Advice on new helmet purchase.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by bfra1, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. bfra1

    bfra1 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or recommendations.

    Currently my decision is based on appearance of the helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a decision on something will will be on my head for long periods.

    Any feedback would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Someone Else

    Someone Else Guest

    "bfra1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly
    > the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any
    > feedback or recommendations.
    >
    > Currently my decision is based on appearance of the
    > helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a
    > decision on something will will be on my head for long
    > periods.
    >
    > Any feedback would be appreciated.

    http://www.roadbikereview.com/Helmets/PLS_1636_770crx.aspx

  3. wassupdawg

    wassupdawg New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    i have found the 'breathability' or how well it keeps (if thats the right word!) your head cool makes a huge difference.

    havent tried a Met Ippo but they certainly look like they have ample holes

    speaking of looks, when is someone going to come out with a helmet system on which you can change the shell/cover so you can colour-coordinate it to your jersey or bike?
    (like you can with those 'smart-cars' by changing panels)

  4. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    The short answer is that I recommend MET Ippgrifo.

    I started using a MET Badboy in 2001. The reason was owning an in-mould helmet at an affordable price ($100). Still it's going great. Fit, feel, durability and all. However, being a low end, it does not have enough holes for ventilation. This caused a lot of perspiration. It took me some time to find the source of all that sweat (including sting in eyes). This summer I bought a new Ippogrifo. It's not just the shear no. of holes, but the design is aimed for them to act like little scoops. Very effective indeed. If you're after a good balance between function, price and looks, then this is a winner. My excessive topical (!) perspiration problem is long gone. I'm planning to use the Badboy for winter. I left a review on Ippogrifo on cyclingforums.com.

    Cheers,
    Amir.

  5. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    bfra1 wrote:
    > I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly
    > the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any
    > feedback or recommendations.
    >
    > Currently my decision is based on appearance of the
    > helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a
    > decision on something will will be on my head for long
    > periods.
    >
    > Any feedback would be appreciated.

    I bought a Met because of their crash replacement policy,
    under which a helmet broken in a bike accident within 3 yrs
    of purchase can be replaced at reduced cost. When I broke
    mine recently, I only had to pay $60 instead of $110 to get
    it replaced (and I got the newer model of equivalent value,
    my original model having since become superseded).

    HTH,

    &roo

  6. bfra1

    bfra1 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    I agree wassupdawg, how hard would it be to make the top panel interchangeable. At the moment you need to buy a helmet that will be OK with various outfits. Surely there would be a stack of aftermarket $$$ for the add on panels.

  7. Nick

    Nick Guest

    bfra1 wrote:
    > I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly
    > the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any
    > feedback or recommendations.
    >
    > Currently my decision is based on appearance of the
    > helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a
    > decision on something will will be on my head for long
    > periods.
    >
    > Any feedback would be appreciated.
    >

    > --

    I've had a Met Ippogrifo for a few years now and it's
    excellent.

    I chose it for the number of vents and the fit.

    If I needed a new helmet, I'd get another Ippogrifo without
    hesitation. (unless I could justify the extra for the
    Stradivarius :)

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

  8. Drs

    Drs Guest

    bfra1 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]
    > I agree wassupdawg, how hard would it be to make the top
    > panel interchangeable. At the moment you need to buy a
    > helmet that will be OK with various outfits. Surely there
    > would be a stack of aftermarket $$$ for the add on panels.

    Basic black goes with anything.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  9. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004