Advice on Raleigh grand prix

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by N0spaam, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. N0spaam

    N0spaam Guest

    I am a road bike newbie and planning to buy a used (10 year old) Raleigh grand prix for ~ $150
    bucks. Is that a good deal? Are theese good starter bikes?

    Tags:

  2. Budman

    Budman Guest

    Be sure about the condition. I believe the Grand Prix were straight 4130 cromoly steel, not state of
    the art for their time. I had a Super Grand Prix about 15 years ago. Suntour components with Wineman
    brakes. I think it cost me about $200 new. "n0spaam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am a road bike newbie and planning to buy a used (10 year old) Raleigh grand prix for ~ $150
    > bucks. Is that a good deal? Are theese good starter bikes?

  3. > I am a road bike newbie and planning to buy a used (10 year old) Raleigh grand prix for ~ $150
    > bucks. Is that a good deal? Are theese good starter bikes?

    If it's the Raleigh Grand Prix I'm thinking of, $150 might be a pretty high price for it. But most
    of my familiarity with older Raleighs is with *really* old Raleighs. If the bike you're looking at
    has indexed shifting and at least 7 gears in back, *and* most importantly fits right, could be a
    decent way to go. Especially if it's in very good condition. But it really does have to be in very
    good condition to be worth $150, or else you'll be spending a lot of money fixing it up, plus the
    hassle of dealing with legacy issues (stuff that's hard to get parts for).

  4. Menotomy

    Menotomy Guest

    I agree, figure more like $100 for a good, tuned and ridable Grand Prix.

    Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc http://OldRoads.com