressing sometimes just moves the computer but doesn't always depress the buttons and as a result you tend to have press multiple times to get a response. Second, the buttons are not as intuitive as some computers. THe backlight sucks !

But, what really is disappointing for a computer of this price point is that is doesn't track continuous data of HR, speed, cadence when you upload to the weblink. Either it gives average and max values for the entire ride, or for each lap rather than instantaneous values like other Polar systems or other computers (e.g. Garmin etc.) Plus, you are limited to 50 laps per exercise and only 7 exercise files.

have you considered a lower cost power meter? still the best way to go. I would go used Powertap over any new Polar, if you can swing the gap.

Fabio

Walrus said:
The Polar CS range are nice...but check out the iBike Pro for something a little more effective in training.

Do you have personal experience with the iBike? I have heard mixed reviews on its accuracy for power measurements and would be interested in your personal experience, particularly if you have direct comparisons to PT, SRM, or other meter data.

I use the Polar S720i. You can download the workout files to your computer and it automatically updates your cycling diary/calendar. It has the usual features: altitude, cadence, heart rate, speed, trip, temp, calories used, etc. It works well and the menus on the watch are pretty intuitive. Also, since it's a watch you can use it while doing other cross-training. My favorite features on it are the workout programs for interval training, and the fact that you can program up to 5 different workouts on it. Negatives are: you need to set it up properly from the beginning - installing the polar software and the usb infrared device can be tricky. Also, since it's basically a watch, you need to mount it on something. (I use a velcro strap which doubles as both a watchstrap and usable on the holder/mount). All in all, a pretty good value, and it's been invaluable for my training.

I have looked at and used several different computers. For the last few years, I have used a Polar S710. The 710 is great when it comes to downloading and reviewing your workout. The downside is that it is somewhat difficult to learn to use--like programming an old time VCR. The watchface is so small that it it hard to see some of the data as you ride--the top line often is shadowed by the top of the watchface. Another problem is that to get through all the choices you have to learn how to toggle through a bunch of stuff to get to what you watch. It is learnable and doable but not necessarily easy until you get fluent. You can change what data you see so that mitigates the problem. The power unit doubles the price and I could not mount it on my bike. I also have had problems with the chest transmitter

Last year I switched over to a Garmin Edge 305. This is an excellent computer but for one glaring problem--the battery runs out after 7 to 8 hours, if your are lucky. Therefore, you have to haul along a battery recharger (like a battery powered phone recharger) to keep the unit charged on long rides. Good luck on a double century or any brevet. You have to recharge the battery every time you use it. If you are doing shorter rides and can recharge the battery, I would give this computer a high recommendation. It is precise, has screen which is extremely customizable. Among many things, it has excellent altitude and gradient readouts, among many possibles. The one area that Polar S series has over this unit is the software analysis of your ride i.e. the Polar graphs are easier to read. All in all, I would take the Garmin over the Polar in a heartbeat.

If I wanted to save a few bucks, I would look at a CATEYE HR200DW Heart Rate Monitor
CATEYE HR200DW Heart Rate Monitor
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=34224&S=35023,29730,29731,29732,36906,40911,34224
with this unit you give up cadence.

Or with cadence but no heart rate monitor CATEYE CD300DW Computer for a few buck less:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=35023&S=35023,29730,29731,29732,36906,40911,34224

I have no idea as to whether the Cateye units offer any readout analysis and/or software but CatEye units work very well, generally speaking. I have used a CatEye Wireless and it works very well for what it does.

A friend who is very interested in altitude data bought a [size=-2]VDO MC1.0 Altimeter Computer:[/size]
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=30607&S=36723,30607

I now engage in complete overkill with both a Garmin Edge 305 and a PowerTap computer mounted on my handlebars. The Garmin is customizable and I can put the data up on that screen that will not be on the PowerTap.

Creek

Max Phillips said:

Max Phillips said:

Personally, I've had great experience with my Sigma products. Their customer service is excellent; above expectation. A simple email will be all you need to get action. Their new models of computers/HR Monitors are nice. The newer models have a backup power supply which holds your data when changing batteries. They also have a "battery low" indicator. Any questions let me know. I currently have the 1606 wireless with Cadence. Traded in my 1200 for that.

kspangler said:
Personally, I've had great experience with my Sigma products. Their customer service is excellent; above expectation. A simple email will be all you need to get action. Their new models of computers/HR Monitors are nice. The newer models have a backup power supply which holds your data when changing batteries. They also have a "battery low" indicator. Any questions let me know. I currently have the 1606 wireless with Cadence. Traded in my 1200 for that.

It's been a few months since you posted this. Do you still like the Sigma 1606? I'm shopping around and the features look good for my needs and the wireless sensor looks great too.

I had a Specialized (Elite?) wireless speedometer with wired cadence. The wireless speedometer started failing when I added a Polar HRM to my equipment. I also had the connection on the cadence break twice. It had a very small connector that would loose the connection from road vibration and then was too fragile for reconnecting while riding.

I'm thinking of getting either the Sigma 1606L w/cadence or the Mavic WintechES, but with the Sigma being almost half the cost, it may be a no-brainer. Any more feedback on either would be appreciated.