Advice on recumbents

Roger

Guest
I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

I'm currently interested in 2 models,
- the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before
and like their gear. The fact that it is foldable is a big
plus. However the 16" wheels seem to be quite a
compromise.
- the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a good
touring machine.

Any other machines I should be looking at?

Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important
component?

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models
that are significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all
and then decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but
could nip over to UK, France, Holland, or Germany if it were
worth it.)

Any info, help, tips gratefully accepted.

Roger

Roger wrote:

> I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

Yes: stop thinking about it and do it! ;-)

Try as many as you can. If possible go to some rallies
and try lots (York will probably have BikeFix and ICE on
site again)

> - the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a
> good touring machine.

There's a reason for that. It /is/ a good touring machine...

There are very few disappointed owners (none that I know
of). It's a very well-mannered bike. Also try the
comparable offerings from Challenge, Optima and M5. Might
even be worth a trip to a bentmonger in Holland to try lots
of them, as no recumbent is exactly cheap. Hang on a
minute, I'll get my coat...

> Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important
> component?

Hell no. The most important component is the rider; if the
machine doesn't fit the rider everything else is secondary.
Hence the advise to try lots.

> The big turn off is the price, are there any good models
> that are significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

Not really. But it's a bike, bikes last forever. Unless
they get metal fatigue, and even then they get replaced
under warranty.

> And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them
> all and then decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium,
> but could nip over to UK, France, Holland, or Germany if
> it were worth it.)

Belgium? Dammit, man, you are half an hour's drive away from
the recumbent capital of the world! There are three Dutch
recumbent manufacturers.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

> - the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a
> good touring machine.

I bought one in February, and I love it - it's comfortable,
it's relaxing, it carries an enormous load with little or no
effect on the handling - HPVelotechnik really got their sums
right when designing the balance of it. I would put in a
warning that like most recumbents it is a bit heavy - about
16kilos or so, and it is physically large and can be
cumbersome to manouever. Having said that, when a ramp was
closed on my commute, I could literally tuck the machine
under my arm (over the seat and under the frame) and jog up
a set of steps, but this was with out any bags on it.

> Any other machines I should be looking at?

Lots - as Guy said in his reply there are many makers -
Optima, Nazca and others in the Netherlands which is close
to you - HPVelotechnik make other models - the Grasshopper
is a new model that makes a nippy light tourer - have a look
at http://www.bentrideronline.com and follow the "Buyers
Guide" link at the top.

> Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important
> component?

On the bike itself there is no one most important
component (other than the rider), and what one person
think is the best, may not be the best for you. On the
subject of the seat, if you get a recumbent with a solid
seat, get a breathable seat cushion, otherwise your back
gets a bit damp.

> The big turn off is the price, are there any good models
> that are significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

No, not even second-hand. My Streetmachine cost about 3000
EUR, and I had to cut down from my original spec. This is a
lot of money, and why you really need to test ride as many
as possible, and try as many variations as possible - it's a
big wedge of money to spend, so you want to get what is
right for you. Having said that, I do not regret paying more
for my bike than I did for my car, I find it hard to take
the grin off my face as I pedal along.

> And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them
> all and then decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium,
> but could nip over to UK,
France,
> Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Holland. That's the place - I reckon it would be well worth
it - living on our island can be a bit isolating.

One thing - when you do get a recumbent, be ready for people
to stop and talk to you about it - normally along the lines
of "Wow - cool bike - where did you get it, what's it like
to ride, where can I get one......."

Have fun, and good luck

Eddie Dubourg

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?
>
> I'm currently interested in 2 models,
> - the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before
> and like their gear. The fact that it is foldable is a
> big plus. However the 16" wheels seem to be quite a
> compromise.
> - the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a
> good touring machine.
>
> Any other machines I should be looking at?
>
> Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important
> component?
>
> The big turn off is the price, are there any good models
> that are significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?
>
> And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them
> all and then decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium,
> but could nip over to UK, France, Holland, or Germany if
> it were worth it.)
>
> Any info, help, tips gratefully accepted.
>
> Roger

The Street Machine is a good touring bike, Deemed a bit
heavy by many though. As others have suggested, the Dutch
models are also worthy candidates.

The Bike Sat-R-day is IMO marginally suitable for more than
just an overnight tour. Larry Varney (who may still be
posting here) would be a good resource for more information
for touring with a Bike Sat-R-Day.

You can also check out 'BentRider Online
http://www.bentrideronline.com/ for more 'bent information.
The touring forum on the message board would be very
helpful. Larry Varney is one of the regulars there. If you
do post in the 'BentRider Online forums, you will need to
clarify that your interest is in bike available in Europe.
The Message board is typically America Centric.

If you can see some American 'bents, the Lightning Voyager
(my touring recumbent) is a particularly good touring
machine. It is S&S coupled and comes apart to pack in an
airline acceptable size case. I have taken this bike to
Europe a couple of times. It is short enough to take on
trains and will fit in just about any area set aside for a
standard DF. This may not be the case for many of the
European recumbents.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger wrote:

> > And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them
> > all and then decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium,
> > but could nip over to UK, France, Holland, or Germany if
> > it were worth it.)
>
> Belgium? Dammit, man, you are half an hour's drive away
> from the recumbent capital of the world! There are three
> Dutch recumbent manufacturers.

The weekend after next is the Spezi bike show in Germersheim
- lots of recumbent stuff there and I believe they have a
test track. Well worth a visit if you can get there. Rob, my
husband will be there, racing and helping out on the
Greenspeed stand.

<http://www.spezialradmesse.de/> has more details about the
show, in English as well as German.

--
Carol "The bicycle is the product of pure reason applied
to motion."

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Roger wrote:

> I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?
>
> I'm currently interested in 2 models,
> - the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before
> and like their gear. The fact that it is foldable is a
> big plus. However the 16" wheels seem to be quite a
> compromise.
> - the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a
> good touring machine.
>
> Any other machines I should be looking at?

My bike is an M5 28/20 - similar to the Street-machine but
lighter (13.5 kg), higher, cheaper - but it is an old design
with outmoded elastomer suspension that works fine but
eventually perishes.

> Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important
> component?
>
> The big turn off is the price, are there any good models
> that are significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

If you feel confident assembling a bike from the frameset,
then M5 have some very good offers. I recently bought an M5
frameset for about 800 euros including VAT and postage - as
I recall it came with everything but wheels, brakes and the
chainset/gears.

If you are interested in taking this route, I'd take a look
at the newer M5 models rather than the 28/20 (though it's a
good bike). Email me offline if you're interested.

> And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them
> all and then decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium,
> but could nip over to UK, France, Holland, or Germany if
> it were worth it.)

Always the problem...

Kit

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?
>
> I'm currently interested in 2 models,
> - the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before
> and like their gear. The fact that it is foldable is a
> big plus. However the 16" wheels seem to be quite a
> compromise.
> - the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a
> good touring machine.
>
> Any other machines I should be looking at?
>
> Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important
> component?
>
> The big turn off is the price, are there any good models
> that are significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?
>
> And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them
> all and then decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium,
> but could nip over to UK, France, Holland, or Germany if
> it were worth it.)
>
> Any info, help, tips gratefully accepted.
>
> Roger

Roger,

The rightful owner of Larry Varney's SAT R DAY speaking up
or is it out? <g> The SRD is an exceptional recumbent,
especially if you do a lot of traveling. It wouldn't be my
first choice for an every day bike if no travel is involved.
One thing I know. I'll never sell it no matter how much
money Larry offers me. The bike is stable, rock solid, and
fun to ride.

As for your "bent", might could be more help if I knew what
your budget is and what kind of riding you like to do.

Cheers

Slow Joe

Just for a bit of balance, I am 6'-2", weigh 200 pounds.. I
bought a Sat-r-day recumbent with huge expectations. Keep in
mind, also, I was 60 y/o when I made the purchase.... I kept
it for 2 weeks and really tried to love
it... and couldn't (I rode it for about 25 miles, total). If
you must have a folder, and I mean must with a capital M,
then... maybe. There is no way it could be my main
recumbent. The package weighs in at close to 40 pounds.
So, think of yourself with a 40 pound suitcase PLUS
whatever else you might have on your trip.... for me, I
use a carry-on for all my trips, no matter how long they
might be (last was 4 weeks in AU), no bent..... I also
found it very clumsy to try and get back into the case..
I would almost rather have a Voyager where you take it
apart and pack it (with couplers).

Ride-wise, the s/r/d was almost acceptable (but 'toy-like),
but it has 2 small wheels. The seat is made for something
that has to 'get small'..... I really wish there was
something good I could say about my adventure with the bent,
so....it can be put into a suitcase..... bottom line, the
dream vs. the reality, and the reality wasn't pretty... but
the pre-delivery dream was great..

I currently have two really nice recumbents, a rans vivo
(dual suspension, no longer made) and a GRR folder (and
shipable in a bike case)...... I do hear a dual 26" calling
me and talked to hostel shoppe about a volae Tour dual 26
today..... will have to think a while on that one. . Arne,
USA (member of the human tribe) . "Joe Keenan"

Roger wrote:

> The big turn off is the price, are there any good models
> that are significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

Several low-end models are Actionbent, Cycle Genius, and Sun/EZ-
1 (designed by Easy Racers, built by Sun). They are all
under US$1000. And I think there are some around $1500, but
that's too far above my budget so I never look at them, but
there's some European model whose name I forget in that
range that I have longed for at times.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just
wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Roger wrote:

> I'm currently interested in 2 models,
> - the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before
> and like their gear. The fact that it is foldable is a
> big plus. However the 16" wheels seem to be quite a
> compromise.

I like the Bike Friday too, but I've done a lot of
travelling with the M5 CMPCT, and I like it better. The
standard front wheel of the CMPCT is 16" (305mm), but that
doesn't seem to impair its handling; and you can get dual
20" (451mm) wheels as an option, if you prefer.

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/main.php?sNewPage=CMPCT