Advice on replacing fork/headset

tipp

Jul 28, 2011
I ride a 2001 TCR anodized
http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/it/03 ... model=9726
I'd like to swop out the fork and headset, which has started to creak a little, also the fork is heavy, can anyone please recommend options. also can you let me know if this is something I could tackle myself. Am i right in thinking that any 1 1/8 fork will fit?
Thanks in advance.

Creaking is no reason to throw out the fork and headset. If the HS bearings are still smooth and can be cleaned up and re-greased, then I would do that first. If they're not smooth then replace the bearings as necessary. At the same time clean and regrease the bearing cups in the frame and the crown race of the fork, before reassembly.

If there is still creaking after this then the problem is not the HS or the fork but something else. Creaking noises can be transmitted very effectively through the frame.
Creaking is usually due to something which is either not greased enough and/or not tight enough.

I doubt the fork is too heavy (maybe someone who regularly works on giants can tell better) if it is already a carbon item. It would cost you a lot of money to shave about 100g from a fork like that. Not really woth it for a ten year old bike.

To do the job you need allen keys, grease, and common sense. Only you can tell if you fit the requirements.

Thank you for the reply, I will indeed give it a go, the grease and allen keys i can guarantee the common sense I'm treating as an optional extra. There is a gap at the bottom of the headset and the steering is jittery not at all smooth, I will investigate and see what comes of it. The fork in question was a replacement and is pretty heavy in comparison to the frame components and wheels, and since I'm intend on doing the bike up [despite it's age it is otherwise in fine shape] I would like to swop it out. Can you please tell me if a standard 1 1/8 fork will fit the bill or is there any other info I may need.
Thanks again.

If you're intent on fitting a new fork then yes any fork with a 1.125" steerer will work. As for the "jittery steering" I would guess that the headset is too loose. The steerer should be able to spin freely but not move side to side. Usually this can be fixed by nipping up the top bolt until side-side play is removed (though the stem bolts need to be undone first and then redone afterwards).