Advice on new helmet purchase.

bfra1

New Member
Nov 24, 2003
I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or recommendations.

Currently my decision is based on appearance of the helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a decision on something will will be on my head for long periods.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

"bfra1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly
> the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any
> feedback or recommendations.
>
> Currently my decision is based on appearance of the
> helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a
> decision on something will will be on my head for long
> periods.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Helmets/PLS_1636_770crx.aspx

i have found the 'breathability' or how well it keeps (if thats the right word!) your head cool makes a huge difference.

havent tried a Met Ippo but they certainly look like they have ample holes

speaking of looks, when is someone going to come out with a helmet system on which you can change the shell/cover so you can colour-coordinate it to your jersey or bike?
(like you can with those 'smart-cars' by changing panels)

Originally posted by bfra1
I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any feedback or recommendations.

Currently my decision is based on appearance of the helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a decision on something will will be on my head for long periods.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The short answer is that I recommend MET Ippgrifo.

I started using a MET Badboy in 2001. The reason was owning an in-mould helmet at an affordable price ($100). Still it's going great. Fit, feel, durability and all. However, being a low end, it does not have enough holes for ventilation. This caused a lot of perspiration. It took me some time to find the source of all that sweat (including sting in eyes). This summer I bought a new Ippogrifo. It's not just the shear no. of holes, but the design is aimed for them to act like little scoops. Very effective indeed. If you're after a good balance between function, price and looks, then this is a winner. My excessive topical (!) perspiration problem is long gone. I'm planning to use the Badboy for winter. I left a review on Ippogrifo on cyclingforums.com.

Cheers,
Amir.

bfra1 wrote:
> I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly
> the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any
> feedback or recommendations.
>
> Currently my decision is based on appearance of the
> helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a
> decision on something will will be on my head for long
> periods.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.

I bought a Met because of their crash replacement policy,
under which a helmet broken in a bike accident within 3 yrs
of purchase can be replaced at reduced cost. When I broke
mine recently, I only had to pay $60 instead of $110 to get
it replaced (and I got the newer model of equivalent value,
my original model having since become superseded).

HTH,

&roo

I agree wassupdawg, how hard would it be to make the top panel interchangeable. At the moment you need to buy a helmet that will be OK with various outfits. Surely there would be a stack of aftermarket $$$ for the add on panels.

bfra1 wrote:
> I'm looking at buying a new helmet (road riding), possibly
> the Met Ippogriffo and was wondering if anyone has any
> feedback or recommendations.
>
> Currently my decision is based on appearance of the
> helmet, and this probably isn't the best way to base a
> decision on something will will be on my head for long
> periods.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>

> --

I've had a Met Ippogrifo for a few years now and it's
excellent.

I chose it for the number of vents and the fit.

If I needed a new helmet, I'd get another Ippogrifo without
hesitation. (unless I could justify the extra for the
Stradivarius :)

Cheers.
--
Nick

bfra1 <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> I agree wassupdawg, how hard would it be to make the top
> panel interchangeable. At the moment you need to buy a
> helmet that will be OK with various outfits. Surely there
> would be a stack of aftermarket $$$ for the add on panels.

Basic black goes with anything.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?