Advice on return to running

Eric

Guest
After essentially taking all of 2005 off from running, I hope to return
this year and look forward to any advice on my plan.

At an age of 43, I had my best year ever in 2004 with PRs in the
Marathon (3:09) and 10K (37:39). But after the marathon, the plantar
fasciitis I have battle on and off for 5 years eventually drove me to
taking the year off. I even had some nerve problems in my left foot
(tarsal tunnel?). I have been under the care of a podiatrist, but am
unsure if she is of much help. I've talked with other local runners and
although she is hightly recommended, I will be going to another
podiatrist shortly.

During 2005, I kept backing down on my running until I completely
stopped in early summer. I have kept somewhat active with biking,
eliptical, stair machines and walking. At this point I have been
completely pain free for 2 good months.

My plan is to build strength and flexibility in my feet/calves for the
winter and then if all is working well start moving back to the running
keeping a large load of cross training.

I have heard that foot problems are the most common reason people stop
running. I also have come to realize that I would like to continue
running even if I do not push myself as hard as I once did.

Any recommendations to increase my chance of success?

Eric wrote:

Welcome, Eric.

> My plan is to build strength and flexibility in my feet/calves for the
> winter and then if all is working well start moving back to the running
> keeping a large load of cross training.

You might want to indicate what you are doing for strength and
flexibility, then people who have "been there" with PF might be able to
indicate if that's worked for them or if something else was better.

It may take awhile, but you should be able to return to some level of
normal running if you work on strength (muscle imbalances?) and
flexibility and return gradually.

Good luck!

Dot

--
"Dream big and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughan
world-famous adventurer who was with Byrd in Antarctica and died Dec 23,

Eric wrote:
> After essentially taking all of 2005 off from running, I hope to return
> this year and look forward to any advice on my plan.

[]
> My plan is to build strength and flexibility in my feet/calves for the
> winter and then if all is working well start moving back to the running
> keeping a large load of cross training.
>
> I have heard that foot problems are the most common reason people stop
> running. I also have come to realize that I would like to continue
> running even if I do not push myself as hard as I once did.
>
> Any recommendations to increase my chance of success?

I think you have the key: at least for now, don't push the limits.

Focus on flexibility.

I haven't "battled PF" but I have had a touch of it recently and
stretching seems to help. One thing weird I noticed today was the top
of my foot seems to be tight. I'm going to work on stretching that too.

But the key seems to be: know your limits and don't push them. After
5years battling PF you should know very well where those limits are.

Enjoy the run.
Ed.