Advice on purchasing new bike (please)

brianAZ

Jun 28, 2004
Hello hello
I'm in the market for a new road bike and I'd like some opinions on some of the various bikes I've priced, as well as recomendations for some bikes I've left out. My current bike is a Cannondale T2000 with Ultegra. So I've been looking at bikes in the $1400 to $1800 range which seems to be where the aluminum frame + ultegra + good wheel sets live. That said I've looked at:

Cannondale R1000 '03 - Full Ultegra (105 bottom bracket), KSyrium Maveric flite wheels, carbon slice fork, Cannondale Omega brakeset (any good?), fsa headset, Cannondale Competition seatpost (again, any good?) - $1700

Klein Aura XV - Full Ultegra, Carbon forks/seat stay/chain stay, Bontrager Racelite Wheelset, $1900

Felt '04 F35, KSyrium Flite Maveric, Dura Ace Shifters, FSA Carbon Cranks, Carbon Bars, Ultegra Calipers, Carbon seat/chain stay
$1500

Fuji Team '04: Carbon fork, Ultegra drive train, FSA Chainrings, Ritch Aero Pro wheelset, Ritchey pro/comp cockpit
$1600

Trek 2200 '04: Carbon Frame, Ultegra RD/Crankset, 105 FD, 105 Brakeset with Ultegra STI Levers (what is STI?)
$1700 - this is also the only carbon bike I've considered. I'm not really sure I want a carbon frame as I've A.) never ridden it B.) am only considering it because the bike is so light, however it's in the same price range as many of the other bikes. I also saw a Carbon Scattante with full Ultegra for $1500, but I don't trust the brand for some reason : )

well, those are all the bikes I've looked at. I didn't really see anything from Giant I was interested in. I want an aluminum bianchi, but the SL3 Centaur is $2200 : /. I'm looking to buy in late august/early september, so a lot of this may be premature.

Oh, I guess I should list my intentions for this bike (As I imagine that's a factor). I live in Tucson, AZ where I primarily ride mostly flat turrain, but we have mountains nearby and with a new lighter bike, I imagine i'll be riding up some steepness.

Originally posted by brianAZ
Hello hello

Trek 2200 '04: Carbon Frame, Ultegra RD/Crankset, 105 FD, 105 Brakeset with Ultegra STI Levers (what is STI?)
$1700 - this is also the only carbon bike I've considered. I'm not really sure I want a carbon frame as I've A.) never ridden it B.) am only considering it because the bike is so light, however it's in the same price range as many of the other bikes. .
In my Trek 04 catalogue, only the seatstays on the 2200 are CF. STI is integrated brake shift levers.

I see, I was confused regarding the shifters because I haven't run accross many non-flight deck levers.

You're right about the Trek. I missread the frame material as the seat stay material.

I have an '03 Fuji Team and I love it. I got a hell of a deal on it too. They have added the carbon seat stays this year which makes me wish I had waited a little longer but I still love the bike. The only thing I'd change is the wheel set and I'd go with some Mavic Ksyrium SSC's.....of course....haha. The bike as it comes though is light, fast, and accelerates well. Just my $.02 but I would give that Fuji a test ride and see how you like it.

I posted this in another thread, but due to the nature of these forums it probably wouldn't be read. So, my question is this:
Is the Giant Elite worth the extra $500 over the OCR1? I am on a limited budget, but I am willing to pay it if it is worth the price.

It's here, should be the last post:
http://cyclingforums.com/t125749-15-2.html

sloan, I took the fuji for a ride this morning. It felt great. This is the first bike that I've test ridden so far and I've realized that every bike is going to feel awesome compared to my T2000 (my roomates call it the tank, which hurts me very much). I'm going to have to figure out the subtle differences on 10 minute test rides with plain jane pedals.

sloan, I took the fuji for a ride this morning. It felt great. This is the first bike that I've test ridden so far and I've realized that every bike is going to feel awesome compared to my T2000 (my roomates call it the tank, which hurts me very much). I'm going to have to figure out the subtle differences on 10 minute test rides with plain jane pedals.

I tested many of the same bikes you listed (the Cannondale, Trek, Klein, Fuji as well as an Orbea, LeMond and Mercier.)

Far and away, the Fuji was the nicest in my estimation. I don't recall exactly which model it was, but I think it was the Team-it had the X-Fusion frame w/carbon fiber stays, Ultegra and Ritchey parts. It was as light, responsive and comfortable as any I tested. Great bike. The Cannondale was my second choice (I was a die-hard C'dale rider for the past 5 years.)

Prior to buying the Fuji, I discovered BikesDirect while on vacation in Az (they have a shop in Scottsdale) and found the Windsor Kennet which uses the same X-Fusion frame, full Ultegra, Ritchey etc as the Fuji and was a considerably lower price (since it's a no-name.) When I returned home, the local bike shop confirmed that the Windsor and the Fuji were essentially the same bike (and they couldn't touch the price.) I bought the Windsor and I love it.

I'm not necessarily pushing Windsor (but I am very pleased with mine.) There are potential drawbacks to the whole mail-order thing. BikesDirect does have a retail shop in Tucson, and others throughout Az, Tx and Fl, though if that's an option.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I was extremely impressed with the Fuji and have absolutely loved every mile I've put on it's cousin, the Windsor.

Good luck.

Hello hello
I'm in the market for a new road bike and I'd like some opinions on some of the various bikes I've priced, as well as recomendations for some bikes I've left out. My current bike is a Cannondale T2000 with Ultegra. So I've been looking at bikes in the $1400 to $1800 range which seems to be where the aluminum frame + ultegra + good wheel sets live. That said I've looked at:

Cannondale R1000 '03 - Full Ultegra (105 bottom bracket), KSyrium Maveric flite wheels, carbon slice fork, Cannondale Omega brakeset (any good?), fsa headset, Cannondale Competition seatpost (again, any good?) - $1700

Klein Aura XV - Full Ultegra, Carbon forks/seat stay/chain stay, Bontrager Racelite Wheelset, $1900

Felt '04 F35, KSyrium Flite Maveric, Dura Ace Shifters, FSA Carbon Cranks, Carbon Bars, Ultegra Calipers, Carbon seat/chain stay
$1500

Fuji Team '04: Carbon fork, Ultegra drive train, FSA Chainrings, Ritch Aero Pro wheelset, Ritchey pro/comp cockpit
$1600

$1700 - this is also the only carbon bike I've considered. I'm not really sure I want a carbon frame as I've A.) never ridden it B.) am only considering it because the bike is so light, however it's in the same price range as many of the other bikes. I also saw a Carbon Scattante with full Ultegra for $1500, but I don't trust the brand for some reason : )

well, those are all the bikes I've looked at. I didn't really see anything from Giant I was interested in. I want an aluminum bianchi, but the SL3 Centaur is $2200 : /. I'm looking to buy in late august/early september, so a lot of this may be premature.

If you will consider compact frames take a look at Specialized Roubaix Elite. It is in your price range and is full Ultegra, carbon fork, seat stays, and seat post.

I just bought one and love it.

Definitely test ride all of the bikes you are interested in or try to. I was orginally interested in Fuji Roubaix Pro but couldn't find one in my size to test ride.

When you do the test rides, recommend you have the shops to inflate the tires to a consistent pressure, because this makes a major difference in ride quality, maybe more than the frames you'll be comparing. Suggest 100 psi would be good unless you're over 200 lbs.

Recommend you have the shops inflate the tires to a consistent pressure before you test ride. In my experience, inflation makes a major difference in ride quality, probably more than the frames you'll be comparing. If you ride one bike with tires at 90 psi, and then the next one with 130 psi, it won't tell you much. Suggest 100 psi would be good unless you're over 200 lbs.

Also, suggest you try some sprints or hard stomps in the big ring to make sure the bike is stiff and responsive enough for you.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these bikes, but you want to get the one that fits you best and feels most comfortable. It may come down to style in the end....if one bike really makes you want to hop on and ride...that's the one.

Awesome glad you liked it. I'm with the guys on test rides. Try to take out as many of the variables as possible, like the tire pressure, which I never really thought about before but that would/could make a huge difference. Keep testing and let us know what you decide to get. I'm interested to see how the Fuji compares to the others in your experience.

Also, and I'm sure this is a given but just in case....make sure the bike geometry fits. My Fuji fits me so much better than my last bike that it's not even funny. I'm MUCH more comfortable, I'm not stretched out as too far, my back doesn't hurt like it used to...etc. The first time I bought a bike I didn't pay much attention and just went with what the LBS gave me and the bike was too big. I got a 58 and should have gotten a 56. I didn't realize how much difference that would make. I guess you never really know till you've had time to really ride the bike but make sure you take your time, ask a bunch of questions about proper fit, and find a shop that will take the time to talk to you about it all. I found out the hard way that it really pays off. Like I said, this may be a given, but thought I would throw it in just in case.

Looked at many of the bikes you listed, in addition a Colnago and Cervelo. Was about to buy the Felt F35 or Klein (torn at the time) when I test rode a Speciallized Allez comp on a whim (never thought I'd buy a 'soulless' bike - aluding to the dumbest post I've seen on this forum). The allez had a very ellusive combination of feel, value, quality, yada yada yada...quick and agile but comfortable, beautiful frame. Stumpworks developed the premise (identical to the stumpworks but sans DA and a couple other components), I'm now a fan. Just an option, but I would say try one. ~$1550-1600

Read your post again... "what is STI?" ???? You must be new to the cycling market. Best advice in that case is get an education through experience. Take a lot of bikes out for 'test drives', read up on a forum such as this, get involved in discussions w/friends who have been into cycling for years, that kind of thing. Don't just drop a couple grand on a frame w/o a thorough knowledge of the pro's/con's of the spectrum of options out there...

FWIW, STI is the combination of break lever and shifter in drop handlebars... break levers have up/down shifters for F/R derailleurs integrated. Equivalence of Campy's Ergo system.