Advice on repainting frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, May 1, 2003.

  1. Hello, I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not worth spending $150-200
    to get it bead blasted and powder coated. What I need is some advice:

    1) What's the best way to remove the rust and paint that is currently on the frame.
    2) What's the best DIY paint job I can expect? How is it done?

    Thanks in advance,
    - Boyd S.

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 02 May 2003 04:42:50 +0000, Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

    > Hello, I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not worth spending
    > $150-200 to get it bead blasted and powder coated.

    Could be found for $100

    > 1) What's the best way to remove the rust and paint that is currently on the frame.

    No matter what, it is hard work. Stripper is probably best, but that is nasty stuff, eats your
    hands, and still does not work well on bike paint, since that is baked on.

    > 2) What's the best DIY paint job I can expect?

    Not very good

    How is it done?

    Either spray cans or sprayer.  I've used both and have not been happy. Lacquer with clearcoat is
    probably best, but it is not adequately durable, nor is enamel. Some fancier paints are now
    available, but the cost of all this is close to that of a decent powder coater, and will not last
    for shit compared to powder. Powder is now available in whatever color you want.

    I had my old track bike coated. With single-color powder on the frame (metallic cobalt blue) and
    chrome plating on the fork (it had been painted), I paid $150. It would have been $100 for frame and
    fork in one color. I couldn't convince him to chrome the whole thing, which is what I really wanted,
    but the contamination of one bath to another with leftover solution in the tubes he did not want to
    deal with.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. _`\(,_ | That is easy. All
    you have to do is tell them they are being (_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for
    lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any <country. --
    Hermann Goering

  3. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not worth spending
    > $150-200 to get it bead blasted and powder coated. What I need
    is
    > some advice:

    Does anyone know how to touch up scratches on the matte black 2003 XTC frame?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. On Fri, 02 May 2003 01:58:09 +0000, David L. Johnson wrote:

    > I had my old track bike coated. With single-color powder on the frame (metallic cobalt blue) and
    > chrome plating on the fork (it had been painted), I paid $150. It would have been $100 for frame
    > and fork in one color. I couldn't convince him to chrome the whole thing, which is what I really
    > wanted, but the contamination of one bath to another with leftover solution in the tubes he did
    > not want to deal with.

    Damn! That's cheap! Any chance this guy would do bikes by mail?

    -Dondo

  5. On Fri, 2 May 2003, Captain Dondo wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 May 2003 01:58:09 +0000, David L. Johnson wrote:
    > > I had my old track bike coated. With single-color powder on the frame (metallic cobalt blue) and
    > > chrome plating on the fork (it had been painted), I paid $150. It would have been $100 for frame
    > > and fork in one color. I couldn't convince him to chrome the whole thing, which is what I really
    > > wanted, but the contamination of one bath to another with leftover solution in the tubes he did
    > > not want to deal with.
    > Damn! That's cheap! Any chance this guy would do bikes by mail?

    Globalization at work!

    In the Pisa area this is what I pay. Fork chroming: 50 euro. Steel frame stripping and repainting:
    100 euro. Additional for 'letter setting', to be sprayed through, for the brand name: 10 euro.

    That's even better than close.

    Sergio Pisa

  6. "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2003 04:42:50 +0000, Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not worth spending
    >> $150-200 to get it bead blasted and powder coated.
    >
    > Could be found for $100

    Where?

    <snip

  7. On Fri, 02 May 2003 12:39:34 +0000, Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

    > "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 May 2003 04:42:50 +0000, Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello, I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not worth spending
    >>> $150-200 to get it bead blasted and powder coated.
    >>
    >> Could be found for $100
    >
    > Where?

    DGM in NE Philly.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong. _`\(,_ | He's not the kind
    you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian (_)/ (_) | Anderson

  8. On Fri, 02 May 2003 05:18:42 +0000, Captain Dondo wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 May 2003 01:58:09 +0000, David L. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> I had my old track bike coated. With single-color powder on the frame (metallic cobalt blue) and
    >> chrome plating on the fork (it had been painted), I paid $150. It would have been $100 for frame
    >> and fork in one color. I couldn't convince him to chrome the whole thing, which is what I really
    >> wanted, but the contamination of one bath to another with leftover solution in the tubes he did
    >> not want to deal with.
    >
    > Damn! That's cheap! Any chance this guy would do bikes by mail?

    You can call him 215-331-0960

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  9. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    news:p[email protected]...

    wrote:

    > > I had my old track bike coated. With single-color
    powder on the frame
    > > (metallic cobalt blue) and chrome plating on the fork
    (it had been
    > > painted), I paid $150. It would have been $100 for
    frame and fork in one
    > > color. I couldn't convince him to chrome the whole
    thing, which is what I
    > > really wanted, but the contamination of one bath to
    another with leftover
    > > solution in the tubes he did not want to deal with.
    >
    > Damn! That's cheap! Any chance this guy would do bikes
    by mail?

    Sounds like a screaming deal to me, too. I've painted enough bike frames the hard way to appreciate
    it. It's a lot of work, and unless you have some good spray gear, the results are unlikely to be
    very good.

    Actually, if you have the shop set up, you could do bike frames very cheaply. Guys that do roll
    bars, etc. for offroad vehicles would be able to do this easily. Bead blasting a frame takes only a
    few minutes, and so does the actual spraying. You could probably have less than an hour invested in
    each frame, leaving plenty out of $!00 for rent and profit.

    The rest of us fiddle around for hours.

    Even if you did get a good finish from a spray paint can, these paints aren't very durable. Your
    bike would be full of chips and scratches in no time. If you're going to invest all that time and
    energy, and don't forget the effort to build up the bike, you might as well do it right.

    BTDT.

    Matt O.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not worth spending
    > $150-200 to get it bead blasted and powder coated. What I need
    is
    > some advice:
    >
    > 1) What's the best way to remove the rust and paint that is currently on the frame.
    > 2) What's the best DIY paint job I can expect? How is it done?

    Often just repairing the finish is a reasonable approach. With a set of five inch files ($5~10 at
    any hardware store or XMart) or even just a nailfile/emery board, sand/file the rusted parts down to
    clean steel. Paint over those spots if they are small or primer and then paint if the nicks are
    large. Obviously, some colors lend themselves to spot repair better than others.

    Today I spent $50 worth of time doing just that on a 1963 race bike as anything less than a $600
    paint job would have bastardized it. Even where money doesn't matter ( and there are such
    situations, really) a repaired original finish with original transfers has a quality that a modern
    respray can't touch - integrity. I am saddened by the bland medium blue metallic resprays that
    replace original finishes which once had character. That's of course a matter of taste.

    This may be helpful: http://www.yellowjersey.org/paint_repair.html

    If you want to completely disassemble the bicycle, strip the paint and start over, buy all of your
    materials at the same time ( etch, primer, thinner, color, reducer, activator, accelerator, clear)
    and specifically ask about compatibility at the paint store.

  11. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello, I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not
    worth
    > > spending $150-200 to get it bead blasted and powder coated. What I need
    > is
    > > some advice:
    >
    > Does anyone know how to touch up scratches on the matte black 2003 XTC frame?

    Uh, matte black paint? Is this a trick question?

  12. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Boyd Speerschneider
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >I have an old steel Fuji Team frame I would like to repaint. Its not worth spending $150-200 to get
    >it bead blasted and powder coated. What I need is some advice:
    >
    >1) What's the best way to remove the rust and paint that is currently on the frame.
    >2) What's the best DIY paint job I can expect? How is it done?

    I spent days with paint stripper and steel wool and sand paper trying to get all the English Stove
    enamel off of a Raleigh. I'd suggest having it bead blasted, I had to have mine finished that way. I
    had to find stronger stripper and used a lot of steel wool only to have to shell out the $25 for the
    bead blasting anyway.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  13. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    SPEER!! yo read "DIY Paint Remover" in Bike.Tech. there's a neat tool one can use to strip the
    frame, derust, and break the wrist in one day!!

  14. Ralph Bean

    Ralph Bean Guest

    According to www.salemcycle.com/SC_framepaint.html Salem Cycle's basic rate is $100.

    I have not had any work done by them.