Advice on road bike please.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Saint, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Saint

    Saint Guest

    Hi All

    I have been a user of a hybrid bike for some years and mainly use it for leisure/touring and am
    happy with it. However I now want something in addition which will help me to train more effectively
    and enable me to ride more quickly - though not necessarily race.

    Can anyone give an opinion on a decent make/model of road bike to purchase and what I should look
    for in one? Also, tips on where to buy one either online or in NW UK would be appreciated.

    Budget is about £250 - £300.

    Thank you.

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Saint" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have been a user of a hybrid bike for some years and mainly use it for leisure/touring and am
    > happy with it. However I now want something in addition which will help me to train more
    > effectively and enable me to
    ride
    > more quickly - though not necessarily race.
    >
    > Can anyone give an opinion on a decent make/model of road bike to purchase and what I should look
    > for in one? Also, tips on where to buy one either online or in NW UK would be appreciated.
    >
    > Budget is about £250 - £300.
    >
    > Thank you.

    If you want speed you could try a flat barred road bike. You should be able to get last year's
    Ridgeback Genesis Day 00 or 01 or something similar for your budget.

  3. Dreamlx10

    Dreamlx10 Guest

    "Saint" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I have been a user of a hybrid bike for some years and mainly use it for leisure/touring and am
    > happy with it. However I now want something in addition which will help me to train more
    > effectively and enable me to
    ride
    > more quickly - though not necessarily race.
    >
    > Can anyone give an opinion on a decent make/model of road bike to purchase and what I should look
    > for in one? Also, tips on where to buy one either online or in NW UK would be appreciated.
    >
    > Budget is about £250 - £300.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > Up your budget by a couple of hundred pounds and there are a lot more
    alternatives out there. Don't fall for the flat barred road bike thing on the go at the moment. As
    you will have already found out the faster you go the more aerodynamic you want to be, and flat bars
    don't let you get down into a comfartable aerodynamic position.

    Graham

  4. In message <[email protected]>, dreamlx10 <[email protected]> writes
    >and flat bars don't let you get down into a comfartable aerodynamic position.

    And lots of baked beans add to the effect considerably! :)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. "dreamlx10" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Up your budget by a couple of hundred pounds and there are a lot more alternatives out there.
    > Don't fall for the flat barred road bike thing on the go at the moment. As you will have already
    > found out the faster you go the more aerodynamic you want to be, and flat bars don't let you get
    > down into a comfartable aerodynamic position.

    I think some people find flat bars more comfortable than drops. My new bike has flat bars and they
    still seem to give a pretty aerodynamic posture, whilst keeping easy access to the gears & brakes.

  6. iainQlang

    iainQlang Guest

    . My take on it is that dropped bars, and their curves, give you more hand-position options.

    Yooors,

    Iain.

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:03:47 +0100, "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "dreamlx10" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Up your budget by a couple of hundred pounds and there are a lot
    more
    > > alternatives out there. Don't fall for the flat barred road bike
    thing on
    > > the go at the moment. As you will have already found out the
    faster you go
    > > the more aerodynamic you want to be, and flat bars don't let you
    get down
    > > into a comfartable aerodynamic position.
    >
    > I think some people find flat bars more comfortable than drops.
    My new bike
    > has flat bars and they still seem to give a pretty aerodynamic
    posture,
    > whilst keeping easy access to the gears & brakes.

    The friendliest Cycling Club in Scotland! www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <snip> , and flat bars don't let you
    > get down
    > > > into a *comfartable* aerodynamic position.

    <snip>

    I just love the image that goes with this statement ;-) Dave.

  8. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > <snip> , and flat bars don't let you
    > > get down
    > > >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I just love the image that goes with this statement ;-) Dave.

    Jet propulsion to help with the hills? Fantastic idea, shame it doesn't seem to work...

    Velvet

  9. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
    keyboard of "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jet propulsion to help with the hills? Fantastic idea, shame it doesn't seem to work...

    You need to improve your diet if you want the wind of your passage to become a real force.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  10. >> Jet propulsion to help with the hills? Fantastic idea, shame it doesn't seem to work...

    >You need to improve your diet if you want the wind of your passage to become a real force.

    You mean ... the hole in the saddle of my Terry's Liberator isn't a fart hole after all???

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > You mean ... the hole in the saddle of my Terry's Liberator isn't a fart hole after all???

    Doubt it. Compare and contrast to the precision anatomy based computer modelled fart *slot* in
    Specialized's "Body Geometry" series of saddles, which will clearly allow rearward thrust far more
    effectively than the mere hole in the Terry models.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/