Advice on Replacing Trek-700 for Urban Commuting

AEngineerDU

Guest
I've been riding a Trek-700 for about fifteen years to commute in
Philadelphia - year round except for serious ice on the streets. It's
done well and I may well just keep it, but the front fork is rattling,
the chain is stretched, it looks beat-up etc. So....

Have there been technology improvements in the last 15 years, or am I
just buying prettier without any real improvements? In other words,
should I just pay for replacement parts or should I make this the
excuse to upgrade?

What would be today's equivalent of the Trek-700 - as good or somewhat
better? It doesn't have to be Trek.

For those who weren't looking at bikes back then, the 700 is an
upright (good visibility) with a medium-wide rim. I often put 30-40
pounds of stuff on the rack on the rear when carrying packages home.

Thanks

Jim Mitchell

On 2007-07-01, AEngineerDU <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've been riding a Trek-700 for about fifteen years to commute in
> Philadelphia - year round except for serious ice on the streets. It's
> done well and I may well just keep it, but the front fork is rattling,
> the chain is stretched, it looks beat-up etc. So....
>

> Have there been technology improvements in the last 15 years, or am I
> just buying prettier without any real improvements? In other words,
> should I just pay for replacement parts or should I make this the
> excuse to upgrade?

I'd keep riding it. The 700 was a decent frame and the problems you
describe sound like regular wear and tear. Replace the headset, chain,
and probably freewheel, do a tune up, and you should be good as new.
For commuting there's not much advantage in new technology, and a new
bike would just be more attractive to thieves.

--

John ([email protected])

On Jul 1, 5:37 pm, AEngineerDU <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been riding a Trek-700 for about fifteen years to commute in
> Philadelphia - year round except for serious ice on the streets. It's
> done well and I may well just keep it, but the front fork is rattling,
> the chain is stretched, it looks beat-up etc. So....
>
> Have there been technology improvements in the last 15 years, or am I
> just buying prettier without any real improvements? In other words,
> should I just pay for replacement parts or should I make this the
> excuse to upgrade?

15 years on a 700? Go on, treat yourself to something shiny. If you're
locking up outside, there are still a few ~$300 hybrids that aren't
too dear that will do the trick without attracting attention.

But if you've got secure bike storage, treat yourself to a nice hub
geared bike. The Breezer series is wonderful, and I especially like
the two REI Nexus hubbed bikes at around $600 and $750 respectively.

As far as technology, nah, you ain't missed much if you go for a new
inexpensive traditional hybrid with derailleurs. Some folks are crazy
about these new things called "linear pull brakes", but the old cantis
were fine as well.

http://www.breezerbikes.com/bike_details.cfm?bikeType=town&frame=d&bike=uptown
http://www.rei.com/novara_bikes/TOC/Commuter+Bikes?cm_re=toc*toc*commuter_bikes

> Have there been technology improvements in the last 15 years, or am I
> just buying prettier without any real improvements? In other words,
> should I just pay for replacement parts or should I make this the
> excuse to upgrade?

There have certainly been improvements, but whether they're worthwhile to
*you* is the relevant issue. And that's easy enough to ascertain. Just drop
by your LBS and try out a new bike. You might look at something like the
7.3FX (in the Trek line), which is a no-nonsense functional under-$500
"hybrid" like your old 700, only a fair amount lighter weight, better brakes
& shifting etc. But is it enough to justify a new bike vs repairing the old
one? Only a test ride will tell. You know your old bike very well. You just
need to learn what something new has... or hasn't... to offer.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...