Advice on replacing old MTB chainrings

I've worn out the middle ring on my old Bridgestone MB-3, and after
also just replacing my rear cassette, I'm thinking I'll just replace
all the rings at once. This is a 24-36-46 ring set, 110mm/74mm bolt
pattern, 7 speed. The original rings are Shimano SG "C".

It looks like I can get flat aluminum replacements (Salsa or Sugino)
for roughly $20+$20+$30 from various sources. I can substitute the
middle and outer rings with Shimano SG-X rings for an extra $20. I
think I'd prefer those for smoother shifting. Anything else I should
consider here? I think the SG-X rings are 7-speed compatible?

-- Dave

[email protected] wrote:
> I've worn out the middle ring on my old Bridgestone MB-3, and after
> also just replacing my rear cassette, I'm thinking I'll just replace
> all the rings at once. This is a 24-36-46 ring set, 110mm/74mm bolt
> pattern, 7 speed. The original rings are Shimano SG "C".
>
> It looks like I can get flat aluminum replacements (Salsa or Sugino)
> for roughly $20+$20+$30 from various sources. I can substitute the
> middle and outer rings with Shimano SG-X rings for an extra $20. I
> think I'd prefer those for smoother shifting. Anything else I should
> consider here? I think the SG-X rings are 7-speed compatible?
>
> -- Dave

Pete is right. You want to look for "ramped and pinned" rings for the
middle and big to aid shifting.

Mike

"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per [email protected]:
> > Anything else I should
> >consider here?

> Consider the intended use of the replacement ring.
>
> I suspect that some rings are designed for multi-ring applications and

others
> aren't.
>
> The Salsa I have on one of my bikes looks tb designed for a single-ring

setup.
> On my other rings there are various little sculpted areas that look to me

like
> they're designed to facilitate the chain moving from one ring to another.
>
> Maybe somebody who actually knows something can chime in here.
> --
> PeteCresswell

Get a "ramped" chainring for smooth shifting.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:50:15 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I've worn out the middle ring on my old Bridgestone MB-3, and after
>also just replacing my rear cassette, I'm thinking I'll just replace
>all the rings at once. This is a 24-36-46 ring set, 110mm/74mm bolt
>pattern, 7 speed. The original rings are Shimano SG "C".
>
>It looks like I can get flat aluminum replacements (Salsa or Sugino)
>for roughly $20+$20+$30 from various sources. I can substitute the
>middle and outer rings with Shimano SG-X rings for an extra $20. I
>think I'd prefer those for smoother shifting. Anything else I should
>consider here? I think the SG-X rings are 7-speed compatible?
>
>-- Dave

You can buy a crankset and throw away or sell the crankarms
<http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CR1033>

Check the auction site for NOS new old stock complete cranks.
I picked up an new old 7 speed Deore crank perfect match to my Trek
MB. Much cheaper than the rings and shifting is perfect. Here is one
but it ends soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7173645292

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:50:15 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I've worn out the middle ring on my old Bridgestone MB-3, and after
>also just replacing my rear cassette, I'm thinking I'll just replace
>all the rings at once. This is a 24-36-46 ring set, 110mm/74mm bolt
>pattern, 7 speed. The original rings are Shimano SG "C".
>
>It looks like I can get flat aluminum replacements (Salsa or Sugino)
>for roughly $20+$20+$30 from various sources. I can substitute the
>middle and outer rings with Shimano SG-X rings for an extra $20. I
>think I'd prefer those for smoother shifting. Anything else I should
>consider here? I think the SG-X rings are 7-speed compatible?
>
>-- Dave

Per [email protected]:

The Quiet Man <[email protected]> wrote:
> Check the auction site for NOS new old stock complete cranks.
> I picked up an new old 7 speed Deore crank perfect match to my Trek
> MB. Much cheaper than the rings and shifting is perfect. Here is one
> but it ends soon.

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7173645292

I'd tried looking for chainrings on ebay but not whole crank sets.
I'm not sure about dealing with chainline issues if I replace the
whole crank set, and I didn't see any current listings that looked
like a close match to my existing crank.

- Dave

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:

> You can buy a crankset and throw away or sell the crankarms
> <http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CR1033>

That's not a bad idea. Though the inner ring is only a 26, and
swapping that would wipe out much of the savings. Any opinion on
steel vs aluminum alloy chainrings (i.e. XD300 @ $47 vs XD600 @ $71?)
Also these cranks have one bolt aligned with the crank arm rather than
offset as with my existing crank; is that any cause for concern
(i.e. does it mean the ramps/pins will be mispositioned if I swap
rings?)

I haven't seen any online catalogs with individual Sugino chainrings
with ramps/pins. The sold-separate rings seem to always be the "flat"
ones.

-- Dave

Booker C. Bense <[email protected]> wrote:

> _ If he has indexed front derailler shifting, then the various ramps
> and pins are most like neccessary for proper shifting. If it's just
> a thumbshifter then the ramps aren't needed. If you poke around you
> can get a complete set of RaceFace 24-34-46 chainrings for 110/74
> cranks for about $80 bucks[1]. They say 9-speed but will work just
> fine with any speed and have all the ramps and pins.

I do have a friction thumb shifter for the front, but still prefer the
ramped chainrings that came with the bike. I've already replaced the
middle ring once with a cheap flat ring and was never happy with the
shifting after doing so.

> _ Of course, you can get a Sugino XD crank and appropriate
> shimano square taper BB for pretty close to $80. If the
> original bike has a cartridge BB, then if the chainrings
> are really worn out, it might be time to replace the BB
> as well.

I swapped out the original non-cartridge BB for (I think) a UN72 a
couple years ago.

> [1]- Try Cambria Bike Outfitters or Performance.

Performance has a surprisingly lousy selection of chainrings in their
catalog. I had not looked at Cambria before but they seem to be much
better.

Cambria has SUN Ringle alloy chainrings for very low prices: $45 total
for a 24-36-46 set. The web page claims these are ramped but I can't
tell that from the photo and can find little information about them
online.

-- Dave