Advice on new roadbike, geometry & comfort

Endorphin

Sep 28, 2004
I've been riding a mountain bike for years and want advice what to get for my first roadbike. I've tried several. My favorite by far: Specialized Roubaix (27). The main issue for me is the geometry: the Roubaix just feels much better. It has a slightly more upright posture that I like and haven't found in any of the cheaper bikes around $800. I'm in good shape (at 48) but not a racer and don't care about tiny bits of weight or 105 vs ultegra etc. As long as it works and feels right. I do ride pretty hard (on my mtn bike). The main issue for me is comfort on rides of 15+ miles and the feeling of body and machine working together smoothly.

The Roubaix 04 is about $1400; the 05 about $1500. I don't want to pay more than that; the question is whether I can get away with less, but similar geometry. I'd love to hear someone tell me that I can't. That would make the decision easy.

Endorphin said:
I've been riding a mountain bike for years and want advice what to get for my first roadbike. I've tried several. My favorite by far: Specialized Roubaix (27). The main issue for me is the geometry: the Roubaix just feels much better. It has a slightly more upright posture that I like and haven't found in any of the cheaper bikes around $800. I'm in good shape (at 48) but not a racer and don't care about tiny bits of weight or 105 vs ultegra etc. As long as it works and feels right. I do ride pretty hard (on my mtn bike). The main issue for me is comfort on rides of 15+ miles and the feeling of body and machine working together smoothly.

The Roubaix 04 is about $1400; the 05 about $1500. I don't want to pay more than that; the question is whether I can get away with less, but similar geometry. I'd love to hear someone tell me that I can't. That would make the decision easy.
Be sure and try the Specialized Sequoia Elite - an incredibly comfortable yet fast bike. That was my first road bike, and I have since upgraded to a Roubaix which is not quite as comfortable as the Sequoia, but more comfortable than any in its class.

BTW, I liked the Sequoia so much, I am keeping it also.

skydive69 said:
Be sure and try the Specialized Sequoia Elite - an incredibly comfortable yet fast bike. That was my first road bike, and I have since upgraded to a Roubaix which is not quite as comfortable as the Sequoia, but more comfortable than any in its class.

BTW, I liked the Sequoia so much, I am keeping it also.

Thanks. I tried a Sequoia (not Elite-- but I assume the frame geometry is the same----??). A nice bike. It is my runner-up. It is more upright than Roubaix and maybe better on the back in the short run--- but not as efficient a body position for longer rides? Or so it seemed. Hard to tell actually.

Endorphin said:
Thanks. I tried a Sequoia (not Elite-- but I assume the frame geometry is the same----??). A nice bike. It is my runner-up. It is more upright than Roubaix and maybe better on the back in the short run--- but not as efficient a body position for longer rides? Or so it seemed. Hard to tell actually.
Well, you can change things around a bit with different stems.

Endorphin said:
From day one my Sequoia was so comfortable, I felt that I could ride it endlessly. To make my Roubaix a bit more comfortable, I shortned the stem from the 120 mm stock to a 100 mm with more rise. There is probably not another bike that has the performance/comfort combo that the Roubaix has. If there is, I couldn't find it.

Have you tried any of the giant's? such as the ocr 1 (thats $1000). They have a specific comfort geometry, such as taller head tubes longer wheelbase, and carbon rear triangle and fork to soak up shocks. Also a bit cheaper.

Endorphin said:

The classic road bike is designed to allow a low-drag position while in the drops, which can be 1-2 mph faster than sitting upright with the same power output. You could probably get used to the drop position with a season or two of riding if you work at it; it's actually pretty comfortable. But, if you're not chasing speed, or have some issues with lower back pain, upright may be the way to go.

For comfort, suggest you get a big enough frame so that your saddle is level
with the handlebars when it's adjusted for your proper leg extension.