advice on pedals please?!

portovechios

May 13, 2006
just getting into cycling at the grand age of 38,got myself a trk su600,really nice and easy to road ride.wanna get some pedals/shoes sorted.....it comes with shimano spd 520 and i've been given a pair of shimano shoes but am waiting for them...

what I'm asking is,can you tell me what are the different options,ie cleats,clipless spd spdl spdx ect ect and what is the good easy to use option,,,i really don't have aclue what to get and how it all works

thankyou in advance1

Think about the possibilities. You could go with the open platform (not the best), use clips (actually straps), or clipless (actually clip you in). I have all three and have preferences based upon the type of ride. I prefer clips if I must stop often or need to wear street shoes. When it comes to distance riding clipless is the way to go. You are locked in and can use your legs not only to push down on the pedals, but also pull up. The down side is you must plan ahead to release or you may fall. Hope this helps.

portovechios said:
just getting into cycling at the grand age of 38,got myself a trk su600,really nice and easy to road ride.wanna get some pedals/shoes sorted.....it comes with shimano spd 520 and i've been given a pair of shimano shoes but am waiting for them...

what I'm asking is,can you tell me what are the different options,ie cleats,clipless spd spdl spdx ect ect and what is the good easy to use option,,,i really don't have aclue what to get and how it all works

thankyou in advance1

The 520's use standard SPD cleats. The other cleat types are for different pedal interfaces. If you bought the bike at a local shop, bring it back in when you get the shoes. They'll be able to sell you the cleats and help you get them set up.

Egg beaters are the best! Simple, easy in out, mud proof, 4 sided entry.

portovechios said:

thankyou in advance1

Do a search, you will find a wealth of discussions on this issue. I ride with Campagnolo Pro-Fits and love them.

Powerful Pete said:
Do a search, you will find a wealth of discussions on this issue. I ride with Campagnolo Pro-Fits and love them.
I was pondering Pro Fit pedals, what do you like about them? Can you put up a photo of the cleat at all, please? anything else you may want to add.:)

leestevens said:
I was pondering Pro Fit pedals, what do you like about them? Can you put up a photo of the cleat at all, please? anything else you may want to add.:)
I love them.

1. simple mechanism (it is the original Look design - I started riding with the original white Look pedals of Hinault and Lemond fame - love the system).
2. high quality (Campagnolo!).
3. beautiful
4. not so many people have 'em
5. bullet-proof, and rebuildable if necessary
6. high quality and beautiful ;)

I have the Record Titaniums...

Read more about 'em....

http://www.campagnolo.com/pedals.php

I went the opposite way of Pete. I bought the $25 wellgo M1 clipless pedals and love them. After a month or so break in period, and working out the kinks (put some locktite in the screw holes) they are great. Easily lubricatible, and if they last me only a year, I havent lost that much. They clip in and out easily once you set them up right, and did I mention, they're really cheap? Pretty light too. These were my first set of clipless pedals, and I had a really hard time with deciding weather or not to go clipless, but now could not imagine going back. I used clips for a while and thought it worked pretty well, but clipless is just a little better. Except for the whole not being able to walk around easily in your bike shoes thing.

Mpc350 said:
I went the opposite way of Pete. I bought the $25 wellgo M1 clipless pedals and love them. After a month or so break in period, and working out the kinks (put some locktite in the screw holes) they are great. Easily lubricatible, and if they last me only a year, I havent lost that much. They clip in and out easily once you set them up right, and did I mention, they're really cheap? Pretty light too. These were my first set of clipless pedals, and I had a really hard time with deciding weather or not to go clipless, but now could not imagine going back. I used clips for a while and thought it worked pretty well, but clipless is just a little better. Except for the whole not being able to walk around easily in your bike shoes thing.
Fair enough, it all depends on what you are willing to spend, how important bling is to you (yes, I need Campagnolo!), etc.

portovechios said:

thankyou in advance1
I personally like the Look Keo. If you wait long enough someone will recommend Speedplays or one of the other pedals as well. Best to try them yourself. Regarding short vs long rides and the type of pedal, once you have learned to use them you will never fall. Release from the pedal becomes automatic like using a manuel shift in a car. Also a favorite of mine.

portovechios said:

thankyou in advance1
There are obviously a lot of great clipless pedal designs ...

What you may want to consider is whether-or-not you think you will be doing much walking during any excursions.

Back in the day, when cycling shoes were NOT common, I clambered down the steps of my third floor walk-up in a pair of Detto Pietro shoes and my bike over my shoulder ... tedious on the verge of dangerous; but, once I was on the road, it was great.

The cleats of many of the pedals, particularly the ProFit, can only be used with so-called ROAD shoes -- these are NOT made for extended walking.

MTB, ATB, and touring shoes are better suited for walking to varying degrees; but, can only accommodate SPD mounted cleats.

ROAD shoes generally weigh less because they don't have the extra rubber layer that encircles the cleat.